2024 NCAA Wrestling D1 Qualifiers from Ohio

Yankeefan33

I try to do something similar each year, highlighting wrestlers from Ohio that qualify for NCAAs. Note- I go strictly off of what the hometown is on the university website. If someone went to high school here but it's not listed as their hometown (David Taylor a good example), I will not catch it. If I forget someone, let me know!

This will be updated throughout the weekend. I'll also try and note Ohio-adjacent wrestlers who qualified.

- Tanner Jordan, South Dakota State, Graham
- Brendan McCrone, Ohio State, Lake Catholic

- Dylan Shawver, Rutgers, Elyria
- Marlon Yarbrough, Virginia, Copley

- Mitch Moore, Rutgers, Graham

- Matthew Williams, Army, CVCA
- Dylan D'Emilio, Ohio State, Genoa
- Alek Martin, South Dakota State, Graham

- Peyten Kellar, Ohio , Warren
- Joey Blaze, Purdue, Perrysburg
- Bryce Andonian, Virginia Tech, St. Edward

- David Carr, Iowa State, Massillon Perry
- Tyler Lillard, Indiana, Aurora
- Connor Brady, Virginia Tech, Liberty
- Derek Fields, North Carolina State, Brunswick

- Ben Pasiuk, Army, Carrollton
- Lennox Wolak, Columbia, Dublin Coffman
- Myles Takats, Bucknell, Perrysburg
- Austin Murphy, Campbell, Elder
- Brody Conley, West Virginia, Columbian

- Anthony D'Alesio, LIU, Canfield
- Dylan Fishback, North Carolina State, Aurora

- Ben Smith, Cleveland State, Hoover
- Luke Geog, Ohio State, St. Edward

- Daniel Bucknavich, Cleveland State, Midview
- Lucas Stoddard, Army, Berkshire
- Matt Cover, Princeton, Bay
- Jordan Greer, Ohio, Avon

Last edited:

Ohio-Adjacent Wrestlers to Qualify:

Ohio State
- Nic Bouzakis, 133lbs
- Jesse Mendez, 141lbs
- Isaac Wilcox, 157lbs
- Rocco Welsh, 174lbs
- Ryder Rogotzke, 184lbs
- Nick Feldman, 285lbs

Ohio
- Garrett Thompson, 165lbs

Former Ohio State Wrestlers
- Anthony Echemendia, 141lbs, Iowa State
- Quinn Kinner, 149lbs, Rider
- Greg Kerkvliet, 285lbs, Penn State

Last edited:
Special recognition goes to Anthony D'Alesio of LIU, who became the first LIU wrestler to qualify for D1 NCAAs in the program's history. D'Alesio beat the #7 seed in the first round and upset the #4 seed in the 7th place match to qualify. A great achievement for both him and the university!

Special recognition goes to Peyten Kellar of Ohio, their first MAC champion since 2017! Big win for the alma mater.

Last edited:
This is updated through Day 1. I think 18 is a good number, should get several more tomorrow with Big 12 consis. We usually end up around 25-30 after wild cards.

This is updated through Day 1. I think 18 is a good number, should get several more tomorrow with Big 12 consis. We usually end up around 25-30 after wild cards.
With the last qualifier just ending (thanks Pac-12!), a semi-final tally. Ended up with 24 qualifiers pre-wildcards, which is pretty solid. It's a little late to look back at previous years, but I think this is a solid group. There are a couple of guys I think could get wildcards that were close to qualifying.

Andonian hasn't made it?

Update: Ok I see why

2024-03-12_14-37-16 Bryce.png

Last edited:
I don't know much about college wrestling, so for you guys who do, if you had to bet your house, your pickup, and your dog on who of the 28 will finish highest, who would you select? By the rankings I guess Carr pretty much would be the unanimous choice followed by Shawver. But if you eliminate those two from consideration it appears that things aren't clear cut.

What a shame for Bryce Hepner. Loved watching him bang this year. In one disastrous weekend, he goes from #14 Coaches' Rank to not even being a designated alternate at NCAAs (so outside the top 35).

I haven't done a deep dive, but it seems like his weekend results were held against him extra harshly. He did fall 4 times, but all to national qualifiers, and he still sat at 13-7 without bad losses. InterMat drops him to 29 and he's 23 on Wrestlestat. Based on season-long data, he's one of the bigger snubs.

Last edited:
I don't know much about college wrestling, so for you guys who do, if you had to bet your house, your pickup, and your dog on who of the 28 will finish highest, who would you select? By the rankings I guess Carr pretty much would be the unanimous choice followed by Shawver. But if you eliminate those two from consideration it appears that things aren't clear cut.
Very much a down year in terms of elite talent coming out of the state. Andonian, if healthy, will be an All-American threat. Shawver looked great at Big 10s, would expect a run from him as well.

