Are you a true West Sider??

Not the case here. Their lease is up at the end of the year, the building needs repairs and the landlord wants a huge increase in rent. The same thing is playing out all over the country with big box store buildings who hit their expiration date.
I know this is an older report and may not be the direct cause Western Hills is closing, but it pretty much proves my point.

Internet shopping is killing brick and mortar shopping. Personally I prefer brick and mortar to shopping on the internet but the end is near. Brick and mortar cannot maintain the inventory levels to compete with the internet. It’s frustrating trying to find what you want, in the sizes you need in B&M stores. On the internet you’re a few clicks away from finding and having it shipped (if you’re a Prime member the next day!). I don’t see a clear path forward for B&M to compete with the internet. In five years I’m afraid we are going to be looking at a lot of empty retail space everywhere.
This internet thing is a fad, I don't think it's gonna catch on!

I know this is an older report and may not be the direct cause Western Hills is closing, but it pretty much proves my point.

both of you make solid points with rent increases and criminal activity increases. If Old Navy can come back maybe can in a few years it makes zero sense to not have a B&M store near us, but the colerain store isnt too bad of a drive.

Can anyone explain to me why we pay 25 - 30¢ more per gallon for gas in Delhi than anywhere else on the westside. Gas on Glenway is typically 25-30¢ cheaper per gallon than any gas station in Delhi.
Because too many people in Delhi are willing to just pull into a station that is convenient and pay more instead of driving 2 miles to save 30 cents a gallon. I usually fill up in Kentucky near work. The only time I get gas in Delhi is if I am on empty and I put a few bucks in to get me to a different area.

I put on Facebook awhile ago that we need to boycott Delhi stations if we want the price to come down.

Because too many people in Delhi are willing to just pull into a station that is convenient and pay more instead of driving 2 miles to save 30 cents a gallon. I usually fill up in Kentucky near work. The only time I get gas in Delhi is if I am on empty and I put a few bucks in to get me to a different area.

I put on Facebook awhile ago that we need to boycott Delhi stations if we want the price to come down.
I’ve been boycotting Delhi gas stations ever since my wife pointed out the difference to me. It really angers me.

I’ve been boycotting Delhi gas stations ever since my wife pointed out the difference to me. It really angers me.
Unfortunately, it seems this has been going on since Covid. That's when I noticed it, going to Delhi to visit my parents during Covid, making sure they were all good.

It is crazy how much more it is. Many times its 60+ cents more than I pay in NKY.

Santa Maria Community Services and Cincinnati-Hamilton County Community Action Agency are asking the city to change the zoning of 6.84 acres of land in East Price Hill located at 1048 Considine Ave from single family residential to planned development. According to the City Planning Commission, the land was once home to CMHA owned apartments.

The proposed Concept Plan and Development Program Statement is for the redevelopment of the 6.84-acre site to consolidate all of Santa Maria’s existing services into a single location, as well as create a new Community Action Agency HeadStart that will serve approximately 200 students each day. Other site improvements include landscaping, walking trails, raised gardening beds and a playground to serve the facilities.

The applicant anticipates that the site will be split and a portion sold to CAA to facilitate the creation of the HeadStart. This would be considered a Major Subdivision per Sections 200-01-S5 and 200-01-S6 of the Subdivision Regulations, since a portion of the subject property is located within the Hillside Overlay District. The subdivision and construction of the new HeadStart building would occur after the Santa Maria building, constituting the second phase of the Planned Development. The Major Subdivision requires review by the City Planning Commission.

You can read more starting on page 69 of this PDF: https://www.cincinnati-oh.gov/plann...anning-commission/january-19-2024-cpc-packet/

Santa Maria Community Services and Cincinnati-Hamilton County Community Action Agency are asking the city to change the zoning of 6.84 acres of land in East Price Hill located at 1048 Considine Ave from single family residential to planned development. According to the City Planning Commission, the land was once home to CMHA owned apartments.

You can read more starting on page 69 of this PDF: https://www.cincinnati-oh.gov/plann...anning-commission/january-19-2024-cpc-packet/
1705092376435.png

Santa Maria has been looking to build a purpose built building to consolidate all of their operations. Several existing buildings were offered to them but were found wanting. They do very good work in the neighborhood. I hope their new building will be attractive and functional and will be a credit to the neighborhood.

This really isn’t West Side related other than bringing back memories of when ice skating at Rapid Run Park was a winter tradition on the westside. I drove through Eden Park today and there was a large group playing hockey on the upper pond. Lots of college and NHL jerseys, they had a large grill set up. It looked like a lot of fun if you’re a hockey player. I bet they will be there again tomorrow taking advantage of a weather opportunity we don’t get around here too often anymore.

This really isn’t West Side related other than bringing back memories of when ice skating at Rapid Run Park was a winter tradition on the westside. I drove through Eden Park today and there was a large group playing hockey on the upper pond. Lots of college and NHL jerseys, they had a large grill set up. It looked like a lot of fun if you’re a hockey player. I bet they will be there again tomorrow taking advantage of a weather opportunity we don’t get around here too often anymore.
I took my granddaughter to Rapid Run yesterday with our old Flexible Flyer. There were a couple families sledding on the small hill near the entrance and a snowboarder on the big hill across the lake. There was also a Hispanic couple with a five year old girl who was playing in the snow for the first time in her young life. We took to the big hill and asked if the little Hispanic girl might like to try sledding. It was a joy to watch the two girls have such a good time.

