AFC Divisional: Bills at Chiefs (1/23) 6:30PM

Who wins?

• Bills

Votes: 8 61.5%
  • Chiefs

Votes: 5 38.5%

• Total voters
LOL last year KC had both starting tackles out in the SB, that is why Mahomes struggled. If it is such a good recipe for success (blitzing Mahomes), why don't all teams do it. Easy to be a coach sitting on the couch.
Also remember Mahomes had that bad foot, and he could not run to get away from the pressure

Why the ending of K.C.-Buffalo ought to change NFL's overtime

But this is indisputable: the NFL’s overtime gives an enormous advantage to whichever team wins the coin flip. Three years ago, Chiefs fans watched in horror as Tom Brady marched the Patriots down the field to an overtime victory in the AFC championship without giving Patrick Mahomes a chance to touch the ball. Sunday night, the coin came up Kansas City’s way, and this time it was the Chiefs who snuffed out the opposition.

The overtime rule made more sense when the defenses had the advantage. Now that the offenses are given so many advantages, it sometimes makes the overtime come down to the flip of a coin. If Vegas was taking bets on the overtime, it probably was 50/50 just before the coin flip. After the coin flip, 90% of the bets would have been on Kansas City. That is the definition of a flawed system.

Simply go to the old college system by starting from the 25 and each team gets a possession until one teams leads at the conclusion of an overtime. But don't adopt the stupid new college rule of only two point conversions starting in the 3rd overtime.

The overtime rule made more sense when the defenses had the advantage. Now that the offenses are given so many advantages, it sometimes makes the overtime come down to the flip of a coin. If Vegas was taking bets on the overtime, it probably was 50/50 just before the coin flip. After the coin flip, 90% of the bets would have been on Kansas City. That is the definition of a flawed system.

Simply go to the old college system by starting from the 25 and each team gets a possession until one teams leads at the conclusion of an overtime. But don't adopt the stupid new college rule of only two point conversions starting in the 3rd overtime.
I would simply guarantee each team one possession. Anything more is not necessary.

i'm not sure why the league is so "against" both teams possessing the ball in OT. they allow it for ANY OTHER SCENARIO except for a TD. why? what's the logic/reasoning? i don't see it.

each team gets a possession and if it's still tied then go to sudden death. that's not that hard to comprehend or do.

most people against this will either say "your defense needs to get a stop". well, because of a coin flip the OTHER defense didn't have to so that's a bogus argument.

the other argument i've seen is that it gives an advantage to the team who possesses the ball 2nd because then they KNOW they have to go for it on 4th down every time (assuming the other team scored on their first possession of OT). i don't get this argument. and if coaches think that's an advantage then guess what? KICKOFF in OT if you want the ball 2nd. that scenario is still no different than a defense, at the end of regulation, up 4-8 points with under 2 minutes, KNOWING they have to stop the other team from a TD to win/tie the game. i don't see why that's such an advantage in OT. if you know you're in that scenario at the end of regulation (and it happens ALL THE TIME), then what's the big deal when it's OT.

it's not that hard to change the rule.

get it done, NFL. it's simple.

Worst coaching and defensive performance of 13 seconds of football in the history of the sport!
1) Not Going for 2 after the Josh Allen miracle performance final touchdown.
- You make it, you're up 4 and KC Must score a touchdown with 13 seconds left. Miss and you lose in regulation with 13 secs and deserve it.
2) Not Pooch kicking the kickoff and waste SOME time, however little. The clock is the only thing that matters with 13 seconds left! The ONLY thing!
3) You play the Prevent defense which Everyone knows Only ever PREVENTS YOU FROM WINNING!!!
4) Even though the Prevent was employed your defense STILL Stinks it up by 1) generating "ZERO" pressure on the QB and 2) not taking away the only pass plays that can defeat you...The 15-30 yarders.
I say this alot, but here goes again... The losing team here ABSOLUTELY DESERVED TO LOSE!

Had the Bills not kicked it in the endzone, they would have won IMHO.
I can’t blame them for that. You really want Mahomes to start at the 35/40 yard line? You should have enough confidence your D can keep them from going 50 yards in 13 secs.

Worst coaching and defensive performance of 13 seconds of football in the history of the sport!
1) Not Going for 2 after the Josh Allen miracle performance final touchdown.
- You make it, you're up 4 and KC Must score a touchdown with 13 seconds left. Miss and you lose in regulation with 13 secs and deserve it.
2) Not Pooch kicking the kickoff and waste SOME time, however little. The clock is the only thing that matters with 13 seconds left! The ONLY thing!
3) You play the Prevent defense which Everyone knows Only ever PREVENTS YOU FROM WINNING!!!
4) Even though the Prevent was employed your defense STILL Stinks it up by 1) generating "ZERO" pressure on the QB and 2) not taking away the only pass plays that can defeat you...The 15-30 yarders.
I say this alot, but here goes again... The losing team here ABSOLUTELY DESERVED TO LOSE!
That’s incredibly stupid.

I can’t blame them for that. You really want Mahomes to start at the 35/40 yard line? You should have enough confidence your D can keep them from going 50 yards in 13 secs.
Yup with some ticks off the clock. And Nooks is spot in. Omar, you lost some credibility.

i'm not sure why the league is so "against" both teams possessing the ball in OT. they allow it for ANY OTHER SCENARIO except for a TD. why? what's the logic/reasoning? i don't see it.
The only reason I can think of is TV, especially in the regular season. TV networks don't want 1pm games bleeding into the 4:15 games and lengthening OT ensures that.

Playoffs should be different, though - there's plenty of time in between games during the playoff rounds.

The only reason I can think of is TV, especially in the regular season. TV networks don't want 1pm games bleeding into the 4:15 games and lengthening OT ensures that.

Playoffs should be different, though - there's plenty of time in between games during the playoff rounds.
BINGO!!!

companies don't pay the NFL for commercial time past the 4th quarter. that's the main reason why OT rules are what they are.

If Mahomes is starting at the 35/40 with 8 sec. left, I'll gladly let the Chiefs have those 10-15 yards in exchange for 5 seconds coming off the clock. IIRC, the Chiefs got 5-10 yards farther up the field in that same amount of time on their 1st play of that possession. Additionally, after watching Tyreek Hill blaze right past my "D" on the previous series, I'd have been looking for any possible way to get more time off that clock and reduce the number of plays the Chiefs' offense would get on their final possession of regulation.

There have been some great offenses in NFL history that have put up some remarkable numbers, but I don't know that any of them has ever put such constant pressure on opposing defenses with their overall speed the way the Chiefs' offense of the past few years has done. Having a coach like Reid who knows how to play to the strength of his personnel doesn't hurt.

I heard the solution on the radio yesterday - credit to Anthony Rothman on 97.1 The Fan (Columbus).

Each team gets 1 possession, with a kickoff starting the OT. Coin Toss - winner can choose to defer (which they probably would, so they know how many points they need). Lets say Team B wins the toss and defers:

- If Team A possession ends in points, they kickoff. If it ends in a punt or turnover, football as usual.
- Team B possession results in more or fewer points than Team A, we have a winner.
- Still tied? We play sudden death. If Team B scored to tie the game, they kickoff.

Each team gets the ball at the two yard line with one play to score. If still tied reduce to ten players and so on down to one on one if still tied. If one on one ends in a tie they each get a sword ??

Ah yes...There is justice afterall. KC losing to the Bengals after the "gift" given them by Buffalo. Congrats Bengals!