I think guys like Blaze and Fishback are a year away from competing for the podium. I also think we have seen Ohio high school wrestling decrease in competitiveness nationally the last half decade, with less nationally ranked guys and big time prospects. We are finally seeing the fallout of that at the D1 NCAA level.

Who from St. Ed’s qualified? I know Gallagher has been injured. Looks like Andonian qualified as an at large. Hepner was a snub. How about others?

Who from St. Ed’s qualified? I know Gallagher has been injured. Looks like Andonian qualified as an at large. Hepner was a snub. How about others?
Hepner wasn't a snub. He wrestled flat and looked out of it., he didn't earn it at all. Giving him an at large bid is like giving everyone a ribbon for competing. This isn't a grade school science fair. This is the NCAA wrestling tournament. He had all season to have a bad tournament. Having one at Big10's wont get the job done.

Hepner wasn't a snub. He wrestled flat and looked out of it., he didn't earn it at all. Giving him an at large bid is like giving everyone a ribbon for competing. This isn't a grade school science fair. This is the NCAA wrestling tournament. He had all season to have a bad tournament. Having one at Big10's wont get the job done.
When I said he was a "snub" in my earlier comment, what I meant to say is this: he's one of the post-conference highest-rated guys in the nation that will not be at NCAAs. All of the at-large guys at 165 that were chosen are ranked above him, so he's not a "snub", per se, you're definitely right.

Giving him an at large bid is like giving everyone a ribbon for competing.
Welcome to NCAAs. It's literally 43% of the D1 starters, and all of the at-larges lost significant matches at their tournaments. (Still, "snub" wasn't the right word since he's ranked lower than guys that got in. He was in the wrong weight class to have such an awful tournament.)

If you're going to throw out Shawver and Carr. My next two choices would be Andonian and D'Emilio. Both returning AA's. Andonian has proven how dangerous he is, but how healthy is he is going to be the question at NCAA's. D'Emilio had an incredible run at NCAA's last season. He has taken a couple losses this year that might be head scratching, but if I had to bet, I would take him to return to the podium.

If you're going to throw out Shawver and Carr. My next two choices would be Andonian and D'Emilio. Both returning AA's. Andonian has proven how dangerous he is, but how healthy is he is going to be the question at NCAA's. D'Emilio had an incredible run at NCAA's last season. He has taken a couple losses this year that might be head scratching, but if I had to bet, I would take him to return to the podium.
Agree with this.

I see a lot of future college wrestling analysts in this thread. I’m lucky to have this opportunity to know who is good and who isn’t.

Ohio HS wrestlers through Round 1.

Wins: 10
Losses: 18

Upsets wins according to seeds
Marlon Yarbrough over former All-American
Ben Pasiuk as the #18 knocked off #15

Not upsets according to seeds, but significant 1st round wins
Mitch Moore over former All-American
Austin Murphy over former All-American

Only one of the losses was considered an upset according to seeds
Dylan Fishback as the #10 lost to #23

Last edited:
QUARTERFINALISTS:
133 - Dylan Shawver, Rutgers, Elyria
157 - Bryce Andonian, Virginia Tech, St. Edward
165 - David Carr, Iowa State, Massillon Perry
174 - Lennox Wolak, Columbia, Dublin Coffman

Still alive in the the consolation bracket:
125 - Tanner Jordan, South Dakota State, Graham
125 - Brendan McCrone, Ohio State, Lake Catholic
133 - Marlon Yarbrough, Virginia, Copley
141- Mitch Moore, Rutgers, Graham
149- Dylan D'Emilio, Ohio State, Genoa
157 - Peyten Kellar, Ohio , Warren
165 - Tyler Lillard, Indiana, Aurora
174 - Ben Pasiuk, Army, Carrollton
174 - Austin Murphy, Campbell, Elder
184- Dylan Fishback, North Carolina State, Aurora
285 - Daniel Bucknavich, Cleveland State, Midview

13 Ohio HS Wrestlers went 0-2 and were eliminated on day 1.

Impressed with Yarbrough, especially since he's wrestling as a 133lber when he was 113lbs as a high school senior
That's what I was telling the other teachers I share a room with when watching his opening round match yesterday. I said he must've hit the weights and/or hit a growth spurt because I remember him being a small 106 for what felt like a long time.

That's what I was telling the other teachers I share a room with when watching his opening round match yesterday. I said he must've hit the weights and/or hit a growth spurt because I remember him being a small 106 for what felt like a long time.
He was like 90-95 lb in 9th grade. Dont think he even wrestled 113 until senior year and probably could have still made 106 but his younger brother was a freshman at 106 (going off memory).

He still looks smaller at 133 than the other kids he was wrestling.