Ads Blocking Posts

Mine looks just like yours Pitt. Could not tell you what browser I'm using. Samsung tablet with Android guts.

Galaxy tab A. Two built in browsers Google Chrome and Samsung Internet.

Try installing Adblock Fast for Google Chrome and Crystal Adblock for Samsung Internet:

I think the larger issue here is Yappi putting in these really annoying ads. :)
Kind of. Unfortunately, Adsense is the best of all the advertising platforms but hasn't been performing well at all for the past three years. I let it run experiments to find the best combination of ads. It apparently went overboard with the ads lately (with very little change in revenue).

Of course, adblockers are part of the problem. Trying to squeeze advertisements into fewer and fewer users means those users are burdened with keeping the site above water. Sadly, it is getting to the point that keeping this site running is becoming more difficult.

Switching over to this new software did help tremendously but it is becoming a losing battle. Payouts are the lowest they have been in the 19 years of running the site and not sure there is any alternative.

Someone needs to start a GoFundMe page so Yappi wouldn't have to rely on ad revenue, lol.
GoFundMe would be great but it is short term and it would be the same small group of people that always help.

I've been thinking of a way to get sponsorships from across the state but I would need help from a large number of people on the board. If it worked, I would just get rid of all ads in the forums (except for one rotating sponsorship banner).

Man's gotta make a living or at least break even on operating the site. :cool:
Some people might be surprised but this is a full time job. More than 40 hours a week working on the site and haven't had a day off in years (outside of being sick in bed).

Oh believe me... I know you needed to do this. And I hope it keeps you afloat. But still doesn't change the fact that it stinks from a user's perspective. The website still works (for the most part), so I am not going anywhere.

But still doesn't change the fact that it stinks from a user's perspective.
I agree. It happened to me for the first time yesterday. It seems to have gone away for me today but I know that it is still showing for some people.

That is why I've been trying to come up with a solution to go independent of advertising agencies. I'm hoping to release this idea in the next week...

I moved my browser over to my vertically-oriented monitor and could still only see 4 thread titles because the 4 advertisements took up so much space. Again, I know the necessity of them, but wow! I guess having been someone who has built websites since I was in 3rd grade, the usability and unnecessary scrolling bothers me more than it does most people. :( I am sorry for being overly critical.

Last edited:
You shouldn't apologize for pointing out inefficiency and nuisance of what's going on. It's been pretty bad today. I find it happens most when you click on the Alerts button.

I moved my browser over to my vertically-oriented monitor and could still only see 4 thread titles because the 4 advertisements took up so much space. Again, I know the necessity of them, but wow! I guess having been someone who has built websites since I was in 3rd grade, the usability and unnecessary scrolling bothers me more than it does most people. :( I am sorry for being overly critical.

View attachment 5860
I'm sorry your screen looks like that. That is by far the worst I have seen. I'm on a desktop 80% of the time and have yet to see 4 advertisements. I've had the top banner (which is almost always there) and then occasionally the second slot. But I've not seen three or four slots like that.

As I mentioned earlier, things are getting dicey with the ad networks. Revenue is way down starting a trend in 2016 and it's only getting worse. It is extremely frustrating because even with the proliferation of adblockers, the page views that show an ad are up by about 10% year over year. The revenue just compared to last year dropped another 20%. It is extremely frustrating working hard to bring in more people and content and then rely on a third party that is not working out. Unfortunately, there is not alternative that comes even close.

I love having this site and coming here everyday but without ad revenue, it's not going to be possible to keep it running.

Also, I did make a change to the ad network. Let me know if this continues. Might take up to 24 hours to notice a change.