African American State Champions in Ohio

1$’s 2¢;7253805 said:
jay allison? Didn't know about his football, but he finished second to st. Ed's first state champ that year at aaa hwt. Tall, athletic kid.
....that was ken milkovich,,ferguson hired mike jr...and kenny went along...he lost a lot of weight that year he quit drinking,,and QUIT eatING large pizzas....and put it together.....FABOULOUS WIN I MAY SAY...KENNY LIKE LYNERD SKINNER MUSIC...HE DANCE TO IT AT SOME MEMPHIS ROAD JOINT..AND HE GOT IN SHAPE...HE ALSO LIKED NEIL YOUNG ...be on myside ill be on your side...and his friend used to drink coffee with rd.. from Cleveland.........YEAH! THATS WHO BEAT THAT GUY.....

Last edited:
I love the Black History Month thread. Just recently read about the passing of Frankie Robinson, the first Black manager in MLB history. Very inspiring.

Getting back to CVCA wrestling history with black athletes; Damion Lester, Justin Tripp, Thomas Wndom and Ryan Bennet were all African American multiple state placers for CVCA.

Were any of the guys you listed above State Champions?

James "Jimmy" Brown

James Brown from Akron Ellet was not African American. (If I goofed up the picture link, you can find him on Google Images if you search James Brown Michigan wrestling.) Bob

BL022277

James Brown from Akron Ellet was not African American. (If I goofed up the picture link, you can find him on Google Images if you search James Brown Michigan wrestling.) Bob

BL022277

Jim Brown and Pat Milkovich were the two big recruits in 71 (Don Tomko would have been, but he didn't have the grades). Brown went to Michigan, Pat to Mich. State. Pat won two national titles, Brown didn't win any (lost to Garel in the finals his Sr year). Yes, Brown was white, as was everyone else at Ellet back then.

I updated the list of 2x, 3x, 4x African American State champs to the best of my knowledge based off the updates you posted on this thread along with cross checking on this link from OHSAA's website
https://www.ohsaa.org/Portals/0/Sports/Wrestling/Multiple-Times-State-Champs.pdf

Can anyone confirm if the following individuals are African American or not?
Joe Green (Toledo Scott 65, 66)
James Brown (Akron Ellet 70, 71)
Reggie Johnson (Ashland Crestview 76, 77)
Demar Pentorn (Sandusky Perkins 99, 00)

There are many names on OHSAA's list of 2xers I'm not familiar with so if anyone could help out that would be great

There are also many 1x State Champs and several have been listed here that were exceptional. I haven't began to compile that list yet because I'm sure that's the largest list and not nearly as easy to compile as the other ones

Shawn Garel was a 2X state champ. 72 and 73

I updated the list of 2x, 3x, 4x African American State champs to the best of my knowledge based off the updates you posted on this thread along with cross checking on this link from OHSAA's website
https://www.ohsaa.org/Portals/0/Sports/Wrestling/Multiple-Times-State-Champs.pdf

There are many names on OHSAA's list of 2xers I'm not familiar with so if anyone could help out that would be great

There are also many 1x State Champs and several have been listed here that were exceptional. I haven't began to compile that list yet because I'm sure that's the largest list and not nearly as easy to compile as the other ones

Jermaine Daniels, Huber heights Wayne 90' & 91' division 1 champ( 189 lbs.).

4x State Champions (2)
Harry Lester 98, 99, 00, 01
David Carr 15, 16, 17, 18

3x State Champions (2)
Joe Heskett 95, 96, 97
Kevon Freeman 16, 17, 18

2x State Champions (TBD)
Bobby Douglas 59, 61
Shawn Garel 72, 73
Lee Kemp 73, 74
Reggie Johnson 76, 77
Dunyasha Yetts 88, 89
Jermaine Daniels 90, 91
Markus Mollica 90, 91
Roderick Franklin 92, 93
Anthony Gary 93, 94
Tommy Tye 94, 95
Tomazz Wilson 94, 95
John Weakley 06, 07
Orlando Scales 08, 09
Josh Demas 09, 10
Kory Mines 09, 10
Jerome Robinson 09, 10
Mark Martin 11, 12
Dom Demas 15, 17
Jacob Decatur 17, 18 (Opportunity for 3rd this year)
Jordan Decatur 17, 18 (Opportunity for 3rd this year)

I think we’re getting closer with the 2xers

There are several large gaps that don’t have any African American 2xers. Am I missing anyone during these time frames?

61-72
77-88
95-06

Any Perkins people that can confirm on Demar Pentorn?

