Any limits to spectators for Softball this year?

For Tallmadge:

Spectators
  • Home team = 4 spectators per participant (i.e., athlete or coach)
  • Away team = 2 spectators per participant (i.e., athlete or coach)

Depending on how the facility is setup it could be really hard to enforce any kind of limits. I know Shawnee has no good way to enforce ticketing for Softball or Baseball. And even if they found a way there is no way to really stop people from just setting up chairs beyond the outfield and watching anyway.

Why would they put a restriction on spectators? It’s outside? We played an entire summer league last year, not 1 mask was worn, only restrictions were they taped off directly behind home plate.

Why would they put a restriction on spectators? It’s outside? We played an entire summer league last year, not 1 mask was worn, only restrictions were they taped off directly behind home plate.
Very true, played baseball outside all summer long without an issue. This past weekend, however, my son's college team played in the state of Illinois and they had limited home spectators (2/player w/reservation) and ZERO visiting spectators. Think it was a conference rule as the same thing happened the prior week in Missouri. Thank goodness they are now done with non-conference games and we can get back to live spectating. Hopefully no schools in Ohio are this crazy strict so all the high school kids can have a normal season. BTW, son's team also played in Tennessee....no restrictions.

This is where common sense should be used. Come up with a maximum number of fans that can watch a game and observe the games to make sure that limit isn't exceeded. I suspect 99.5% of the games in baseball and softball will not approach the limit. If they do, then come up with a ticketing system. Otherwise, let the games go on as usual and don't deny people the right to see their school play.

I saw this over enforcement in the Fall and Winter. Same gym was used for all HS/MS volleyball and basketball games. A varsity game could have upwards of 150 people at the game. When the Middle School played there, people were turned away but the crowd never exceeded 40 people. It was the same gym...

Outside of a district championship or regional game, you rarely see more than 40 or 50 people at a high school baseball or softball game. Limiting the number of fans is just another way to pretend they are keeping people safe.

I think a safe limit for a baseball or softball game would be around 200 fans. If it takes less than a minute to count all the fans, it's not something to worry about. Also, there is a chance that the numbers for Covid continue to drop and we could get rid of all limits. Putting these limits out there before the season likely means we will live with limits all season even if there is no need.

I think a safe limit for a baseball or softball game would be around 200 fans. If it takes less than a minute to count all the fans, it's not something to worry about. Also, there is a chance that the numbers for Covid continue to drop and we could get rid of all limits. Putting these limits out there before the season likely means we will live with limits all season even if there is no need.
I am sure that should the state drop their limits the OHSAA would drop theirs... Once the tourney started and they get the money.