AP Poll

I have a question.....how do people vote on the teams? Specifically, I'm asking about how records are submitted.

There is a team who, in last weeks poll, had a record listed as 15-1. And the week before that, the poll had them listed as 15-0. I"m assuming they were in the poll as an undefeated every week before that too, as they were 15-0 two weeks ago.

Here's the thing: They lost their OPENING game! Is this just a mistake on the Poll's part? Or is this something submitted by the school/coach?
It that is the case, shame on them for what I would guess was a play to try to get ranked higher by not putting in a correct record.

Their record went:
0-1
9-1
9-2
10-3
12-4
14-5
and now 15-5,

but in last weeks poll, when they were listed at 15-1, they were either 13-3 or 14-4.

I'm a fan of the school and the team, but I find this really disturbing and bothersome.

Fairmont beat Wayne tonight 54-34 and played a solid overall game. Very interesting considering the latest poll.
There is a bias against recent success in a program. Conversely, the "proven" programs get the AP votes. On the other hand , Wayne did defeat Fairmont early in the year and their only other loss was to the number one team. I prefer power rankings by a computer over human votes. Maxpreps has Fairmint above Wayne likely due to the wide point margin of their victory over them in their most recent meeting.

Speaking of Maxpreps, they have one AP #1 ranked as low as #11 in their division and #80 in the state.
Another thing I have noticed over the years is a bias for North East schools over other areas of the state. Maxpreps makes those corrections as there are enough crossover games these days to get a better computer reading of real vs percieved strength.

Dont let it bother you too much. The two state championship teams I have followed were not highly ranked in the AP, but did just fine in the tournament knocking off multiple higher ranked teams along the way. That's way more emotionally satisfying than losing to a team the poll says you should beat.

There is a bias against recent success in a program. Conversely, the "proven" programs get the AP votes. On the other hand , Wayne did defeat Fairmont early in the year and their only other loss was to the number one team. I prefer power rankings by a computer over human votes. Maxpreps has Fairmint above Wayne likely due to the wide point margin of their victory over them in their most recent meeting.

Speaking of Maxpreps, they have one AP #1 ranked as low as #11 in their division and #80 in the state.
Another thing I have noticed over the years is a bias for North East schools over other areas of the state. Maxpreps makes those corrections as there are enough crossover games these days to get a better computer reading of real vs percieved strength.

Dont let it bother you too much. The two state championship teams I have followed were not highly ranked in the AP, but did just fine in the tournament knocking off multiple higher ranked teams along the way. That's way more emotionally satisfying than losing to a team the poll says you should beat.
I fundamentally agree with you, but MaxPreps is only as good as the information it is provided--and there's a ton of bad information and duplicates out there. The good thing is that we have a tournament and crown real champions, and everyone has at least a puncher's chance.

I saw Massillon Jackson get by a mediocre North Canton team earlier this season. I didn’t think the Polar Bears looked like a top-20 team but their stock kept growing in the AP poll. As of FEB 4 they rose to #3 in DI and I thought I truly must have missed something so I looked forward to watching them again. I did last night where the #3 Polar Bears lost to unranked Stow by 22 points - 65-43 and never led at any point of the game.

So what is the real purpose of the poll? To award good feelings to a program or elevate/confirm the the status of a program to its fans? Really...is it about esteem? I can think of no other value for a high school poll in this day and age. As evident, the voters do not find value in it for the overall rankings that we see are quite poor. Some of the rankings are fair and others are no more than guesses at best. There should be no voting unless you have seen all the ‘best’ teams play. How many teams is that - who knows? Improbable to see all those teams? Yes. So terminate this foolishness and eradicate the high school state and national polls (that’s a whole other ridiculous animal in itself). We’re fortunate to have an all-in state tournament to help us determine what we want to know.

Jackson went unbeaten in the Federal League this season to claim the school's 1st ever outright league title. The league is well respected around the state, so I'm sure going unbeaten in the league resonated with many of the poll voters. Having said that, while it is still an above average league, the Fed is as down this year as it has been in a very long time. The league has no elite teams this year. See Jackson's bookend regular season losses against Medina and Stow as well as GlenOak's performance at the CITC.

The polls are what they are. I don't know why people spend so much time and energy complaining about them given the fact mentioned above that we have a statewide tournament to determine who the best team is. However, it is a sign that the polls are accomplishing one of their main purposes which is to generate conversation about the sport.