Actually, price gouging is good and should be legal

You decide

• Good

• Bad

Results are only viewable after voting.
People buying more than they otherwise would is the problem. Raising prices stops that and makes sure more people have access to the goods they need. Keeping prices artificially low is immoral

Most guys who do what he did do not collect and turn in sales taxes or other taxes making them have an unfair advantage over those who do retail through the proper channels.
I get mad when I have competition from other businesses that enter my market without proper license, insurance or inspections. I have to abide by FDA and USDA regulations as well as other state and local over site, while many simply skip these steps and never get caught or if they do, fine very little.
Kids who set up a lemonade stand should never see the light of day for many years for the harm they bring upon society. Same with Mr. Generator guy.
Good point, people should not be allowed to buy black market lemonade or electric generators, even if they have no electric power or are very thirsty.

Price Gauging is wrong regardless of how you look at it.
Quit making moral judgements and pretend you understand how economics work. If prices rise as they should, the real piece of crap, the person buying eight mega-packs of TP may only buy a couple, leaving some on the shelf for others.

Quit making moral judgements and pretend you understand how economics work. If prices rise as they should, the real piece of crap, the person buying eight mega-packs of TP may only buy a couple, leaving some on the shelf for others.

Not making a moral judgement just answering the question.
Why should I pretend to understand how economics work.... or did you mean quit pretending???

Simply put and see if you can follow this..... do not take advantage of people during a crises. That is true for both the buyer and the seller. Keep TP the same price and those who buy it buy what they need and don't hoard it.

When you price gauge not everyone can afford it. I am not paying $50.00 for a roll of TP. I'll just squat on your front door and release. Corporate greed is wrong and needs to be dealt with in this situations. Those who hoard and also take advantage of this is also in the wrong.

While I dont disagree with the premise of the OP, you cannot separate when it is, and should not be, allowable by law.

Remember after 9/11 when gas prices at some places went so high?

Our local grocer has been smart. They had a limit very early on, and also put out new stock over night and some time late afternoon (if need be) so people cannot snatch up everything they have.

Not making a moral judgement just answering the question.
Why should I pretend to understand how economics work.... or did you mean quit pretending???

Simply put and see if you can follow this..... do not take advantage of people during a crises. That is true for both the buyer and the seller. Keep TP the same price and those who buy it buy what they need and don't hoard it.

When you price gauge not everyone can afford it. I am not paying $50.00 for a roll of TP. I'll just squat on your front door and release. Corporate greed is wrong and needs to be dealt with in this situations. Those who hoard and also take advantage of this is also in the wrong.
Here's a graph

So, disregard everything we know about human nature and things will turn out all right.

So, disregard everything we know about human nature and things will turn out all right.

A market based purely on supply and demand would also be disregarding human nature. Our system of government is not design to support human nature. It's not based upon either darwinism nor good hearts. It's meant to modulate and mitigate that human nature.

Here's a graph

Sig: When is comes to inelastic commodities, structural and life needs, we are NOT a free market. Never have been. Your graph does not apply. Well ok, maybe it SHOULD apply to toilet paper, lol.

We have given government the power to determine commodities not subject and in MY opinion, it works. You can't have a completely free market and not invite extreme social unrest. We would have no market. No capital investment. Only government controlled and black market.

So when the TP shortage started I went to Kroger to buy a few extra packs. I bought four, and I got a good deal because it was on sale. Most of the shelving was empty in the TP aisle and it was still on sale.

I wouldn't have a problem if Kroger doubled the cost? That will slow down the hoarding, and for people that really need it today it's not obscenely expensive If they can't afford it they can use pages from their People magazine because that is all that is good for anyway. Kroger's not going to charge anyone $50 a roll because their customers will remember and take their business elsewhere when this is over.

No it's not, it costs the retailer money, and creates confrontational situations that nobody likes and hurts business.

But it's fair.
It certainly is easily detected and prevented. I doubt it would cause any serious confrontation or it would hurt the business in anyway.

