Are you a true West Sider??

Appreciate it ... thanks for coming.

😂 And that is the first time I've ever heard that about the rye!
My family and I thoroughly enjoyed it. We will be back at least once next year. We enjoy going around trying different fish fries during Lent, much rather support local churches/non-profits than going to nasty Frisch's or something similar. The Good Friday fish fries in NKY were almost non-existent, and the ones that had them aren't ones I'd go back to.

My family and I thoroughly enjoyed it. We will be back at least once next year. We enjoy going around trying different fish fries during Lent, much rather support local churches/non-profits than going to nasty Frisch's or something similar. The Good Friday fish fries in NKY were almost non-existent, and the ones that had them aren't ones I'd go back to.
Good deal! Not sure we will be allowed to have Good Friday again next year ... our pastor wasn't all that keen on it. We seemed to win out with our "parishioners need and expect it" argument. Fingers crossed.

For the whole year, I know St. William over here is also very good and I've heard St. James is OK. Not sure who else there is. We do very much appreciate yall coming. St. Al's had a great year!

Good deal! Not sure we will be allowed to have Good Friday again next year ... our pastor wasn't all that keen on it. We seemed to win out with our "parishioners need and expect it" argument. Fingers crossed.

For the whole year, I know St. William over here is also very good and I've heard St. James is OK. Not sure who else there is. We do very much appreciate yall coming. St. Al's had a great year!

Why against Good Friday?

I spent some of my spring break helping to secure and clean up properties along South Road. It was my first mission as a Red Cross volunteer. We used Vis as a staging area. I can remember specifically working the late Dr. Rudemiller's new home. It was quite a mess. I ate a lot of cold Big Boy Platters that Frisches donated.
I was in the 8th grade at Visitation that year. I spent many trips in the back of a U-Haul going from parish to parish picking up donated food and clothing. I don't remember how long the school was closed. The roof of the school was damaged and the church lost shingles and windows were damaged. The new gym was not there back in those days. Whom ever was driving the U-Haul took us back to look at the damage on South Rd. and other streets. I remember seeing the walls of an above ground pool twisted up in a big old tree and houses were gone other than the foundations. Our house was to the north of the tornado path and all we got was hail damage.

1712003577928.png

Last edited:
I spent some of my spring break helping to secure and clean up properties along South Road. It was my first mission as a Red Cross volunteer. We used Vis as a staging area. I can remember specifically working the late Dr. Rudemiller's new home. It was quite a mess. I ate a lot of cold Big Boy Platters that Frisches donated.
I worked for a house painter that summer. We got some work on renovations along South Rd. 50 years ago hits hard. 😣

I guess it’s because we are supposed to be super somber on Good Friday, which I get. I’d rather be of service to others, though, instead of sitting around reflecting.
I feel like tons of fish fries used to be open on Good Friday. I noticed almost none were open 10 years ago when we moved across the river, and it confused me. Then, over the years, we started noticing more and more shutting down on Good Friday in Ohio and some losing their fish fries altogether. Also, down here, almost nobody has fish fries on Ash Wednesday, it's peculiar.

There will be 15 additional homes built in a new section of the Wesselman Woods subdivision. The lots will actually be off Westin Ridge—assuming this is the same development. You can see more about it here: https://www.hamiltoncountyohio.gov/common/pages/DisplayFile.aspx?itemId=20140096
According to the Business Courier these new homes will be in the $1 million price range.

Another new housing development is coming to Green Township. https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2024/03/14/janson-woods-drees-homes-development.html
A local residential real estate team is working to bring two dozen new homes to the West Side.

Ram Real Estate Group at Coldwell Banker Realty is developing Janson Woods, a 24-home subdivision in Green Township. Rakesh Ram said the new development will offer buyers half-acre home sites with quick access to the highway.

“The response has been unbelievable,” Ram told me. “There is such pent-up demand.”

Fort Mitchell-based Drees Homes will be the exclusive builder in Janson Woods, which is located off Rybolt Road. Ram said they are targeting move-up buyers – homeowners looking to upgrade – for the neighborhood.

Mike Conklin, Cincinnati division president for Drees Homes, said the homebuilder likes these infill developments on the West Side where it can get in and out quickly.

Ram said the homes in Janson Woods will offer fresh floor plans with designs that meet buyers’ needs, including spaces such as home offices. The homes in the development will start in the high $400,000s. Conklin said he expects the average sales price to be around $600,000.

Ya'all who were around in 1974: Did the tornado actually go up South Rd.? I heard that growing up, but the NWS track of the storm has it a tad away from South. I do understand that an F5 that close to the road would have torn it up pretty good, though.

(The line bisecting Werk Rd. is the tracked path.)

Screen Shot 2024-04-04 at 9.07.17 AM.png

There was a great deal of damage west of South Road as well as east from South to Ebenezer. Sayler Park and the fire station on Neeb hit too. Nothing can compare to what this storm cell did to Xenia though. That town was completely flattened.

There was a great deal of damage west of South Road as well as east from South to Ebenezer. Sayler Park and the fire station on Neeb hit too. Nothing can compare to what this storm cell did to Xenia though. That town was completely flattened.
The fire station across from Victory?

Regarding Xenia, I also learned this week while reading and watching videos that it actually touched down BEFORE the Sayler Park/Bridgetown tornado and was a completely different storm cell. I always thought the same storm proceeded from down here and dropped a new one on top of Xenia. The cell from our storm had creeped along the Ohio after dropping two F5s on either side of Lousiville and then tearing up Hanover, Indiana. What a day that must have been.

I've also seen a photo someone took of this big bastard from Glenway near Western Bowl and read that people could see it tearing up Mack and Bridgetown from West Price Hill and Cheviot. Crazy!

The fire station across from Victory?

Regarding Xenia, I also learned this week while reading and watching videos that it actually touched down BEFORE the Sayler Park/Bridgetown tornado and was a completely different storm cell. I always thought the same storm proceeded from down here and dropped a new one on top of Xenia. The cell from our storm had creeped along the Ohio after dropping two F5s on either side of Lousiville and then tearing up Hanover, Indiana. What a day that must have been.

I've also seen a photo someone took of this big bastard from Glenway near Western Bowl and read that people could see it tearing up Mack and Bridgetown from West Price Hill and Cheviot. Crazy!
My dad tells the story of delivering newspapers on his bike that day as a 13 year old when every one was telling him to get home because of the tornadoes. He said he finally pedaled home (border of Westwood and Cheviot) and walked in the house to see the tornado just barely in the distance out the back window). He said it was a very creepy type of day outside.

I've also seen a photo someone took of this big bastard from Glenway near Western Bowl
Here's a post from FB yesterday of a photo taken from the porch of Western Hills Photo and Hobby.
1712240992795.png

Here's a post from FB yesterday of a photo taken from the porch of Western Hills Photo and Hobby.
View attachment 56862
Woah. And the house my dad grew up in is less than a mile from there, so the tornado what he saw was definitely bigger and closer than what he says today.

Yep, that's the one I saw. Really fascinating.