Last edited:
4x State Champions (2)
Harry Lester 98, 99, 00, 01
David Carr 15, 16, 17, 18

3x State Champions (2)
Joe Heskett 95, 96, 97
Kevon Freeman 16, 17, 18

2x State Champions (TBD)
Bobby Douglas 59, 61
Joe Green 65, 66
Shawn Garel 72, 73
Lee Kemp 73, 74
Reggie Johnson 76, 77
Dunyasha Yetts 88, 89
Jermaine Daniels 90, 91
Markus Mollica 90, 91
Roderick Franklin 92, 93
Anthony Gary 93, 94
Tommy Tye 94, 95
Tomazz Wilson 94, 95
Demar Pentorn 99, 00
John Weakley 06, 07
Orlando Scales 08, 09
Josh Demas 09, 10
Kory Mines 09, 10
Jerome Robinson 09, 10
Chaz Gresham 11, 12
Mark Martin 11, 12
Dom Demas 15, 17
Jacob Decatur 17, 18 (Opportunity for 3rd this year)
Jordan Decatur 17, 18 (Opportunity for 3rd this year)

Any other 2xers I'm missing?

Another pretty dominant African American state champ (1972) was Stormin Norman Hatchet from Withrow in Cincinnati.

Norman Hatchet – Class of 1972: Norman Hatchet was a three-year varsity wrestler. His junior year, he was Enquirer Honorable Mention All City at 119 lbs. His senior year he was Enquirer First Team and Post All City at 119 lbs., Enquirer Wrestler of the Year, and State Champion Class AAA at 119 lbs. with a 32-0 record and 20 pins. Norman received a wrestling scholarship to the University of Oklahoma and wrestled at both 118 and 126 pounds, while being a member of the Oklahoma 1974 NCAA National Championship Wrestling Team. He transferred and continued wrestling at the University of Arizona.

As I recall, Hatchet spent his junior year (1971) of high school getting beat up by Ken Steger of Norwood and Bob Dalton of St. Xavier (both state placers that year). Both of them graduated in 1971 and Hatchet went on to dominate the field in 1972 at 119.

Last edited:
Lorain Southview’s program was started in 1969 by Dan & Tom Ternes who were coached by Fiore at Elyria.

The Ternes brothers coached many great wrestlers including African American State Champions
GT Taylor
Robert Taylor
Roderick “Juggy” Franklin 2xer

There may have been a couple more African American State Champs for them. I know they had several other finalists such as
The Williams brothers
Jimmy James
Steve Ferguson
Mike Smith

Along with the great African American wrestlers they had they also had quite a few talented Puerto Rican wrestlers that placed very high. Might have been a few champs but I'm pretty sure there were at least some Runnerups

Unfortunately Southview closed it's doors several years back when Lorain consolidated their high schools into 1 now known as the Lorain Titans.
Southview has had some great wrestlers over the years. They have had many state champs and runner-ups that are African American.

State Champs:
David Singletery
Robert Taylor
G.T. Taylor
Juggy Franklin 2x champ

Runner-up:
James Robinson
Robert Taylor
Uland Robinson
Jimmie James 2x runner-up
Ishmel Williams
Steve Ferguson

They have also had some runner-ups that are Hispanic:
Elmer Velez
Edgar Colon
Eric Gonzalez
Jose Deleon
Edgar Rodriguez
Rico Quimbaya

Southview has had some great wrestlers over the years. They have had many state champs and runner-ups that are African American.

State Champs:
David Singletery
Robert Taylor
G.T. Taylor
Juggy Franklin 2x champ

Runner-up:
James Robinson
Robert Taylor
Uland Robinson
Jimmie James 2x runner-up
Ishmel Williams
Steve Ferguson

They have also had some runner-ups that are Hispanic:
Elmer Velez
Edgar Colon
Eric Gonzalez
Jose Deleon
Edgar Rodriguez
Rico Quimbaya

I posted about some of Southviews guys in previous posts but didn’t have all of them. Wasn’t Mike Smith a runnrup too in the late 90’s? What about Alshie (Spelling?), Ishmel brother?

Damar Pentorn is African American.

Yes, Mike Smith was a runner up in the 99-2000 season. I must have missed him. Alshi never placed. Only Ishmel, he placed 4th and 2nd.

