8-man state championship coming to Ohio

It's sad that the coaches association had to be the ones to make this move. Props to them. The only thing holding back 8-man in OH is OHSAA sponorship. We will see what this does.

Now who makes the move to 8-man?

Vanlue, Arcadia, Bradford, Millersport, Fremont St. Joseph are obvious choices that come to mind.

It's sad that the coaches association had to be the ones to make this move. Props to them. The only thing holding back 8-man in OH is OHSAA sponorship. We will see what this does.

Vanlue, Arcadia, Bradford, Millersport, Fremont St. Joseph are obvious choices that come to mind.
Fairport Harding and Ashtabula St. John could make the switch.

I'm assuming there's OHSFCA rules against teams that have 11 man football competing? It will be interesting to see how many Ohio teams there are and how much travel time will be involved to have a full schedule.

Is there time for schools to start up 8 man teams for this fall? I don't really know how long this stuff takes to develop.

It may not be a bad idea for a team who has only seven games scheduled at the end of June.

1687890688121.png

Anything that helps advance this game we love can only be a good thing

I look at a school like Russia who doesn't have a football team or soccer team as one that I think could give this a try
Shelby County schools, Putnam County schools, Lincolnview, & New Knoxville come to mind.

I’m sure OHSAA will jump in if there is money to be made that’s there bottom line definitely don’t look out for the student athletes.

Shelby County schools, Putnam County schools, Lincolnview, & New Knoxville come to mind.
I highly doubt any of these schools will be adding football of any kind. 8 man to this point hasn't helped grow any new programs, just help out the ones on life support.

If people would watch highlights from Colorado and other western states where 8-man is common, I think it'd gain popularity. It's fun to watch.
I've been to a lot of 8-man games over the years. People greatly disparage it for no reason.

Center eligible? lol

Maybe, schools from other states can help fill out schedules. Michigan has 64 teams, for example. Like Ohio, Indiana has only five yet - sparked by Ohio's decision - may be compelled to add more. And, Kentucky (1), Pennslyvania (21) and West Virginia (0) could do the same. Just a thought.

Of course, travel expense would be a big consideration.

Center eligible? lol

Maybe, schools from other states can help fill out schedules. Michigan has 64 teams, for example. Like Ohio, Indiana has only five yet - sparked by Ohio's decision - may be compelled to add more. And, Kentucky (1), Pennslyvania (21) and West Virginia (0) could do the same. Just a thought.

Of course, travel expense would be a big consideration.

Center eligible is only in six man. Six man rules are much different than the rest due to the small number of players on the field.

I highly doubt any of these schools will be adding football of any kind. 8 man to this point hasn't helped grow any new programs, just help out the ones on life support.
We can always hope for a Blackhawk Christian scenario for the local Ohio programs.

I believe it was two years ago when I covered Vanlue and had a talk with a coach there and was told that the talks had begun, so the move does not shock me, though I am shocked it took this long.

There's a group of southern OH schools like Manchester, Beaver Eastern, Federal Hocking, North Adams Club), Beallsville and Rosecrans that would be candidates.
I could see Fed Hock, Rosecrans, and North Adams going this route, to my knowledge Beaver Eastern, and Manchester haven’t had too big of an issue fielding teams, I could see other Adams county schools like North Adams such as Peebles, and Fairfield possibly going to 8 man