Are you a true West Sider??

I remember about 20 years ago when I still lived in Riverside, the city came through and re did the lines. At the community council meeting they city talked about how Sayler Park loved the wider lanes and no turn lane so they just changed it for Riverside. The people in Riverside liked having the turn lane. The whole group of people at the meeting wanted the turn lane. The city said it was techinally not wide enough for a turn lane. Someone asked the community officer if he would ever give someone a ticket for using it as a turn lane. Officer said if the person was being safe about it no. We had a vote and it was unanimous Riverside wanted the turn lane. They city/construction company said the final stripping was supposed to be done the next day. We looked at them and said well looks like you have a long night of redoing the design. The turn lane was still there the last time I drove on the rode.

So we get a concrete plant instead of a bike trail like Riverboat Way. Really?
The city and county didn't want to lose Hilltop to NKY or where ever they were threatening to move so it was pretty much a forgone conclusion they'd move somewhere along the river on the West Side. I'm not here to defend that decision, but I don't live in the city and I didn't vote for the three persons on the county commission.

That being said Hilltop is relocating to 3279 Southside Ave which is/was an existing industrial site and the Ohio River Trail West already exists in that area. In the below image, the area circled in red is where I believe Hilltop will relocate to and the yellow line represents a portion of the ORTW. Just to the west (left) of the image is Riverside Park/Daniel Gilday Recreation area where an additional portion of the ORTW has also been built. It also continues to the east toward Boldface Park. In total it appears that about 1.3 miles of trail have been built. It's no where near what has been built elsewhere in the Cincinnati area, but it's a start.

If/When the Ohio River Trail is completed, you'll be able to ride your bike from Shawnee Lookout to Xenia, OH.

1682108067946.png

1682108757164.png

Last edited:
I saw remodeling work happening on Friday in the former Panera on Glenway. Then yesterday I saw a sign on the building saying a Mercy Health urgent care was coming soon.

Anyone know what's going on with the new supposed Gold Star on Glenway? They leveled the lot some months back and it's still sitting empty. It seems like work at the old Gold Star where Piada is supposed to go has stalled as well.

Interesting history on Hilltop. They were originally on the "hilltop" in West Price Hill/Western Hills. They used to be at Glenway and Boudinot where the LaRosa call center is located. They did try to move to Lower Price Hill where the old train station was located at the foot of the 6th Street Viaduct. Lower and East Price Hill spoke up and were able to block that (in addition to a barge loading facility also proposed). They then looked to Saylor Park and they too were able to block the move. This is the third proposed locations and I believe that it is the least objectionable.

Interesting history on Hilltop. They were originally on the "hilltop" in West Price Hill/Western Hills. They used to be at Glenway and Boudinot where the LaRosa call center is located. They did try to move to Lower Price Hill where the old train station was located at the foot of the 6th Street Viaduct. Lower and East Price Hill spoke up and were able to block that (in addition to a barge loading facility also proposed). They then looked to Saylor Park and they too were able to block the move. This is the third proposed locations and I believe that it is the least objectionable.
Very interesting. I remember Bruewer Woodworking being in the spot where LaRosas call center is. They moved to Cilley Road I believe. The Hilltop plant must have been behind that before the connector from Glenway to Ferguson was built next to the railroad tracks.

Does anyone else remember the giant Incinerator on Crookshank Road. Burned all the trash from west side homes. Your dad could back the car up and throw the family garbage into it. Was right next to a ten acre dump where you could dispose of stuff like old furniture etc.
Before there was a Rumpke.
Yes. It was discussed on this thread back on page 172. I found some links to photos from back in the day. http://yappi.com/forum/index.php?threads/are-you-a-true-west-sider.87997/page-172

Does anyone else remember the giant Incinerator on Crookshank Road. Burned all the trash from west side homes. Your dad could back the car up and throw the family garbage into it. Was right next to a ten acre dump where you could dispose of stuff like old furniture etc.
Before there was a Rumpke.
I can remember going there with dad when I was four of five. We went there several times just after dark. Dad would find a place to park and we would watch the fire. A few years later, probably 1965-66, I remember riding bikes with friends there to watch both the incinerator and Cheviot yard. Cool stuff to watch for an eight of nine year old. There was alot of traffic on Glenway even back then.

I can remember going there with dad when I was four of five. We went there several times just after dark. Dad would find a place to park and we would watch the fire. A few years later, probably 1965-66, I remember riding bikes with friends there to watch both the incinerator and Cheviot yard. Cool stuff to watch for an eight of nine year old. There was alot of traffic on Glenway even back then.
Yes. Great times. Going to watch a huge EPA sanctioned garbage fire every night with your kids. Then going to the Auto-in around the corner for $.60 per car.