That’s different. That guy took unneeded supply from one market and brought supply to an area with needed demand. Would have been better to donate or take small margin though.

The situation with sanitizers is the guy bought up the entire supply that already had demand. I think that guy should get prison time.
Pretty much, except this^

He rented a truck, paid someone to mind the retail outlet in his absence, laid out his capital to jump his supply process. That is worthy of quite a premium if it's my time and money.

Want to be sure to pay a typical market price on a generator when you live in a hurricane zone ? Plan ahead. Price tag too high ? Don't buy.

Where do all the rolls of toilet paper end up?
Other than the obvious answer, these typically are not hoarded in a closet in the purchasers home for any real length of time.

My sister is personally responsible for her share of panic buying this week. She bought 144 rolls of TP. She then asked around the neighborhood if anyone needed any TP and if they did, she gave them a pack for free.

This makes her feel good about helping others in a time of crisis. Keeping prices at current levels prior to a crisis is the moral thing to do for many obvious reasons.

I HAD A FRIEND ( notice the tense) who thought it was a great business move to buy up all the salt supply at our local stores right before a snow storm moved in, then would sit in the parking lot of a shoe store and sell the salt he bought for $4 a bag for $10 a bag.
I needed a few bags for my business and I pulled up and asked him for five bags. When he told me the price I told him to keep his salt.

Not buying the concept that excessive profit is beneficial for public safety.

Your sister is the Toilet Paper Fairy of Maple St. How cute.

I couldn't find a damned bag of potatoes in three different stores, and my kids are booted out of school early. In a perfect world, sausage gravy in my house goes over cubed, fried gold potatoes with diced peppers and onions.

I hope those jerks that bought them all out forget where they put half of the bags, and their basements end up stinking like rotten potatoes.

Pretty much, except this^

He rented a truck, paid someone to mind the retail outlet in his absence, laid out his capital to jump his supply process. That is worthy of quite a premium if it's my time and money.

Want to be sure to pay a typical market price on a generator when you live in a hurricane zone ? Plan ahead. Price tag too high ? Don't buy.
Guess I’m just not a d!ck like you. ??‍♂️

Your sister is the Toilet Paper Fairy of Maple St. How cute.

I couldn't find a damned bag of potatoes in three different stores, and my kids are booted out of school early. In a perfect world, sausage gravy in my house goes over cubed, fried gold potatoes with diced peppers and onions.

I hope those jerks that bought them all out forget where they put half of the bags, and their basements end up stinking like rotten potatoes.
Throw some eggs in there an invite me over.

Do you prefer brandy with your coffee or Tito's with your OJ?

It'sreally pathetic when people are hoarding things like ketchup. It's quite sad to see that doomsday movies that depict how horrile the human race would be in times of tragedy hit it dead on. The human race with all of it's technology advances really has not develped much from it's cave man days.

I saw this on Twitter so you know it has to be true but...

supposedly in one of the Scandinavian countries a grocery chain is charging an extremely high price for the 2nd item. So it’s like buy one for $4.99 or buy two for $54.99.

Last edited:
There is enough toilet paper to go around..... people are hoarding. To stop that you limit how much they can buy... problem solved. Do not jack up the price to increase your profit during a National Disaster.

So I guess I am suppose to believe every tweet?

No but smart people believe on-subject tweets from highly distinguished professors in the subject area.

Do you expect the stores to police such limits? All kinds of ways to work around them.

03e9da3f9615b44e1f34dc13323f5cc3.jpg

It's sad that I think about this quote and realize it's very real. Yes there's good people in the world. But some horrible people lying in wait, too.

No but smart people believe on-subject tweets from highly distinguished professors in the subject area.

Do you expect the stores to police such limits? All kinds of ways to work around them.

well, there is your problem I am not a smart person.... but, I am always right!!!!

Yes....
Sure.... if you want to bring 6 people in with you to buy TP go for it. If you want to go to different stores or return back to the store every hour so be it....