23-24 SW Ohio

Thoughts on the first week of basketball? A lot of teams are just starting this week, but quite a few teams got in a few games over Thanksgiving.

A little surprised with some of the Dayton teams. Springboro (They are solid) knocking off Lakota East and Beavercreek getting Mason. Also Alter getting East as well. I know its early but I didnt expect to see that.
Is Princeton the cream of the crop in Cincinnat after a great game vs Winton Woods? MND vs Lakota East tonight, How will MND be?

Looks like there will be a ton of parity this year besides Princeton maybe. I think the GGCL is way down, the GMC is top heavy and the ECC is solid top to bottom besides Anderson because there best player tore their acl, and Winton Woods is by far the best in the ECC

So can we get a top 5 list in Cincinnati/Dayton/Southwest area?

1. Princeton
2. Winton Woods
3. Mason
4. MND
5. Springboro/Lebanon
??????

So can we get a top 5 list in Cincinnati/Dayton/Southwest area?

1. Princeton
2. Winton Woods
3. Mason
4. MND
5. Springboro/Lebanon
??????
I think I would go a little different on my top 5 but thats solid. I think mine would go:

1. Princeton
2. Winton Woods
3. Springboro (after there effort against Purcell)
4. Mason
5. Lakota West

I would probably have Lebanon/Lakota East next. Not sure how much I believe in this MND team.

East looked tired. Cudos to MND though. they played hard and couldnt miss. I expect MND to be in the mix of it if they play like that all year.
Surprised to see how many games East is playing in a short period of time. Last night made 4 games in 6 days, and looks like they play back to back again this coming Sat/Sun. That'll be 6 games in 12 days if my math is correct.

Surprised to see how many games East is playing in a short period of time. Last night made 4 games in 6 days, and looks like they play back to back again this coming Sat/Sun. That'll be 6 games in 12 days if my math is correct.
And one of those games is Pickerington Central. Lots of early games. A couple tweets I saw suggested that they are missing some players. Not surprised that someone said they looked tired if that's the case.

West Clermont played a low scoring game against a pretty average Loveland team. Interested to see how that team pans out.

Mason lost unexpectedly to Beavercreek and then played Lebanon close. Are those teams better than expected or is Mason down? They graduated quite a bit.

Don't think West has played yet?

Kings is 2-0 but not sure if Wayne or Milford are any good.

As others stated, Princeton and Winton Woods look to be real deal.

Not sure about the GGCL outside of MND. Seton?

And one of those games is Pickerington Central. Lots of early games. A couple tweets I saw suggested that they are missing some players. Not surprised that someone said they looked tired if that's the case.

West Clermont played a low scoring game against a pretty average Loveland team. Interested to see how that team pans out.

Mason lost unexpectedly to Beavercreek and then played Lebanon close. Are those teams better than expected or is Mason down? They graduated quite a bit.

Springboro is for real!

Seton is very young; two juniors 2 freshman, and 5 sophomores; They played a brutal scrimmage schedule of Springboro, East, Purcell, and Milford (was supposed to play Lakota West too). They will grow with experience of playing together against veteran teams but they have a chance to be really good in the next couple of years and build off it. They host MND tonight so that can be a good early indicator; it is also very early in the season.

Seton is very young; two juniors 2 freshman, and 5 sophomores; They played a brutal scrimmage schedule of Springboro, East, Purcell, and Milford (was supposed to play Lakota West too). They will grow with experience of playing together against veteran teams but they have a chance to be really good in the next couple of years and build off it. They host MND tonight so that can be a good early indicator; it is also very early in the season.
New coach last year, graduated a ton of seniors and had no juniors on the team. But also looks like only half of last year's sophomores wanted to come back and play for him again, smaller team this year too. Have to wonder if the girls there are just not buying into what it takes to elevate the program like soccer and volleyball there in recent years. The coaches have had them in the gym at all hours and lifting more this year but watching the scrimmage against PM they just don't have the stamina yet.

I would never count East out this early, no matter what the record. They are trying to figure out how to replace the 20pts a game from 3yr starters French & Smith so not surprised at the inconsistent results this early. Looks like they had everyone back this week and for the game vs. MND so will be curious to see how they match up with Pick Central.

WOW!! Let the speculation begin for Mason replacement.
Screenshot_20231130_154139_Yahoo_Mail.jpeg

Last edited:
West Clermont will be nowhere near what they were last year. Not sure how good ECC will be so no thoughts on their record. They lost best 2 players and Hale may find out what life is like without them . Sometimes being option 3 is easier than being option 1. Plus I think they are still very young.