The lake was frozen over but very rough due to the snow. When I was a kid, we would not allow snow to freeze to the ice surface and would have been shoveling it off as quick as it fell, in order to keep the ice suitable for skating. Unfortunately kids rarely own skates these days so not too much outdoor lake skating going on.

With my grandkids, we now have four generations that have enjoyed the best sledding hills in Cincinnati at Rapid Run Park.

So, it looks like CPS is wanting to make big changes, which is good. One being adding onto Cheviot School's Gifted program. On page 3 below, it talks about adding on to accommodate that or it sounds like making a separate Spencer West (Spencer is the Gifted High School on the East Side). If they are looking for space, I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to rent, lease, or buy St. Martin's school since they seem to be focused on continuing the success of Cheviot's gifted program.... That would be great for Cheviot if it remains a school.

I grew up on sunset ln went to Elder
I remember walking to rapid run park in the 2010s with my sisters and going sledding down the hill. We would build snow ramps and try to hit them!
One time I fell into the cold pond and it was a long wet walk home hahaha
I remember the blizzard of 78 where Rapid Run Park was the place to be. I still remember kids actually ice skating down the hill because it was frozen. Seeing my Mom and Dad ice skating on the pond is a neat memory. Now being an East sider, Asbury Hill in Mount Washington is were we took the kids. Neat memories for sure :)

The Elder Community, the Westside and Price Hill has suffered a great loss. Russ Brogran, the owner of Brogan's Oil on Glenway near Elder died three days ago. I always enjoyed chatting with him at Elder football games or at his counter when dropping off or picking up one of our cars. He always had a smile on his face and I never found a reason to question his honesty and ethics as it relates to his business. I figure he saved me a bundle over the years for all of the repairs I thought I needed but he found that I didn't.

Requiescat in pace Russ. From the Enquirer:

Russell J. "Russ" passed away on January 23rd at the age of 77. Preceded in death by his loving wife of 53 years, Susan. Survived by children Colleen (Brian) Roth; Michael (Shannon); Jeff (Katie); Sean (Allyson); and Erin (Joe) Lind. Russ was the proud grandpa of 12: Abby, Natalie, Jacob, Ryan, Joey, Drew, Ellie, Chase, Bennett, Miles, Laney, and Harper. Russ’ family included brothers Dan - deceased (Joan) Skip (Linda); Tim (Judy); Pat (Rita); Seamus; Dave (Helen); sister Peggy (Larry - deceased); in-laws Mark and Dianne Mercurio; Jerry and Delphi Mercurio; and 31 nieces and nephews. Also preceded in death by his special angel grandson Chase and parents Lucy and Paul ‘Mickey”. Russ was the ultimate family man, a great friend to many and community leader. He was the backbone of his family, supporting his wife, children, and grandchildren in countless ways. He was a fair and honest businessman opening and building Brogan Oil, a trusted car repair shop he owned for 50 years. Russ was dedicated and loyal toward his faith and community. He was an active member of St Teresa parish his entire life, served as an Army Reservist and volunteered with the Boys and Girls Club. Russ was a big supporter of Elder High School. After graduating in 1965 he became a member of the alumni board, serving for 58 years. Russ had a life well lived – he put his family first, was a great friend to many, a successful businessman and had a positive impact on his community. Visitation will be held on Sun. January 28th from 1p until 5p at Elder High School’s Schaeper Center, 4005 Glenway Ave, Cincinnati, OH 45205. Mass of Christian Burial will take place on Mon. January 29th at St. Teresa of Avila at 11am, followed by a graveside service at St Joseph’s New Cemetery 4500 Foley Rd, Cincinnati, OH 45238. Memorial Donations may be made to Elder High School, http://www.elderhs.org/giving or Cincinnati Children’s Heart Institute, www.cincinnatichildrens.org/donate

From The Cincinnati Business Courier:
The Hamilton County Capital Prioritization Task Force is led by 16 business, nonprofit and community leaders, including Western & Southern CEO John Barrett, FC Cincinnati co-CEO Jeff Berding, Urban League CEO Christie Kuhns, Mayor Aftab Pureval and Hamilton County Commissioner Alicia Reece.

It makes requests every two years on behalf of the region for the capital budget. This year, it has asked for $24.2 million from the capital budget and another $80 million from the state’s One-Time Strategic Community Investment Fund.
Some Westside(-ish) projects for which funding was requested:

• Werk Road property improvements for Great Parks of Hamilton County, $1.25 million
  • Harrison Community Center Park, $650,000
  • YMCA of Greater Cincinnati Price Hill sports complex, $650,000
  • Green Township Kuliga Park, $650,000
  • North Bend William Henry Harrison Riverfront Park, $500,000
  • Addyston Park phase III, $200,000
  • Colerain Township Heritage Park, $75,000
  • BLOC Ministries Horses on the Hill, $500,000
  • Santa Maria Community Services One building, Thriving Families, $450,000
Full article: https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinn...ati-projects-request-ohio-capital-budget.html