3200m - Hanna Neczypor - Berea Relays 2009

JAVMAN83

Ok, here's one for the community. I'm beginning work on the all-time 3200m list, concentrating on only sub-10:30 performers & performances. I came across this one:

Hannah Neczypor - 3200m - 10:11.72 - Berea Relays - 1 May 2009
Event 31 Girls 3200 Meter Run
=======================================================================
Meet: ! 10:48.70 2008 Neczypor, North Royalton
Name Year School Finals Points
1 225 Neczypor, Hannah North Royalt 10:11.72! 15
2 436 Zangmeister, Jessi Fairview Par 11:32.58 12
3 McDaniel, Loren Brunswick 11:33.40 10
4 712 Allen, Lauren Will. South 11:57.59 8
5 802 Evans, Hannah Lakewood 12:13.42 7
6 701 Kovatch, Shaina Valley Forge 12:16.81 5
7 568 Midlik, Corrine Medina 12:17.55 4
8 307 DiBiasio, Olivia Berea 12:21.63 3
9 209 Brobst, Katie Highland 12:37.74 2
10 814 Tripi, Kristin Midpark 12:41.41 1
11 703 Alshabani, Nuha Normandy 13:45.91

Can anyone verify this? Typo? This would be faster than Heffernan's 10:14.91 from the 2015 State meet.

The results have a note stating she broke the state record so I'd take it as legit. My guess is no one with the meet bothered to submit an official record application to OHSAA

Thank you, gentlemen. The error by the officials...geez, what a way for a kid to lose a record. It'll go on my list under a special notation. Geez.

Nice catch MS. The results on milesplit omitted the full explanation.
This topic brought back a few memories.

- As mentioned earlier, I remember hearing about this race on another message board from that era as well as the reason why Hannah's performance would not count as an official OHSAA record.

- Milesplit was either in its infancy or on the verge of creation in those days. It was easy to miss out on a lot of context with regards to the performances that were listed in Milesplit's database. Around that time, there was a kid from Dover who was attending OSU that had his own website where he maintained performance lists. I assume it was some kind of a class project for him. IIRC, a person could enter a time on his site, and then he would have to authorize it in order for it to appear.

- Incidentally, I noticed that the Berea Relays scored 10 places with a points scale of: 15-12-10-8-7-5-4-3-2-1. That's not something we see every day.

- Lastly, it was only a few years later that Berea (Braves) and Midpark (Meteors) HSs merged to form Berea-Midpark (Titans). Near the end, you had the likes of Donovan Robertson hurdling for Berea, and you had the Barber twins Jade and Kaila winning multiple events for Midpark. The results from above that are linked to MileSplit's website make it appear that Berea-Midpark was already a thing in 2009, but that was not the case. The merger occurred after the 2012-2013 school year.

Last edited:
Yes, I did catch that transition from Berea to Berea-Midpark after Robertson. He's in my hurdles listings, of course, and when I looked at his affiliation @ the State meet in 2012, then his affiliation on MileSplit, I did see the error of MileSplit in not differentiating the two eras. Another reason for me to put together all-time lists in order to correct mistakes.

Thanks for all your insights!

Ok, here's one for the community. I'm beginning work on the all-time 3200m list, concentrating on only sub-10:30 performers & performances. I came across this one:

Hannah Neczypor - 3200m - 10:11.72 - Berea Relays - 1 May 2009
Event 31 Girls 3200 Meter Run
Meet: ! 10:48.70 2008 Neczypor, North Royalton
Name Year School Finals Points
1 225 Neczypor, Hannah North Royalt 10:11.72! 15
2 436 Zangmeister, Jessi Fairview Par 11:32.58 12
3 McDaniel, Loren Brunswick 11:33.40 10
4 712 Allen, Lauren Will. South 11:57.59 8
5 802 Evans, Hannah Lakewood 12:13.42 7
6 701 Kovatch, Shaina Valley Forge 12:16.81 5
7 568 Midlik, Corrine Medina 12:17.55 4
8 307 DiBiasio, Olivia Berea 12:21.63 3
9 209 Brobst, Katie Highland 12:37.74 2
10 814 Tripi, Kristin Midpark 12:41.41 1
11 703 Alshabani, Nuha Normandy 13:45.91

Can anyone verify this? Typo? This would be faster than Heffernan's 10:14.91 from the 2015 State meet.
Hannah, if memory serves, ran a 10:16 actual two-mile just prior to that, a night time meet at Lakewood High School. One of you geeks will have to do the 3,200 conversion. She was special, a great kid. I interviewed her on-site at the Tiffin XC Carnival immediately following a 17:22 5k. When she was feeling it, and conditions were right, the North Royalton future Dukie was a gazelle.

Hannah, if memory serves, ran a 10:16 actual two-mile just prior to that, a night time meet at Lakewood High School. One of you geeks will have to do the 3,200 conversion. She was special, a great kid. I interviewed her on-site at the Tiffin XC Carnival immediately following a 17:22 5k. When she was feeling it, and conditions were right, the North Royalton future Dukie was a gazelle.
I thought Neczypor went to Georgetown.

This topic brought back a few memories.

- As mentioned earlier, I remember hearing about this race on another message board from that era as well as the reason why Hannah's performance would not count as an official OHSAA record.

- Milesplit was either in its infancy or on the verge of creation in those days. It was easy to miss out on a lot of context with regards to the performances that were listed in Milesplit's database. Around that time, there was a kid from Dover who was attending OSU that had his own website where he maintained performance lists. I assume it was some kind of a class project for him. IIRC, a person could enter a time on his site, and then he would have to authorize it in order for it to appear.

