Africentric stays loaded

Spring doesn't listen to other viewpoints. No argument to lose from his/her perspective. Just judgments from an obviously very narrow life experience.

Racist people and yappi let's them get away with it . are you big enough to say who you are I sure am and willing .
The schtick sure sounds like Brian. OK, who are you? Which people are racists, you should report them to yappi. You going to self report?

So, how long did you live in Nubia? Why didn't Africentric pick a mascot reflective of "black" Africa? How did they pick their mascot?

Come on folks, please get back to talking basketball. Spring, you made a huge leap in logic and the throwing around of 'racist' is out of line. They spoke from their experience. It's not out of line when there is no mascot to wonder what a Nubian is. I've actually learned a lot about African history from this discussion, quit playing the 'victim' over a freaking goat.

P.S. If you don't like how a post is being handled, report it... or private message Yappi. I seriously doubt you've done either.

Come on folks, please get back to talking basketball. Spring, you made a huge leap in logic and the throwing around of 'racist' is out of line. They spoke from their experience. It's not out of line when there is no mascot to wonder what a Nubian is. I've actually learned a lot about African history from this discussion, quit playing the 'victim' over a freaking goat.
Lol experience not going to by that at all.

One I don't play a victim role , don't want hand outs or anything like that. Me calling out racist post or people have nothing to do with a victim

Hamilton Heights and Edison Academy. I'm not sure if these are Ohio schools or not. I'm going to try to find that out now.
HH is Chattanooga and EA Detroit. HH was a road game, haven't found where yet, and EA was a home game. I'm sure all knowing spring can give more details.

Last edited:
I have no clue what could be offensive in my statement. But I can delete it very easily if it offends you.
A Nubian is a Queen. You know that statement was way out of line. But its people like you the reason why BIGOTRY still exist. Keyboard courage. 100 percent CLOWN!

Will has a great program and system in place. Two of the girls who signed has been attending Afrocentric since their elementary days. Evidently, He must be developing girls to. Keep it rolling Nubians!

A Nubian is a Queen. You know that statement was way out of line. But its people like you the reason why BIGOTRY still exist. Keyboard courage. 100 percent CLOWN!
So you dont take a man at his word? And it still completely escapes me what was negative about my statement. Bigotry? If Africentric fans are so sensitive that a question concerning their mascot offends them deeply, who is the one with the real problem?

Definition of bigotry, "intolerance towards those who hold different opinions from ones self". Now I'm not going to claim to be a scholar, but no where in what I said did it come close to disagreeing with an opinion expressed. There was a question, and I tried to answer the question. When did trying to answer a question become bigotry? In my time since this issue came up I have asked about 20 people "what is a Nubian?" Only one person knew it could be someone from Africa and even that person first said it is a goat. If you dont like the fact people are unaware of what your mascot is either accept it, or change the mascot.

Calling people names is not appreciated, especially when no harm was intended to begin with.

Will has a great program and system in place. Two of the girls who signed has been attending Afrocentric since their elementary days. Evidently, He must be developing girls to. Keep it rolling Nubians!
That is a complete lie of the 3 who are 12 graders none went to the school till high school. Were are you getting these so called facts lol. One went to berwick middle , one to Woodward park , the other to aims middle school. So quit with the misinformation

Definition of bigotry, "intolerance towards those who hold different opinions from ones self". Now I'm not going to claim to be a scholar, but no where in what I said did it come close to disagreeing with an opinion expressed. There was a question, and I tried to answer the question. When did trying to answer a question become bigotry? In my time since this issue came up I have asked about 20 people "what is a Nubian?" Only one person knew it could be someone from Africa and even that person first said it is a goat. If you dont like the fact people are unaware of what your mascot is either accept it, or change the mascot.

Calling people names is not appreciated, especially when no harm was intended to begin with.
Quit it ! Quit trying to defend your misguided unintended or intentional racist remarks

Quit it ! Quit trying to defend your misguided unintended or intentional racist remarks
Still no explanation has been given for how my remarks were racist? So I will defend my right to give a serious answer to what I assume was a serious question. Very perplexed how that is offensive or racist in any way.

First, it's you're*, second the thread has broken numerous rules and your fight with these folks is doing nothing constructive.

First, it's you're*, second the thread has broken numerous rules and your fight with these folks is doing nothing constructive.
I am in know fight at all , people speak what they believe and people have the right to agree or disagree .

