Akron East

The only thing that could break St. V's iron grip on Akron-area talent happened - another parochial took over. And it happened surgical and quick. They got caught flat-footed but I expect them to figure it out at some point and re-commit themselves to "competing" for those "students." (if you catch my drift). ;)
Excellent

So now that East is 0-3, what happened? Should pick up W's against North, Firestone, but what about the Raminals of Kenmore-garfield?

I believe coaching is the problem. East hasn't really had any coaching stability since Dom Patella.
The head coach is the perfect fit for the job and is doing great getting and keeping talent. However, he needs some help with the offense and cleaning up all the little mistakes that add up throughout their games.

All the "LITTLE" mistakes that happen throughout the game are the personal fouls and cheap shots the players take at opponents. THAT is a direct reflection of undisciplined players and the coach must condone it. I have not seen a player get yanked out of a game after a cheap shot, which tells the players that they can do anything and coach will not pull us out. It is also why they would not be a serious threat to win any type of title in the playoffs because when things start to go bad, the undisciplined actions would come to the fore front. I hope they make the City Series interesting, because ain't a team from Akron making the playoffs this year.

All about the X's and O's. Poor gameday coaching is wasting a bunch of talent at East and Buchtel in terms of winning games.
At least they are helping some kids get the opportunity to play at the next level.
This is a totally untrue statement, when yoesyu strip the schools you play of their talent, to make a hand picked all-star team, that doesn't make you a better coach on game day. Let them coach someone other the best they can recruit, and see what happens then, and on top of that the officiating on Green St. is a horrible versus the other team.

The Irish are down this year and maybe for a few more years. They are lucky to be back in D3. They have lost around 6 players over the past 2 years that have depleted the roster with no depth. Not much come up through the pipeline, as the freshman team lost to Walsh.
Why is that? Their pipeline extends to Youngstown and further!

The only thing that could break St. V's iron grip on Akron-area talent happened - another parochial took over. And it happened surgical and quick. They got caught flat-footed but I expect them to figure it out at some point and re-commit themselves to "competing" for those "students." (if you catch my drift). ;)
Drift caught!

Hoban out St. V'd St. V. When the Irish were on top, what you heard from the Hoban folks was derisive mumbling about the non-CYO type athletes SVSM was attracting. "Pay to go public school" was one of their favorite phrases. Now that they are getting the bulk of the top area athletes that jibberish has completely gone away.
Ain’t it funny how that happens.

The East Dragons website list 6 coaches (including Hayes) with coaching experience of at least 7 years EACH and up to ten years for some of the coaches, all at EHS. Their record against non-conference teams since 2010 is a dismal 13-32. Their jobs should not be as STABLE as they are.

The East Dragons website list 6 coaches (including Hayes) with coaching experience of at least 7 years EACH and up to ten years for some of the coaches, all at EHS. Their record against non-conference teams since 2010 is a dismal 13-32. Their jobs should not be as STABLE as they are.

How were the previous staffs? How do they compare to the other City Series staffs since Hayes showed up? I think those two answers will tell you why they're still there.

In the 7 years leading up to Hayes, East won a total of 14 games. They were a doormat. In his years there, in order, they've won 0, 2, 5, 4, 7, 7 and 8 games. That's steady growth under some pretty awful conditions.

Last edited:
East staring at 0-4 but I don't see them losing any league games including Buchtel so 6-4 I think for the orientals.

I know what you are thinking. D minus is better than an F. I think that coaching staff is there because no one else wants to be there or at any other city school for that matter. I've been following Akron East for 55 years and have never seen them win a huge game (in my opinion). The talent seems to be there most years so the losses have to fall on the coaching staff. Dover rolls this Friday.

I know what you are thinking. D minus is better than an F. I think that coaching staff is there because no one else wants to be there or at any other city school for that matter. I've been following Akron East for 55 years and have never seen them win a huge game (in my opinion). The talent seems to be there most years so the losses have to fall on the coaching staff. Dover rolls this Friday.

I get it and I understand your loyalty. My point is that the program is much better now than it was for a long period before Hayes arrived. The East district is also a very different place than it was in East's heyday.

Dover will roll? East has enough talent to beat them. ? Is do they want it? Are they hungary enough? Your not stepping on the field with St. Ignatius.

Well in the 55 years you followed them Hayes got you your first playoff appearance and victory! No other coaches have done that. Plus APS coaching jobs aren't
attractive jobs. 10 out of conference wins is pretty good. If Hayes record is bad then every hc in APS football should be fired.

Aye bro chill you acting like East is a perennial power. In my entire existence East has never smelled the playoffs let alone win playoff game. Your community has never had aspirations of being a football fan in November it was always basketball season. How dare you. This is the best coaching staff your school has EVER had. They are not great but this is the first staff that has been able to keep the kids at home. Aye bro let me be clear you got pretty much the best you gone get. Now in my 4 years of high school my Griffs rolled on East by more than 54 points 3 out of 4 years. Yall just started winning 2 or 3 years ago come on man. You need to enjoy the ride because it won't always be like this.