- Incidentally, I noticed that the Berea Relays scored 10 places with a points scale of: 15-12-10-8-7-5-4-3-2-1. That's not something we see every day.

- Lastly, it was only a few years later that Berea (Braves) and Midpark (Meteors) HSs merged to form Berea-Midpark (Titans). Near the end, you had the likes of Donovan Robertson hurdling for Berea, and you had the Barber twins Jade and Kaila winning multiple events for Midpark. The results from above that are linked to MileSplit's website make it appear that Berea-Midpark was already a thing in 2009, but that was not the case. The merger occurred after the 2012-2013 school year.
Yes, I did catch that transition from Berea to Berea-Midpark after Robertson. He's in my hurdles listings, of course, and when I looked at his affiliation @ the State meet in 2012, then his affiliation on MileSplit, I did see the error of MileSplit in not differentiating the two eras. Another reason for me to put together all-time lists in order to correct mistakes.

Thanks for all your insights!
Donovan Robertson and Hannah were at the same time, or at least overlapped, unless I remember incorrectly. I interviewed both of them at the Cleveland Marathon Expo in a booth they created for me. They were both nationally significant.

10:16.00 Full 2 Mile should convert to 10:12.43.

I use 0.9942, as does MileSplit.

Can any of you confirm a record

Division 1 State Record Girls 800 Meter Run 2:00.37 4/17/2021 Allison Johnson - Mount Gilead

This is what is in the OHSAA records that were kept by baumspage and now I have control of but I see no record of this anywhere in results that I can find. From what I can see the fastest she has ever run is 2:05 or so and that was the next year in college. It just jumped out at me when I was looking over some things setting up the meet.

Division 1 State Record Girls 800 Meter Run 2:00.37 4/17/2021 Allison Johnson - Mount Gilead

This is what is in the OHSAA records that were kept by baumspage and now I have control of but I see no record of this anywhere in results that I can find. From what I can see the fastest she has ever run is 2:05 or so and that was the next year in college. It just jumped out at me when I was looking over some things setting up the meet.
For starters, it wouldn't be a D1 state record since Mt. Gilead is in Division 3. Her Penn State bio claims her fastest HS 800 was 2:05.20. I would think either she or they would be eager to provide a faster time for the bio if it existed.

On 4/17/21, Mt. Gilead split their girls team b/w the Mehock Relays and Loudonville's Cowen Invitational. Johnson is listed as having run the 4x800 at Mehock and also ran the 100H prelims but not the final. There is nothing to indicate she ran a 2:00.37 on that particular date.

Last edited:

Fastest I have for Allison is her 2:05.20 from the Brooks Invite (7/2/21) last summer. That is #2 on the all-time OH list, just behind the 2:04.5 MT by Nancy Shafer (North Canton Hoover) way back on 8/29/69 @ Warsaw, Poland (8 Nations Meet).

If she'd run 2:00.xx, the whole national HS t&f community would've been talking about her. Somebody obviously punched in the wrong time for her and didn't correct it.

My current sub-2:09.00 Ohio Girls' list:

Attachments

• Ohio All-Time Lists - Women - 800 meters - sub 2m9sec.pdf
    25.5 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
I just did a lot of searching of Allison's performances in 2021. April 17th never happened for her, nor a 2:00.37. As I stated, somebody BOTCHED their job and the error was never caught. I'd be glad to help review any other data if so desired.

Yes I meant d3. That is why I wanted to ask because it stuck out to me that I am for sure I would have heard something about it. Now to find the D3 actual record. I have asked OHSAA to see if they can find the record form for it and verify what it says.

Yes I meant d3. That is why I wanted to ask because it stuck out to me that I am for sure I would have heard something about it. Now to find the D3 actual record. I have asked OHSAA to see if they can find the record form for it and verify what it says.
Top of my head has me thinking Stephanie Morgan of Barnesville still holds the D3 800 record, circa 2009.

EDIT: OHSAA website has Allison Johnson as the D3 record holder. 2:07.49 at Hilliard on 4/9/21

The meet results: https://results.timingfirst.com/meets/7831/events/259071/results

Last edited:
I would propose that the D3 in season record belongs to either:

2:07.2 MT - Stephanie Morgan (Barnesville) - Shamrock Relays - 5/17/08

or

2:07.49 FAT - Allison Johnson - Hilliard Darby/Davidson Premier @ Hilliard Darby - 4/10/21

See my spreadsheet above.

Last edited:
I would propose that the D3 in season record belongs to either:

2:07.2 MT - Stephanie Morgan (Barnesville) - Shamrock Relays - 5/17/08

or

2:07.49 FAT - Allison Johnson - Triangular @ Hilliard Darby - 4/10/21

See my spreadsheet above.
Hilliard Premier was not a triangular meet. It was an invitational. Performances achieved in triangulars are ineligible for OHSAA records.

Last edited:
I've always thought that rule was an unnecessary & discriminatory rule from the old days (pre-FAT) where schools could possibly get away with a less than honest record submission. My belief is that if the appropriate officials, timing & track setup, & execution of the meet are done properly, then the number of schools competing should not matter. Duals, triangulars, and quads should count, too.

As an FYI for everyone, any time recorded to only one decimal point on my list was manually-timed. All times that have two decimal points represent FAT only.

I've updated the 800m/880yd file to reflect additional confirmation of information of the Vetter sisters (Chardon) in the mid-70s and of Susan Nash (Rosecrans) in 1984.