$900 to install a hot water heater? (hot water heater cost extra)

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
Does that sound right?

I've gotten two estimates. Both only had a final price with no breakdown of costs. I was able to find the cost of the model of the water heater they were going to install and it was $900 less than the total cost. After doing a little reading, it seemed like $400 was a reasonable rate for the cost of installation. I'm wanting to buy and deliver the water heater to my house as it's not a big deal.

I'm really disappointed in both companies because it sure feels like they are pulling a fast one. I'm not big into haggling but I'm not a fan of getting ripped off either.

Am I really this far off and the labor really should cost $900?

I can't remember how much I was charged about ten years ago to have a water heater installed, including the cost of the heater.

However, I think I would remember if it were much more than $1000. That said, your estimates sound like they are on the high end for installation alone.

BTW Agree 100% with your last statement. Sad. You would think two or three estimates would be enough but, sometimes not. Good luck.

$900 seems very pricey just to install a tank heater. Bought a new one three years ago at a nearby smalltown Ace Hardware, and they hooked me up with a local guy to do the install. Think he charged $200 or so.

It is way too much, the problem is finding a plumber to show up. We have a guy that was always a little higher but not rip off, he did great work and showed up so we stayed loyal and he returned the favor. They kind of have you by the balls as living without hot water is not possible especially with a lady in the house. Good luck.

Isn’t this how markets work?

Generally, service people who are competent and reasonable to a little high priced do best. At the moment, the market is in flux and we don’t have enough labor. Charging more…pigs get fat; hogs get slaughtered. If you’re in that industry, don’t you charge more? Not to the point that you burn a bridge…right?

Just a theoretical question for us. We’ve got an HVAC/plumber close relative…we jump to the front of the line; he’s very good and he’s a little on the high end…but well worth it.

At least we‘re not talking about oil…the only industry where the public seems to take an interest in how prices are determined, etc.

I've stuck with the same plumber for the last five years. He started out as an apprentice when he was 16. He then became a full-fledged licensed plumber. Now he doesn't even charge for small tasks. Last time I talked with him he was complaining about all the taxes he had to pay. He told me he made $184,000 last year and he is only 21. The heck with college, become a plumber.

I've stuck with the same plumber for the last five years. He started out as an apprentice when he was 16. He then became a full-fledged licensed plumber. Now he doesn't even charge for small tasks. Last time I talked with him he was complaining about all the taxes he had to pay. He told me he made $184,000 last year and he is only 21. The heck with college, become a plumber.
This. My plumber’s wife drives a G Wagon.

Also electricians are in the same category and have better hours as they usually don’t get the emergency calls a plumber does.

We just replaced the electric hot water heater at our family farm in Southwestern Pennsylvania this summer. The farm is about a 25 minute drive from town. Total price including installation was $1,308.

Electric water heater install should be significantly lower than gas. Is the heater in a basement? If so, is getting the old heater up and out part of the install?

I can easily do 2 swap outs a day, so ten heaters / week @ $900 each equals $9,000 in labor. That does seem high, as in 3-4 times what I typically see. But don't know how short tradesmen are in your area? In our area, HVAC guys are charging $200-$300/hr . A typical whole house new installation that used around $4,000 in materials cost $26,000 on a new home build I worked on this year. The plumber a d electrician were much more in line with historical norms.

New water heater was installed and they did it for less than $350 for labor. Took less than 2 hours.

After the first two estimates, I figured they were both trying to pay people at multiple levels to make a good amount of money. Hiring an independent person with one truck and no extra overhead saved alot of money. I would rather help out the little guy who is reasonable rather than paying for the worker, the accountant, the answering service, the manager, and the owner. It was a real eye-opener.

I know this is an old message, but I wanted ask if you asked them WHY it was so high? Was their extenuating circumstances such as replacing lines/fittings to/from the heater, any special/weird location where the heater was located, etc? Was it some type of 'emergency repair' rate rather than scheduled work?

It definitely seems high. Mine hasn't needed replaced yet since I bought my house, but it will be one of the easiest replacements. Undo lines, pull across basement, go up stairs and out the side door. Hell, if they even wanted to get me for disposal/removal I'd simply leave it in that room of the basement next to the new one.

Though, my next one is going to be tankless. Far more efficiency for an electric heater. Just have to accept a bit more of a delay getting hot water.

Nothing special. The first two companies were large companies. The third was a friend of the family that is branching off into home improvement and had installed numerous water heaters for his prior employer.

Nothing special. The first two companies were large companies. The third was a friend of the family that is branching off into home improvement and had installed numerous water heaters for his prior employer.

what did you end up paying?

A co-worker had a basement flood and replaced their gas hot water heater. Within a month it stopped working and a new one installed. Within a month that one stopped working. (They have home warranty insurance.)

What is happening?

A co-worker had a basement flood and replaced their gas hot water heater. Within a month it stopped working and a new one installed. Within a month that one stopped working. (They have home warranty insurance.)

What is happening?

do they have a water softener? Is it working?

That was/is my worry. Our water softener isn't working and I worried it had impacted the water heater. I remember at our old house we didn't have a water softener and when the water heater finally went (due to age), when they removed it, the hard water deposits had eaten through the bottom of the water heater (aided by rust I'm sure), but the floor had prevented any water leaking out. Dodged a bullet there.

Isn’t this how markets work?

Generally, service people who are competent and reasonable to a little high priced do best. At the moment, the market is in flux and we don’t have enough labor. Charging more…pigs get fat; hogs get slaughtered. If you’re in that industry, don’t you charge more? Not to the point that you burn a bridge…right?

Just a theoretical question for us. We’ve got an HVAC/plumber close relative…we jump to the front of the line; he’s very good and he’s a little on the high end…but well worth it.

At least we‘re not talking about oil…the only industry where the public seems to take an interest in how prices are determined, etc.
so how much can you expect to pay a lawyer now a days?

If you go to a dentist, there's a different price for teeth cleaning or a crown or a root canal or an implant.
Lawyers are interesting people. When I have a contract that I need reviewed i typically call my lawyer, he requests i forward him the contract so he can read it prior to our meeting. I tell him, i will just bring it with me to the meeting. So at $300/hr consult fee i generally keep my mouth absolutely quiet and wait until he gives me all his take on the contract before responding. Most 2-3 page contracts can be reviewed for $150-$225 using this method. Recently, I had a six page contract and was really busy, so I did drop it off prior to our meeting. Well, it took him several hours to review that contract. I paid it, but told him, it's fine if you want me to go to another attorney, but I can not spend $1,200 for the reading and interpretation of a contract.

Really like my new lawyer so far .

I have lived in the same house for 51 years and have replaced the water heater 6 times and never paid a penny for labor. They really are not that hard to put in. Just a few months ago I put the last one in. Went to Lowes bought it use my trailer to bring it home. Took the 40 gal heater down the basement by myself and installed by myself and I was 77 years old. The old one is still in the basement waiting on my son to come over and help take it out. Much easier to take down than bring up and out.