I can't believe this post D minus is better than a F. How about a C is better than a 0 because thats how many playoff appearances and city championships I recall East having in my lifetime!!! The nerve and I'm a Griff

Since the start of the 2010 season, the Akron City Series teams' nonleague records prior this weekend:
Buchtel, 8-33
East, 11-30
Ellet, 24-16 (1 nonleague game was cancelled in 2017)
Firestone, 3-38
Garfield, 8-20
Kenmore, 7-21
Kenmore-Garfield, 3-10
North, 2-39

Since the start of 2016 (when the current seniors would've entered HS):
Buchtel, 4-13
East, 8-9
Ellet, 9-7 (1 nonleague game was cancelled in 2017)
Firestone, 1-16
Garfield, 1-3
Kenmore, 1-3
Kenmore-Garfield, 3-10
North, 0-17

That brings us to the next piece of the puzzle: In the past few years, East has been scheduling more like Buchtel and less like Ellet. Is there a difference in how Ellet is able to schedule vs. how Buchtel is able to schedule? Obviously, Buchtel is forced to schedule the way they do because of reputation and the need for guaranteed payouts. Firestone's scheduling is very similar to Buchtel's, so I assume they're getting paid to play some of their opponents. I'm sure East is getting a decent payday for games with the likes of Jackson, Perry, Dover, etc. Is Ellet not scheduling as many games that carry guaranteed payouts?

Since the start of the 2010 season, the Akron City Series teams' nonleague records prior this weekend:
Buchtel, 8-33
East, 11-30
Ellet, 24-16 (1 nonleague game was cancelled in 2017)
Firestone, 3-38
Garfield, 8-20
Kenmore, 7-21
Kenmore-Garfield, 3-10
North, 2-39

Since the start of 2016 (when the current seniors would've entered HS):
Buchtel, 4-13
East, 8-9
Ellet, 9-7 (1 nonleague game was cancelled in 2017)
Firestone, 1-16
Garfield, 1-3
Kenmore, 1-3
Kenmore-Garfield, 3-10
North, 0-17

That brings us to the next piece of the puzzle: In the past few years, East has been scheduling more like Buchtel and less like Ellet. Is there a difference in how Ellet is able to schedule vs. how Buchtel is able to schedule? Obviously, Buchtel is forced to schedule the way they do because of reputation and the need for guaranteed payouts. Firestone's scheduling is very similar to Buchtel's, so I assume they're getting paid to play some of their opponents. I'm sure East is getting a decent payday for games with the likes of Jackson, Perry, Dover, etc. Is Ellet not scheduling as many games that carry guaranteed payouts?

Goon info Mr. Slippery, as always. I would suspect it is as you suggest, a way to help fund the program. Ellet has a decent booster system that helps in that regard while Buchtel and East do not. It's the old Claude Brown model.

Dover will roll? East has enough talent to beat them.

Dover never takes Akron East lightly. This has been a close series over the last 3 years, with Dover leading 2-1. Each game has been tight, with Dover winning by only 4 points in 2018, losing by 10 in 2017, and winning by 8 in 2016. This Friday, Dover’s looking to earn its 700th win in school history.

Akron East has great athletes all over the place and always has a huge size and speed advantage over Dover. East’s LB Kamara was impressive against SVSM. Besides Kamara and DE Williamson on defense, Dover must also contend with an East offense that includes talented WR Jones.

Team discipline and coaching advantage decidedly go to Dover. That said, Dover’s one loss to East occurred when Dover chose to play it conservatively two years ago. This Friday, hoping Dover can bring the same energy and confidence it brought last Saturday morning to Wooster following Friday’s lightning-delayed game, where Dover looked a bit flat.

GO DOVER!

How were the previous staffs? How do they compare to the other City Series staffs since Hayes showed up? I think those two answers will tell you why they're still there.

In the 7 years leading up to Hayes, East won a total of 14 games. They were a doormat. In his years there, in order, they've won 0, 2, 5, 4, 7, 7 and 8 games. That's steady growth under some pretty awful conditions.
If you don't use City Series games, his WINS are 0, 0, 1, 0, 2, 3, and 4. I noticed that you picked Dover to win this Friday, along with just about everyone else. That just leaves a 0 or a 1 to add to the list for this year.

If you don't use City Series games, his WINS are 0, 0, 1, 0, 2, 3, and 4. I noticed that you picked Dover to win this Friday, along with just about everyone else. That just leaves a 0 or a 1 to add to the list for this year.

Okay, I've been subtle enough. What do you want? Firestone, K-G, North and Ellet would die for what's going on at East, along with countless other city schools throughout Ohio. It seems to me you've set the standard as the East teams of 50 years ago.

It seems that everyone is missing my point. This team was rated as high as number 10 by some area polls. If it's not the fault of the coaching staff, I guess city kids just can't play football.

We get the point. We just don't agree with your criticism of the guy who resurrected an awful program and brought kids back that were escaping to other programs.

I get that he may not be Knute Rockne, but he's brought back the program from the dead and gotten a lot of kids free college educations in the process.