Just one little fly in the ointment before we crown Africentric state champs again - Hiland has lost one game this year. That was to a top 10 nationally ranked school from NC, which, I have been told, has more talent on it than Africentric. Hiland lost by 3.

Just one little fly in the ointment before we crown Africentric state champs again - Hiland has lost one game this year. That was to a top 10 nationally ranked school from NC, which, I have been told, has more talent on it than Africentric. Hiland lost by 3.
I'll be rooting for Hiland..trust me.

I'll be rooting for Hiland..trust me.
Since my kids are 26 and 30, I don't really root for particular schools - although Hiland and IVC teams are near and dear to my heart. But I find it easier to root for kids - at every school.

Some people resent AC for how they accumulate their talent. I get that, but those kids didn't set up our system. They are just pursuing opportunities they have in front of them. Every time I have seen the Nubians, I have appreciated how talented and hard-working they are. Over the years I have been able to talk with some of them at the Classic in the Country and have been very impressed with them as young women. So, I don't like any negativity directed toward kids - any kids - including those kids.

I have a big problem with AC being put in DIII or, especially, IV. They should compete in the tournament in D1 because that is the talent level they consistently attract. However, their administrators, coaches, and players have nothing to do with that. The OHSAA has had a bunch of chances to get competitive balance right, and they have consistently failed. There are a million things more important than competitive balance but what resentment I do have over it is only directed toward the OHSAA.

Just understand this ( and this isn't directed to you, Tesoro, but to all those out there): when criticism is directed toward Africentric, it is often heard and interpreted by them as rooted in racism. Even if you go out of your way to avoid being misinterpreted in that way, it is still heard and interpreted that way sometimes. But I still think it is worth going out of that way. And if any of it is actually rooted in racism, that's despicable.

Since my kids are 26 and 30, I don't really root for particular schools - although Hiland and IVC teams are near and dear to my heart. But I find it easier to root for kids - at every school.

Some people resent AC for how they accumulate their talent. I get that, but those kids didn't set up our system. They are just pursuing opportunities they have in front of them. Every time I have seen the Nubians, I have appreciated how talented and hard-working they are. Over the years I have been able to talk with some of them at the Classic in the Country and have been very impressed with them as young women. So, I don't like any negativity directed toward kids - any kids - including those kids.

I have a big problem with AC being put in DIII or, especially, IV. They should compete in the tournament in D1 because that is the talent level they consistently attract. However, their administrators, coaches, and players have nothing to do with that. The OHSAA has had a bunch of chances to get competitive balance right, and they have consistently failed. There are a million things more important than competitive balance but what resentment I do have over it is only directed toward the OHSAA.

Just understand this ( and this isn't directed to you, Tesoro, but to all those out there): when criticism is directed toward Africentric, it is often heard and interpreted by them as rooted in racism. Even if you go out of your way to avoid being misinterpreted in that way, it is still heard and interpreted that way sometimes. But I still think it is worth going out of that way. And if any of it is actually rooted in racism, that's despicable.
That's fine..but I'd root against them if they were the Columbus Europeans as well...

Just understand this ( and this isn't directed to you, Tesoro, but to all those out there): when criticism is directed toward Africentric, it is often heard and interpreted by them as rooted in racism.

I would believe that if I heard it directly from them. To take that stance would (I believe) presume they are very weak and themselves racist. I don't buy into that. They like anyone else can take criticism. They can take it from people of any culture. What matters is when delivering and accepting critiques, it be done in good character and honest intent.

A person or organziation that can only accept an opinion as possibly having value because it comes from someone that looks like them, I think has missed a few lessons. You describe your personal experience with the young women from the school. What you described is not someone who has missed those lessons.

Well, there is perception and truth - and the two don't always intersect - although almost every person thinks their perceptions are true.

Every time I have seen the Nubians, I have appreciated how talented and hard-working they are.............. So, I don't like any negativity directed toward kids - any kids - including those kids.

Pretty much agree. Nubians are great kids.

I recall about 7-8 years ago one of the members on the boys team lost a parent right at the start of the season. So , our school program collected bucks to help defray that young man's families stress. That is when I became interested in the program and its reputation for top performance. No matter how they accumulate talent it beats the alternative for what many kids do with their lives in the urban centers.