Are you a true West Sider??

We use to call railroad workers or railroad cops "Dickies". I have no idea why we did, just kid silliness I guess. It is funny you mentioning "grumpy switchman" triggered that memory.
It's all good! :)
Before I became a grumpy locomotive engineer I was a grumpy conductor. I never was a grumpy switchman because I never was a switchman. We referred to railroad cops as "gumshoes".

Does anyone know how Kim Knoppe’s Price Hill and Sedamsville real estate projects are going. I’ve see a lot of Don Johnson’s for sale signs for quite a while now but haven’t seen any sold signs. I hope the project doesn’t fail. I only assume those are part of Knoppee’s project since they all seemed to go up around the same time Knoppe announced the projects.

Any idea what's going on with the Shell on 50? All the Shell signage is covered up.
No idea, I noticed that this weekend when I went to my parents' house.

I also noticed construction at Boldface Park.

And can whoever is in charge of it please repave the bottom of Delhi and Fairbanks? I'm surprised I don't need suspension work after driving over that.

No idea, I noticed that this weekend when I went to my parents' house.

I also noticed construction at Boldface Park.

And can whoever is in charge of it please repave the bottom of Delhi and Fairbanks? I'm surprised I don't need suspension work after driving over that.
The park was the heart of Sedamsville when I was a kid. Baseball and softball games drew huge crowds. Festivals and the swimming pool… good memories. Hope it can be again.

The Gold Star in Cleves is closing June 1st. I think the writing was on the wall once Skyline moved to its more prominent location on US 50, on top of Gold Star's dining room being basically permanently closed. Disappointing because even if you don't like their chili, the burgers and chicken sandwiches are really good. I'm surprised they didn't at least wait until the one in Western Hills is completed.

If you've ever thought to yourself "The area sandwiched between Meijer and I-74 would be a great place to live," well then today's your lucky day. Developers are seeking approval from the county to build 5 apartment buildings with a total of 190 units mostly on the land behind Meijer on Harrison Ave between it and the interstate. See page 51 of this PDF: https://www.hamiltoncountyohio.gov/common/pages/DisplayFile.aspx?itemId=19571300

What's even better about this plan is that it'll mean more cars at the light by Chipotle and Starbucks.

1685057997877.png

If you've ever thought to yourself "The area sandwiched between Meijer and I-74 would be a great place to live," well then today's your lucky day. Developers are seeking approval from the county to build 5 apartment buildings with a total of 190 units mostly on the land behind Meijer on Harrison Ave between it and the interstate. See page 51 of this PDF: https://www.hamiltoncountyohio.gov/common/pages/DisplayFile.aspx?itemId=19571300

What's even better about this plan is that it'll mean more cars at the light by Chipotle and Starbucks.

View attachment 42004
Good Lord. That stretch of Harrison has more stuff crammed into it than any other road anywhere. And just when you think they're done, nope more stuff being built.

Good Lord. That stretch of Harrison has more stuff crammed into it than any other road anywhere. And just when you think they're done, nope more stuff being built.
If Starbucks was somewhere else that light wouldn’t be so bad. They should have never approved that tiny lot for a Starbucks.

If you've ever thought to yourself "The area sandwiched between Meijer and I-74 would be a great place to live," well then today's your lucky day.
Well thank you Lord, I haven’t even said my prayers tonight and they’ve already been answered. I guess I’m just a product of good, clean Amurican livin’!

View attachment 42004
Gross

Not attached, but abutted. The house itself is remarkedly intact. My understanding is that this was the home of the Kreis family, for which the nearby street is named. I also heard that it was purchased from that family sometime in the 20's by the bootlegger George Remus. Since he did not live there (his home was on Hermosa nearby) it is likely that he had the apartment building added to the property. I had heard that Max Hofmeyer's family owned it at one time in the recent past. I don't know if it is true or not, but, I heard that Remus also owned the "Island House", the little Cape Cod house sandwiched between St. Lawrence, Hermosa and Rapid Run, that gets hit by a car every once in a while. I was told that there was a phone bank in the basement for bookmaking and also Remus' security personnel were located there.

According to the Auditor's site, Henry Hofmeyer owned the property from 1975 to 2001. It's changed ownership 15 times since.

Here's a crude 3D view of it from Google Maps:
1685217823102.png

And a shot from Bing's Bird's eye view:
1685217985269.png

At their next meeting, the Hamilton County Regional Planning Commission will consider a proposed zoning change that if approved would clear the way for a new two-story 22,000 square foot police station to be built on Harrison Ave next to Lowes (across from the current Green Township building). You can see more about the proposed zoning change starting on page 73 of the PDF here: https://www.hamiltoncountyohio.gov/common/pages/DisplayFile.aspx?itemId=19603895

Attachments

• 2023-06-08 16 02 58.png
    2023-06-08 16 02 58.png
    403.2 KB · Views: 35
  • 2023-06-08 16 01 57.png
    2023-06-08 16 01 57.png
    198 KB · Views: 38
At their next meeting, the Hamilton County Regional Planning Commission will consider a proposed zoning change that if approved would clear the way for a new two-story 22,000 square foot police station to be built on Harrison Ave next to Lowes (across from the current Green Township building). You can see more about the proposed zoning change starting on page 73 of the PDF here: https://www.hamiltoncountyohio.gov/common/pages/DisplayFile.aspx?itemId=19603895
It’s a shame they can’t use the old Kroger site and eliminate a vacant building instead of tearing up more land.