4x State Champions (2)
Harry Lester (CVCA) 98, 99, 00, 01
David Carr (Dayton Christian & M. Perry) 15, 16, 17, 18

3x State Champions (2)
Joe Heskett (Walsh Jesuit) 95, 96, 97
Kevon Freeman (Lake Catholic) 16, 17, 18

2x State Champions (24- Close to complete)
Bobby Douglas (Bridgeport) 59, 61
Joe Green (Toledo Scott) 65, 66
Shawn Garel (Cleveland Shaw) 72, 73
Lee Kemp (Chardon) 73, 74
Reggie Johnson (Ashland Crestview) 76, 77
Dunyasha Yetts (Steubenville) 88, 89
Jermaine Daniels (Huber Heights) 90, 91
Markus Mollica (Walsh Jesuit) 90, 91
Roderick Franklin (Lorain Southview) 92, 93
Anthony Gary (Akron Springfield) 93, 94
Tommy Tye (Cin. Country Day & St. Bernard Elmwood) 94, 95
Tomazz Wilson (Toledo Woodward) 94, 95
Demar Pentorn (Sandusky Perkins) 99, 00
Jason Barnett (Col. St. Francis DeSales) 00, 01
John Weakley (CVCA) 06, 07
Orlando Scales (Cin. Elder) 08, 09
Josh Demas (Westerville North) 09, 10
Kory Mines (Maple Hts.) 09, 10
Jerome Robinson (St. Ignatius) 09, 10
Chaz Gresham (Goshen) 11, 12
Mark Martin (St. Eds) 11, 12
Dom Demas (Dublin Coffman) 15, 17
Jacob Decatur (CVCA) 17, 18 (Opportunity for 3rd this year)
Jordan Decatur (CVCA) 17, 18 (Opportunity for 3rd this year)

1x State Champions (Incomplete- In Process of Adding Names)
Ludie Grady (Cleveland John Adams) 58
David Range Jr. (Garfield Hts.) 63
Walter Keith (Elyria) 63
Wilbur Lewis (Elyira) 67
Orlando Bush (Elyria) 67
Charles Gayles (Cin. Princeton) 69
Norman Hatchet (Cin. Withrow) 72
Vaughn Broadnax (Xenia) 80
David Singletery (Lorain Southview) 83
Darren Cannon (Elyria) 83
David Range III (Cleveland Hts.) 86
Laurence Dudgeon (Xenia) 86
Robert Taylor (Lorain Southview) 87
Gerald Taylor (Lorain Southview) 87
Dontae Smith (Akron Kenmore) 88
Kevin Randleman (Sandusky) 89
LeConte Merrell (Mansfield St. Peter) 92
Shantell Sanders (Cin. Academy of Physical Education) 92
Airron Richardson (Toledo Start) 93
Bandele Adeniyi-Bada (Mayfield) 94
Chinedu Achebe (Steubenville Cen. Cath.) 95
Delbert Cowsette (Cle. Cent. Cath.) 95
Robert Sessley (Col. Beechcroft) 96
Kore Sharpley (Shaker Hts.) 96
Roger Merrell (Mansfield) 97
Omar Scruggs (Cin. Sycamore) 99
Troy Bowers (Westerville South) 99
Jermain Thompson (Akron Kenmore) 02
Hassan Adebesin (Shaker Hts.) 02
Tony Johnson (Lakota East) 04
Enrique Robertson (Maple Hts.) 06
Cordell Lonstreath (Graham) 07
Jermane Lindsey (Cin. Arch. Moeller) 07
Waquiem Comar (Twinsburg) 10
Michael Baker (Twinsburg) 11
Sam Wheeler (Copley) 11
Ivan McClay (Massillon Washington) 13
Casey Sparkman (Massillon Perry) 14
Kyle Conel (Ashtabula Lakeside) 14
Taleb Rahmani (Marysville) 15
Ana Abdujelil (Whitehall Yearling) 16
Kaden Russell (St. Ignatius) 16
Kameron Teacher (Central Crossing) 16
Antonio McCloud (Cin. Elder) 18

Okay Yappi community. I wanted to get this as close as done as possible in honor of Black History Month but I know I’m still missing quite a few 1x champs.

Results from every OHSAA state tournament dating back to 1938 can be found at the link below.

Please give me the Name, school, & year they won the title. Any personal anecdotes or stories are always greatly appreciated!

https://ohsaa.org/Sports-Tournaments/Wrestling/Wrestling-History/Past-Tournament-Results-Wrestling

Adeniyi-Bada graduated from Field High School (not Mayfield). The official OHSAA name is Mogadore Field.

Adeniyi-Bada graduated from Field High School (not Mayfield). The official OHSAA name is Mogadore Field.

I thought I read it correctly. The official OHSAA records have him listed as winning his title at Mayfield. I'm not saying your're wrong I just used what I had based on the results that are given. I just googled him and saw on his Linkedin page that he in fact did go to Field high school.

https://ohsaa.org/sports/wr/boys/PastResults/1994.pdf

It's all good, chidy. I am a Field alumnus and followed Adeniyi-Bada in high school and college. He had a great rivalry with Akron Springfield's Anthony Gary (beat him once in a dual I believe) and had a distinguished college career at Penn.