2024 GCYL League Discussion

Would be interesting to compare this to the increase in obesity over the past 40-50 years.
Solid point.

Obesity aside, kids are just way bigger. They are taller and have broader builds than 40-50 years ago. It's all the growth hormones and chemicals in all food here in the US.

Middle school and freshman teams look like high school teams from 20 years ago. D2&D3 college teams from 20 years ago are smaller than most high school teams today.

It's crazy to see how big they are today.

Solid point.

Obesity aside, kids are just way bigger. They are taller and have broader builds than 40-50 years ago. It's all the growth hormones and chemicals in all food here in the US.

Middle school and freshman teams look like high school teams from 20 years ago. D2&D3 college teams from 20 years ago are smaller than most high school teams today.

It's crazy to see how big they are today.
You forgot your tin foil hat again.

I’m sure better nutrition, coaching, strength training have nothing to do with it.

You forgot your tin foil hat again.

I’m sure better nutrition, coaching, strength training have nothing to do with it.
Strength training isn't drastically different than 20 years ago. Neither is nutrition. Do kids take those more seriously today, absolutely, without question.

But kids that aren't involved with sports at all are also bigger. To think they are not and puberty is happening sooner and sooner, and that's not from "nutrition."

Over the past 15+ years teaching elementary school, my wife has commented on increasing occurrences of "out of the ordinary things" with how kids are maturing. It's really evident in girls. And seems to happen more in kids from low socioeconomic situations where nutrition isn't a thought and the kids eat junk 90% of the time.

But hey, everything is normal.

GCYL needs to be blown up and do a start over. These combined Parish teams have gotten out of hand and they are creating significant mismatches across the league. There are a couple teams out there I guarantee you they have kids that have never stepped foot in a church for Mass much less taken any Catholic classes.

GCYL needs to be blown up and do a start over. These combined Parish teams have gotten out of hand and they are creating significant mismatches across the league. There are a couple teams out there I guarantee you they have kids that have never stepped foot in a church for Mass much less taken any Catholic classes.
What would you propose they do? Either the westside teams combine and go club football like the others or you simply start a new league under a new direction and hope others come with you. The shrinking teams due to mergers are leaving some of them high and dry with no growth opportunity.

What would you propose they do? Either the westside teams combine and go club football like the others or you simply start a new league under a new direction and hope others come with you. The shrinking teams due to mergers are leaving some of them high and dry with no growth opportunity.
There is something really stupid happening on the west side right now, force-saving (they think) a program that they don't want to lose.

Chaminade and Alter and Carroll have a feeder system up here under the Dayton Knights and Eagles. It may make sense to do that. How many kids you guys have per grade level at some of these individual schools?

St. Antonius is in jeopardy of losing the football program due to lack of numbers and do not have anyone they can pull from to help them stay a float which would mean we lose another youth football program in the GCYL. I don't know where the kids will end up playing at if the numbers don't increase at each level. Does that sound right Mickey?

Last edited:
What are the west side teams these days?

Visi (stand alone)
Victory (with some Williams, Lawrence,and Holy Family maybe contributing a few kids per grade?)
Jude/Lourdes (with maybe a couple Als/Catherines kids per grade?
Antoninus (and maybe Theresa?)
Ignatius (stand alone?)
James (and 4-5 of the other northwest area parishes?)

Visi is probably doing good enough to be on their own. If Antoninus is struggling it would probably make sense to combine with Victory? I do think eventually they need to just make the Jr panther team. Could probably have 2 teams of 30ish kids per grade? Could do A and B or split the talent evenly and have team purple and white.

St. Antonius is in jeopardy of losing the football program due to lack of numbers and do not have anyone they can pull from to help them stay a float which would mean we lose another youth football program in the GCYL. I don't know where the kids will end up playing at if the numbers don't increase at each level. Does that sound right Mickey?
For the most part, yes. The Antoninus kids should be going to the Vols so they have a place to play. That's the most rational solution, but they won't do it, insisting on blowing up the thriving Vols, it seems.

Visi (stand alone)
Victory (with some Williams, Lawrence,and Holy Family maybe contributing a few kids per grade?)
Ignatius (stand alone?)

Visi is probably doing good enough to be on their own. If Antoninus is struggling it would probably make sense to combine with Victory? I do think eventually they need to just make the Jr panther team. Could probably have 2 teams of 30ish kids per grade? Could do A and B or split the talent evenly and have team purple and white.
This is close. Victory has Dominic also. St. Al's contributes more than a couple at each grade from K-6. Just one seventh grader and one eight grader this fall — we've had a resurgence in the younger grades. Thank ya, Joe Burrow.

Visi (stand alone)
Ignatius (stand alone?)

Does anyone have an idea where the Martins kids are headed school wise? I would think Catherine's and Lourdes will get the most kids with the closure of the school.

This is close. Victory has Dominic also. St. Al's contributes more than a couple at each grade from K-6. Just one seventh grader and one eight grader this fall — we've had a resurgence in the younger grades. Thank ya, Joe Burrow.
Who has the better numbers between Victory and the Volunteers?

For the most part, yes. The Antoninus kids should be going to the Vols so they have a place to play. That's the most rational solution, but they won't do it, insisting on blowing up the thriving Vols, it seems.
If Victory needs players that would be an option (closer) but not sure if they need them and even if this is a short-term issue or longer one

Chaminade and Alter and Carroll have a feeder system up here under the Dayton Knights and Eagles. It may make sense to do that. How many kids you guys have per grade level at some of these individual schools?
Who do the Knights and Eagles play?

They play the feeder school based community pee wee teams up here. Alter's 5th grade feeder team put a hurtin on us last year. Extremely well coached.
So Alter has their own elementary school team. I assume these are kids already committed to Alter. When you say community based teams you mean Centerville, Bellbrook, Dayton City schools etc?