All Ohio School Facilities Closed Through June 30

thePITman

The Ohio Department of Health has announced that ALL SCHOOL FACILITIES will be closed through June 30. The OHSAA has also announced that the no-contact period has been extended through May 31.

This was sent to school admins today just before 4pm, so no links are out yet. But to quote the OHSAA's email:
"Through a call to the ODH, it was clearly stated that this extends to all school facilities as well and includes stadiums, baseball/softball diamonds, and tracks."

Gonna be a long time before a vaccine! Looks like “normal” school and Fall Sports maybe in jeopardy next.

This morning's meeting with the South Carolina Superintendent of Education included guidelines for things like 1.) No non-essential field trips or assemblies (so no pep rallies) 2.) students would eat lunch in their classrooms at all levels and 3.) classroom desks would be 6 feet apart in all directions. #1 implies that drama productions, band performances, choir concerts and athletics would be not only in danger but cancelled. #2 is doable if #3 actually comes to fruition. All I know is with #3 my class size just went from 30 to 5 :) haha.

So perhaps I am breaking the rule when I enter school grounds to walk my dog? They closed the local park so school grounds was s decent replacement. Guess I should tell the kids playing baseball on the field and the five on five pickup game going on on the basketball court that the courts are closed.

I could turn these kids in but I prefer they constructively play on the courts vs what teens could be doing in the face of frustration.

This morning's meeting with the South Carolina Superintendent of Education included guidelines for things like 1.) No non-essential field trips or assemblies (so no pep rallies) 2.) students would eat lunch in their classrooms at all levels and 3.) classroom desks would be 6 feet apart in all directions. #1 implies that drama productions, band performances, choir concerts and athletics would be not only in danger but cancelled. #2 is doable if #3 actually comes to fruition. All I know is with #3 my class size just went from 30 to 5 :) haha.
Unless the 6 ft. social distancing thing is dropped I don't see how a school can operate.

So perhaps I am breaking the rule when I enter school grounds to walk my dog? They closed the local park so school grounds was s decent replacement. Guess I should tell the kids playing baseball on the field and the five on five pickup game going on on the basketball court that the courts are closed.

I could turn these kids in but I prefer they constructively play on the courts vs what teens could be doing in the face of frustration.

If they burgler a home as a group, I hope they observe proper social distancing.

All facilities are closed except Dublin City Schools who tweeted to the world a big middle finger and said “you’re not the boss of me” to the OHSAA and the Dept of Health.

Tweeted yesterday (and multiple times since OHSAA ordered athletic facilities closed in March)
B0EDB158-3EFC-44A0-8432-BE1647F2DB58.jpeg
:

Good for Dublin. This was a far reaching announcement that was affecting more than they realized. Ultimately, I think it was to stop the Summer travel teams from using school facilities but they didn't realize that there are alot of non-athletes that use school facilities. The track walkers/runners are still out there and there was no good reason to stop them.

The OHSAA needs to step back and think about what they should and should not be governing. The local schools should be able to decide how they use their facilities. If a Dad wants to take his son into the outdoor batting cages on school grounds, no one should care.

Maybe it is a separate definition for what is a school facility and what is a community facility. The partnership between the schools and cities has blurred the line who owns what, at least in my community.

Walkers and runners use our old HS stadium track more than all the school events put together.

IMO, this was a bad move to try and close one of the main places that people get exercise while maintaining social distancing.

All facilities are closed except Dublin City Schools who tweeted to the world a big middle finger and said “you’re not the boss of me” to the OHSAA and the Dept of Health.

Tweeted yesterday (and multiple times since OHSAA ordered athletic facilities closed in March)View attachment 6994:

I hope other Districts follow suit! Hell on May 12th I think it is, my dog can get a haircut but not the guy/gal that’s been working at Kroger’s for 50 straight days for who knows how many hrs a day! Anal Acton and Dictator DeWine have gone to far with all this crap! The “projected” numbers they have been giving are an absolute joke but clearly they still believe them! I personally don’t think the OHSAA has the authority to Close a Schools Facilities. OHSAA can extend no contact period and tell Schools/Coaches no practice gatherings or workouts but I don’t know how they can tell a District what they can and can’t open on school grounds especially if Social Distancing followed.

Our baseball field is locked up. The football field has been locked up. Last night it was not locked. Maybe to let people in to mow the grass? Anyways my wife and I went in and walked the track. I kind of own part of that track anyways.