Someone must have read my post because someone asked the same question in a Facebook group and apparently construction started yesterday with an August/September opening date. No word on Piada.
That’s good news. I’m getting tired of driving to the GoldStar in Hooven only to find the dining room closed.

My friends and I set a few pennies on the tracks near the trestle that spanned Wyoming Ave., in Price Hill, back in the late '60's. One time we were in the the middle of the trestle and had to make a run for it when a train caught us by surprise. My brother use to jump the train and ride it up to West High from time to time.
I believe the city missed a great opportunity for a lite-rail system running in from the west side to Union Terminal. Maybe it was a maintenance issue.

AWESOME! The Cheviot Railroad yard, and Hilltop Concrete was my childhood playground.
I knew guys that did that, but I never did. Not that I was an angel or anything. I was grounded by my dad enough as it was. Getting caught by some grumpy switchman, and having it get back to dad most probably would have resulted in me getting grounded until I retired a couple of years ago. The old man never gave me time off for good behavior either.

On another note, I looked at the Price Hill Will website to see if they have posted any updates on the survey of Potter's Field. I didn't find anything new. Has anyone heard anything about what the survey revealed?

My friends and I set a few pennies on the tracks near the trestle that spanned Wyoming Ave., in Price Hill, back in the late '60's. One time we were in the the middle of the trestle and had to make a run for it when a train caught us by surprise. My brother use to jump the train and ride it up to West High from time to time.
I believe the city missed a great opportunity for a lite-rail system running in from the west side to Union Terminal. Maybe it was a maintenance issue.
A really nice system was proposed about 20 years ago, but it was foolishly voted down.

A really nice system was proposed about 20 years ago, but it was foolishly voted down.
I respectfully disagree. The MetroMoves plan was too heavily oriented toward following existing interstate highway corridors and would have skipped huge portions of the West Side. The plan called for no service Delhi or Colerain townships, only 1 stop in Westwood, 1 stop in Lower Price Hill (no stops in East or West Price Hill) and two stops in Green Township. Using 2020 census numbers Price Hill has a total population of 36,271 (about 35,000 of which don't live in Lower Price Hill), Westwood has a population of 32,441, Delhi a population of 28,760, Colerain has 59,239 and Green Township has 60,424. Even if you accept that stops in Dent and Monfort Heights would have been sufficient for the 60,000 people who call Green Township home, that's still around 160,000 other West Siders who would have been underserved by another taxpayer funded boondoggle.

Obviously, I have a soft spot in my heart for rail transit, but a successful solution to a regional problem is going to require cooperation and funding from 3 states and 8 or 9 counties. This is true whether it's about public transportation, museums and other cultural attractions or pro sports stadia.

Last edited:
I respectfully disagree. The MetroMoves plan was too heavily oriented toward following existing interstate highway corridors and would have skipped huge portions of the West Side. The plan called for no service Delhi or Colerain townships, only 1 stop in Westwood, 1 stop in Lower Price Hill (no stops in East or West Price Hill) and two stops in Green Township. Using 2020 census numbers Price Hill has a total population of 36,271 (about 35,000 of which don't live in Lower Price Hill), Westwood has a population of 32,441, Delhi a population of 28,760, Colerain has 59,239 and Green Township has 60,424. Even if you accept that stops in Dent and Monfort Heights would have been sufficient for the 60,000 people who call Green Township home, that's still around 160,000 other West Siders who would have been underserved by another taxpayer funded boondoggle.

Obviously, I have a soft spot in my heart for rail transit, but a successful solution to a regional problem is going to require cooperation and funding from 3 states and 8 or 9 counties. This is true whether it's about public transportation, museums and other cultural attractions or pro sports stadia.
No argument there, but you have to start somewhere. I'd hope folks could have lobbied for additional stops or consideration at least for other areas. As it relates to Delhi and Price Hill, the Sedamsville and Lower Price Hill stops were a start at least.

MetroMoves-Cincinnati.jpg

I knew guys that did that, but I never did. Not that I was an angel or anything. I was grounded by my dad enough as it was. Getting caught by some grumpy switchman, and having it get back to dad most probably would have resulted in me getting grounded until I retired a couple of years ago. The old man never gave me time off for good behavior either.
We use to call railroad workers or railroad cops "Dickies". I have no idea why we did, just kid silliness I guess. It is funny you mentioning "grumpy switchman" triggered that memory.
It's all good! :)