Anyone have any updated opinions on the GMC, GGCL, ECC, GWOC or D1 southwest Ohio as a whole after everyones first three or four games?
GWOC
Springboro seems to be legit. Wins over Lakota East, Fairmont (Kaylah Thorton is going to be a problem), Beavercreek (who beat Mason), and lost to Purcell by 2.

Fairmont isn't far behind. They've got some young talent combined with some senior leadership this year. Thorton is the real deal and only a sophomore.

GGCL
MND might be better than some thought. Wins over Lakota East and Dublin Coffman. Fladung's recruits seem to be paying off. That's why they brought him. Not sure the rest of the GGCL is going to do much, although Seton has some young talent.

GMC
Princeton is Princeton. That roster is loaded. Gerton is going to dominate the shot attempts and Givens will follow up. They have a slew of solid players behind them too. Too early to know, but could be favorite to win another state championship.

Still forming an opinion on Lakota East. Lost to Springboro, Alter and MND while apparently shorthanded due to injury. Then, played Pickerington Central real close over the weekend. This week might tell us more when they face Lakota West.

Just looking at box scores, Lakota West looks like it's going to be dominated by Bayliff and Fox. So far those two players have taken over half of Lakota West's shots. Who else can score on that team? Only scored 44 against Oak Hills over the weekend. Tomorrow should tell us more.

Still forming an opinion on Mason. Similar to Lakota West, who can score outside of Habra and Parrish? They get Lakota West this weekend.

ECC

Most are predicting Winton Woods to win ECC and it still seems like a solid choice. Winton Woods played Princeton very close and could have won if not for free throws. But then they turn around a play another close game with Milford, who lost to Kings by 20. Kings and WW face each other this week, so that should answer some questions.

West Clermont, Lebanon, Kings and Milford are all going to win games in the ECC, but I don't see a clear 2nd best team yet. I think they will beat up on each other a bit as the season goes on.

GMC: Still a three team race between Princeton, Lakota East, & Mason. West is still too young but may knock one of the three off. Mason the most likely candidate. East just completed the gauntlet with their early season schedule. They’ll be battle tested. Will be some good games. East vs West tomorrow will tell us more about West.

GGCL: MND still owns this league. Saw them recently and impressed. Deep, athletic, & aggressive. Seton is young and building.

ECC: Winton Woods is the team to beat. Lebanon, Kings, West Clermont are in the conversation but not at the same level. If Trammel imposes her will they don’t get beat in league.

GWOC: Springboro is the team to beat. Played Purcell very tough losing by a bucket after pulling out a buzzer beater vs Lakota East 4 days earlier. This team will go as Martin & Trent go. Fairmont and Beavercreek may challenge. I haven’t seen much of other teams in this league.

Final out of Jackson TN Tournament late Friday
Clarksville Christian (TN) 56
Princeton (OH) 50

Lauren Hassell 6'3" Freshman.
'27 Top 150 Nationally Clarksville Christian 19 pts, 12 rbs (6 offensive rb)

Vikings play 8-0 Dyersburg (TN), #10 TN in MaxPreps rankings today
Clarksville Christian #21 TN Ranking MaxPreps
Early season so rankings always a little off, Princeton NR in OH, Haven't played Minimum # of games yet

Why doesn't Seton have any Seniors? A few years ago I think I remember them cutting most of the upperclassmen with a coaching change. Did that happen again?

I'm a huge proponent of having the best players play regardless of grade level, but I also find it hard to believe they don't have many capable juniors and seniors. Maybe the younger players are better?

Why doesn't Seton have any Seniors? A few years ago I think I remember them cutting most of the upperclassmen with a coaching change. Did that happen again?

I'm a huge proponent of having the best players play regardless of grade level, but I also find it hard to believe they don't have many capable juniors and seniors. Maybe the younger players are better?
It's a good question. Simply put, the younger players are better. Last year there were no Juniors which translated to no Seniors for this year. There were a couple Juniors this year that unfortunately were cut. This was due to a good Sophomore class, good Freshman class, and a good Freshman class coming in next year. The coaches felt there were only so many spots available for this year's Juniors. Good problem to have.

The coaching change a couple years ago could have something to do with this year's Senior class not coming out that last two years. The other factor is that volleyball and soccer hold reign on the Westside. While basketball attendance is improving, it's still little sister to the other sports. Girls high school basketball loses some good athletes because the attention soccer demands give these girls little chance to play. Some girls and their clubs can make it work, seems most can't.