Added tournament regulation - 2023

soccerboy08

15) GOAL DIFFERENTIAL AND LENGTH OF MATCHES

a) During any tournament contest, any time the score differential reaches 6 goals or more after the first half of the contest, a running clock shall be used. After the 6-goal differential has been met but the score drops below 6 goals, the clock reverts to regular timing. The clock shall be stopped only for an injured player on the field or when there is any unusual delay deemed necessary by the officials.

b) Should the goal differential reach eight (8) at the end of the first half or during the second half of the postseason tournament, the match is terminated. At this time, the score stands and is counted as a complete.

Thoughts?

If they refuse to limit who makes the playoffs this is a decent idea, except I can see the first 2 to perhaps 3 games with teams spending 40 minutes playing keep away and there is nothing I personally hate more than that.

I think all schools should be in the tourney, but there should be an earlier round or a “play-in” round to limit these types of games. Also, top teams should receive a bye or auto placement into 2nd/more appropriate round.
I don’t think this will completely eliminate these games, but dramatically reduce the number of times they occur.

If they refuse to limit who makes the playoffs this is a decent idea, except I can see the first 2 to perhaps 3 games with teams spending 40 minutes playing keep away and there is nothing I personally hate more than that.
Why play keep away and risk someone getting injured? Just score your 8 goals and go home early.

Why play keep away and risk someone getting injured? Just score your 8 goals and go home early.
Our players were told by the coach and AD the school gets fined if they score more than 8. I’d love to hear from someone “in the know” if that is true or something just pushed to players in order to keep it close.

There is no fine, and while a letter might be a nice gesture, it's not required.

Play 10v11, 9v11, 8v11, heck even 7v11 if you need to, but don't stop playing the game.

There is no fine, and while a letter might be a nice gesture, it's not required.

Play 10v11, 9v11, 8v11, heck even 7v11 if you need to, but don't stop playing the game.
Agreed, Play the game, play the whole game and play like you play. BUT I do like the idea of at least 1 if not 2 play in games between the bottom seeds. That eliminates one or two obnoxious score and stat line.

Agreed, Play the game, play the whole game and play like you play. BUT I do like the idea of at least 1 if not 2 play in games between the bottom seeds. That eliminates one or two obnoxious score and stat line.
For at least a handful of years now, the Districts have seeded the top 4 teams into a 2nd Round Sectional. Thus many of those 1st Round Sectionals are much more competitive, and many of those lower seeds actually have a chance to win a Playoff game for once. Playoff gams frequently have a special atmosphere & excitement with them......ALL players should have the chance to experience that.

There is also a time restraint involving the 'calendar'......Sectionals the first week, then Districts, etc. Having teams play multiple "play=in games" is simply not feasible.........unless you really want the State Finals played the weekend before Thanksgiving.