#4 New Philadelphia Quakers @ #1 Chardon Hilltoppers

Sean Wilson

Can the #4 New Philadelphia Quakers upset the #1 Chardon Hilltoppers or will Chardon run away from New Philadelphia

Prediction: Chardon 28 New Philadelphia 14
Hmm, that was the score last year of Chardon VS Dover @ Dover and though this is a new year, NP and Dover are similar in strength so I could see that outcome. But this one may be closer than most think.

Looking at the two teams schedules leading up to the playoffs, I noticed that the teams NP played have fared better in the tourney. Not that it means their schedule was harder.

NP opponent's wins in playoffs: 9, & 11 if you count Canfield, but NP lost to them.
Chardon opponent's wins in playoffs: 3 ?

Hmm, that was the score last year of Chardon VS Dover @ Dover and though this is a new year, NP and Dover are similar in strength so I could see that outcome. But this one may be closer than most think.

Looking at the two teams schedules leading up to the playoffs, I noticed that the teams NP played have fared better in the tourney. Not that it means their schedule was harder.

NP opponent's wins in playoffs: 9, & 11 if you count Canfield, but NP lost to them.
Chardon opponent's wins in playoffs: 3 ?
Comparing Div 2 playoff teams to div 3 playoff teams. Mayfield and Riverside are better than anyone NP beat.

Comparing Div 2 playoff teams to div 3 playoff teams. Mayfield and Riverside are better than anyone NP beat.

Can't argue with that considering NP played zero D2 teams.
I did state that " Not that it means their (NP's) schedule was harder."

And I believe that it is commonly accepted that the top teams in D2 are a level above the top teams in D3 (Hoban is crazy good)
But put Chardon and NP in their region and both their seeds only drop to #2 and #5, ahead of both of them.

I saw Riverside against Boardman and Boardman was the better team, they just had especially bad coaching and play calls that night.
Canfield beat Boardman 35-7, so they likely beat Riverside as well by a similar score since the teams are pretty closely matched in my opinion. New Philadelphia is almost as good as Canfield so, my thought is that NP would be able to beat Riverside, not sure about Mayfield though, that might be too close to call. But I am confident NP would beat Riverside.

maybe by half.....most likely running clock, look at Chardon scores against better competition. Only 2 games not running clock.

chardon scores against better competition? What better competition? I’m sure they’re a Good team but they haven’t played a tough schedule....they never do

Chardon schedule compared to Phila is much harder. Look at the computer points. Played predominantly D2 schedule. Running clocks on the three D3 teams they have played. 42-7
Chardon

Chardon schedule compared to Phila is much harder. Look at the computer points. Played predominantly D2 schedule. Running clocks on the three D3 teams they have played. 42-7
Chardon
Every year they say the teams from that conference don’t play anyone. It’s ignored that the conference consistently produces a team or 2 that do well in the playoffs. A few years back Chardon beat Kenston, Kenston proceeded to steamroll Div3. They played a weak schedule that year too.

Impressed with Chardon's schedule but even more impressed with the scores in those games. It looks like Chardon hasn't been tested and has rolled over everyone they played. If New Philly can keep it close into the 4th maybe Chardon will get tight and the Quakers could pull off the massive upset. If NP plays like they did in first half against Canfield than it will be a running clock.

Chardon will win and the clock will be running in the second half. Chardon's defense is really good.

Chardon 42
NP 7

I don't think NP has faced a Wing-T in a while, could be wrong?
At least back when they played Coshocton it gave them a look at and of course preparation for in case they encountered it again in the playoffs.
I know some successful programs besides Chardon and Coshocton along with Mass. Perry run it.
Will be interesting how they handle it....

The reason it’s such a poor schedule, even though computer points don’t reflect it, is because all the teams stayed in conference and played each other ( with a few exceptions here and there). Teams like Eastlake North,South, Madison, Brush ( even Kenton this year) all play Chardon and each other.....someone has to win, right? So you have inflated won/ loss records with really bad teams. If each team stepped outside of conference and played other teams, you’d see much worse records for these teams. Just an observation. Chardon I’m sure is really good but they haven’t really been tested by a good quality team. Heck even in the playoffs they got a sweetheart deal. Should be a good game With an even better matchup next week if things go as they should.

The reason it’s such a poor schedule, even though computer points don’t reflect it, is because all the teams stayed in conference and played each other ( with a few exceptions here and there). Teams like Eastlake North,South, Madison, Brush ( even Kenton this year) all play Chardon and each other.....someone has to win, right? So you have inflated won/ loss records with really bad teams. If each team stepped outside of conference and played other teams, you’d see much worse records for these teams. Just an observation. Chardon I’m sure is really good but they haven’t really been tested by a good quality team. Heck even in the playoffs they got a sweetheart deal. Should be a good game With an even better matchup next week if things go as they should.
Very true. If you look at Streetsboro, it is almost the same situation. They're blowing out teams, and have not been tested yet

Last edited:
I don't think NP has faced a Wing-T in a while, could be wrong?
At least back when they played Coshocton it gave them a look at and of course preparation for in case they encountered it again in the playoffs.
I know some successful programs besides Chardon and Coshocton along with Mass. Perry run it.
Will be interesting how they handle it....
This season is Chardons 40 yr anniversary running it. Interesting also the head coaches 40th bday a few weeks back

Last year Chardon played a state runner up, a team that gave Hoban all they could handle in a 4 pt loss, and a team that lost to NP by 3. Yep all really bad teams. Actually I’ll give you that the last one wasn’t all that great.

Last year Chardon played a state runner up, a team that gave Hoban all they could handle in a 4 pt loss, and a team that lost to NP by 3. Yep all really bad teams. Actually I’ll give you that the last one wasn’t all that great.

so back to my original point..... they haven’t really been tested this year. But I’m sure the same argument can be said for many teams like wghfan stated

so back to my original point..... they haven’t really been tested this year. But I’m sure the same argument can be said for many teams like wghfan stated
[

Painesville Riverside had a really good team this year. Took Hudson to OT this past weekend before losing. Chardon put them on a running clock. You can only play who's on the schedule.

New Philly has played there last 5 games at home,so they have to hit road for a long bus ride to Chardon,adjusting to all that, after being at home for better than a month, when step off the bus ,there already going to be a good 10-13 points behind on the scoreboard