Another Pit Bull kills a child.

This is awful - and avoidable. Here are the six most dangerous dog breeds, starting with the pit bull:

While I love dogs, including German Shepards and Huskies (listed in the article), these dog breeds are not good pets for young children.

Who knows, they have been watching too many Youtube videos of "cute" pitbulls and similar breeds.
My neighbor has a pit bull that barks and wags it's tail at the same time. No way I'm going to try to pet it.

As a bike rider, I have had multiple encounters with charging pit bulls that owners could not control.

That said, I hate it when I hear of a child or an elderly person getting visiously attacked - especially by a pit bull. :( and :mad:

My neighbor has a pit bull that barks and wags it's tail at the same time. No way I'm going to try to pet it.

As a bike rider, I have had multiple encounters with charging pit bulls that owners could not control.

That said, I hate it when I hear of a child or an elderly person getting visiously attacked - especially by a pit bull. :( and :mad:
As a road cyclist, I've had many confrontations with a variety of dogs. At one race back in the late 90's, a fellow rider asked me about the "V" tattoo on my calf and what it meant........I replied that it was not a tattoo, but a German Sheppard bite scar. Yes, it was painful when it happened.

As a road cyclist, I've had many confrontations with a variety of dogs. At one race back in the late 90's, a fellow rider asked me about the "V" tattoo on my calf and what it meant........I replied that it was not a tattoo, but a German Sheppard bite scar. Yes, it was painful when it happened.
From the article:

In the United States, German Shepherd is the second most popular dog breed, also known as Alsation. They are an important part of police squads across the world. Studies have shown that German Shepherds are the 3rd most intelligent dogs, that’s why these are used in the police department. When they do attack, they attack with a bite that has a force of over 1,060 newtons. German shepherds caused 20 deaths between a period of 2005-2017, according to data by dogsbite.org.

I'll bet it hurt. Whatever a newton is, 1060 is a lot! Glad it was not worse.

This is awful - and avoidable. Here are the six most dangerous dog breeds, starting with the pit bull:

While I love dogs, including German Shepards and Huskies (listed in the article), these dog breeds are not good pets for young children.
We had a husky for 17 years and he was around from the time our children were babies. We couldn’t have asked for a better protector.

We had a husky for 17 years and he was around from the time our children were babies. We couldn’t have asked for a better protector.
Yeah, that was a broad brush comment. I've seen tots and large dogs get along famously. Would a smaller breed be better or just as dangerous? ?‍♂️

For the record, we had a full-size GS and had no problems. Does it depend on how dogs are treated as some say? Or, are some dogs just unpredictable?

I could not disagree more about German Shepherds.

Amazing animals if trained.

Yeah, that was a broad brush comment. I've seen tots and large dogs get along famously. Would a smaller breed be better or just as dangerous? ?‍♂️

For the record, we had a full-size GS and had no problems. Does it depend on how dogs are treated as some say? Or, are some dogs just unpredictable?
Any dog can be unpredictable, same with humans. We NEVER left our kids alone with the dog when they were little but after some years passed we realized he was their best friend and would always protect them. Leaving a small child alone with ANY dog, let alone a pit, a week after you got the dog is beyond stupid

Any dog can be unpredictable, same with humans. We NEVER left our kids alone with the dog when they were little but after some years passed we realized he was their best friend and would always protect them. Leaving a small child alone with ANY dog, let alone a pit, a week after you got the dog is beyond stupid
Dogs can become or be made to be neurotic like humans. Pack behavior gone wrong. Same as us.

There was a reason the previous owner got rid of that dog. We've taken in a few "broken" dogs, but only small.

Re German Shepherds (and possibly almost any other large breed), I'm guessing they make the list because of poor training, inappopriate training, mistreatment, etc.. I also love them as a breed. Every one I've met has approached me correctly and made nice. But one day I just may run into one that doesn't .......

Anyone here have contact with a Cane Corso? No idea of their temperament, but man, they are impressive-looking.

I'm almost sure they didn't count the number of people tripped over a chihuahua or got shin splints from a poodle.

I’ll take my chances with a mini Aussie or a beagle..

I’ll take my chances with a mini Aussie or a beagle..

I've seen plenty tempermental biting beagles. Particularly as they get old. A Lab youngling might just see a little kid as another sock toy. I agree with the nut job, best to keep a good eye out until they imprint.

From the article:

In the United States, German Shepherd is the second most popular dog breed, also known as Alsation. They are an important part of police squads across the world. Studies have shown that German Shepherds are the 3rd most intelligent dogs, that’s why these are used in the police department. When they do attack, they attack with a bite that has a force of over 1,060 newtons. German shepherds caused 20 deaths between a period of 2005-2017, according to data by dogsbite.org.

A Newton is equal to roughly .25 pounds. My physics teacher joked that we should go to McDonald's and order a Newton burger instead of a quarter pounder. Stupid joke but helped me remember the value of a Newton.

From the article:

My Dad couldn't wrestle with us outside or even push us on a swing if one Shepherd was out and he had a coat on. The dog had no sense of how hard it was biting him. Many newtons.

I've seen plenty tempermental biting beagles. Particularly as they get old. A Lab youngling might just see a little kid as another sock toy. I agree with the nut job, best to keep a good eye out until they imprint.
But it’s not going to killl anyone … that’s the difference

To this day my favorite breed. Awesome dogs.
I could not disagree more about German Shepherds.

Amazing animals if trained.
Several friends have Shepherds and they are great dogs. Always comes down to the owner.
And my daughter has a bull mastiff, that dog is afraid of everything, even though she weighs a buck fifty ?
Good bud has had two. Yes they do not last long (his first was maybe 6-7 years). The latest one is a giant puzz ball. Just a big docile dog.

Many times it always comes down to the owner and bloodlines. Dog breeders choose parents that score high in temper and smarts. My issue with many owners today is they buy a dog without thinking it through. Many owners get a dog because they have a TV/Movie picture running through their head. Dogs take work and cost money. The first two years are like having a toddler. Training them properly takes time & effort. Most untrained dogs see children as competition. During the pandemic dog ownership spiked. Now all of these idiots who did not realize the work are returning these animals to the pound.

Much like with oblivious parents these days dog owners have an arrogant perception of their own pet. Keep the thing leashed. Just because you find your pet cute does not mean everyone else does. Do not allow the thing to run up to people or jump up on them. Strangers do not know your dog's personality like you do.

Drive through the hood and you will see pit bulls are big street cred. We need to stiffen the law on these idiots. These are bred by illegal puppy mills who unlike registered breeders breed in aggresion. Most of their dogs are not registered, do not have their shots, and are let loose by the owner when the new car smell ends and the animal becomes a burden. Toledo kills 15-20 "pit pull" dogs a week that were found roaming the streets (released by a $chitball owner). The worst part is that same owner will go right back out in 6 mos. and get another one only to repeat the process.

Have heard it's not the breed, it's the owner. This is largely a true statement. However, it's also true that trash humans appear to be drawn to pitties more than other breeds.
YUP! I'll say this though......it's much safer to own a small dog than a big dog.

The pit bull problem comes down to a fatal combination of idiot owners and the breed's capacity to do harm. If the same owners all decided to get Malteses and they were biting, or only responsible people got pits, we'd never hear about it. Unfortunately, it became trendy and a status symbol for some idiots to have pit bulls. If you go to any shelter you'll see them full of pits abandoned by the same irresponsible idiots.