2023 Southwestern Buckeye League

I agree with the offense. It does need to change or if you want to run it at least do it under a pistol or gun formation. you can have some of the same concepts but you can throw some wrinkles in it like a few pass plays. Carlisle is in a tricky spot, Clod is a decent coach and holds the kids accountable, sure his offense is to be desired at all. With that being said who would take over Carlisle? They are a D5 school with smallest enrollment in SWBL. Tough spot to be in. I don't know the right answers and only hear certain things in the community. I know the board and AD really like Clods structure and life lessons that he teaches. Trust me we all want to be 10-0 - 8-2 every year with a Madden offense.
There’s plenty quality young coaches that apply for the Carlisle job everytime it’s open, from what I hear the AD just pushing the connection he has from his past position it the pitiful league bethel was in. Carlisle has the talent they are sitting on back to back league champs in baseball and basketball should be the same as it was through Jewell’s and browns run sure every program has a few classes that bottom out but this below avg is the norm for this offense and being content is sad. Give the Carlisle kid who’s had great success at prebble his long overdue shot, I bet he breathes life back into it.

This is really low numbers for Carlisle even over the last few years. I got few nephews there I’ve said before kids want to get excited about being in a modern offense like 99% all teams they watch, open it up. If You have a skill position player who has a skill set to play at the college level coaches aren’t gonna waste time trying to figure if a kids skill set can translate to a spread from this rugby style on a .500 team in D5. I mean I’m an old guy who grew up with the wingT and veer but it’s time to evolve.
Carlisle also did not have a boy's soccer season in 2022 due to low numbers. That's not a lot of boys playing sports in the fall.......

Uh didnot see playoff games but saw the the game against Ross. Butt whuppin VV -line dominated the game.Hard to believe any D5 team could compete at that level.Dont know what happened in the playoffs but I really thought they would win the state.
Ironton had several D1 players including their WR and RB. They had a lot of talent across the board. I think the bigger surprise was then seeing how South Range manhandled Ironton the following week.

There’s plenty quality young coaches that apply for the Carlisle job everytime it’s open, from what I hear the AD just pushing the connection he has from his past position it the pitiful league bethel was in. Carlisle has the talent they are sitting on back to back league champs in baseball and basketball should be the same as it was through Jewell’s and browns run sure every program has a few classes that bottom out but this below avg is the norm for this offense and being content is sad. Give the Carlisle kid who’s had great success at prebble his long overdue shot, I bet he breathes life back into it.
I get your unhappy with the offense but your also a little out of touch, here. Winning in baseball and basketball is not the same as winning in football. If you have 3 or 4 really good players in baseball or a couple of solid pitchers with some decent talent around them, you can win a lot more than you lose. 1 or 2 really good basketball players with some solid role players and you win a lot more than you lose. In football, you need a solid core of at least 10-20 kids with solid role players around then and even then it is still dictated by your schedule. Jewell and Brown had success, but there is a big difference between playing Dixie, Preble Shawnee, Northridge and Madison every year and playing Valley View, Eaton, Brookville and Madison.

I get your unhappy with the offense but your also a little out of touch, here. Winning in baseball and basketball is not the same as winning in football. If you have 3 or 4 really good players in baseball or a couple of solid pitchers with some decent talent around them, you can win a lot more than you lose. 1 or 2 really good basketball players with some solid role players and you win a lot more than you lose. In football, you need a solid core of at least 10-20 kids with solid role players around then and even then it is still dictated by your schedule. Jewell and Brown had success, but there is a big difference between playing Dixie, Preble Shawnee, Northridge and Madison every year and playing Valley View, Eaton, Brookville and Madison.
With only 10 games scheduled in football it is so critical to win each week. Baseball and basketball have 20-25 games a season so a loss doesn't seem as bad as a loss in football .

I’m talking Trends and at Carlisle through the 2000 through the Teens they were winning in all three sports and most athletes transition between all three sports. They most certainly was not bottom of the barrel or content with that by any means. Sink or swim I don’t care I just know the attitudes of the kids coming up and see a solution.

A
Also they’ve always played those schools and faired well, as well as Franklin regular. Before clod the last few coaches owned eaton and battled back and forth with Madison at their peak years. So now you’re running to that pitiful conference clod came from playing 2 Div down teams that preble and Dixie would squash just for wins to secure a playoff spot. If you don’t wanna competitive program don’t pretend it’s all I’m saying.

A

Also they’ve always played those schools and faired well, as well as Franklin regular. Before clod the last few coaches owned eaton and battled back and forth with Madison at their peak years. So now you’re running to that pitiful conference clod came from playing 2 Div down teams that preble and Dixie would squash just for wins to secure a playoff spot. If you don’t wanna competitive program don’t pretend it’s all I’m saying.
I’m not sure changing play style or coach is going to fix much, the problem for Carlisle now is they will always be out numbered (besides Madison) in this league, they could have a year where they go 7-3 maybe 8-2 but those years are going to be few and far between. They play mostly larger schools now which in the past they were one of the larger schools on the side they were on. Beating VV, Eaton, Brookville, Waynesville plus the 2 crossover games each year is a tough ask for a school Carlisle’s size again not saying in some years they wouldn’t beat those teams I just believe year in year out that’s probably not likely. They have done better in basketball but in my opinion that small school side isn’t the best in terms of basketball leagues, I don’t really follow baseball but it seems like they do well in the spring so I guess take two goods for one bad. It is weird that they don’t have soccer anymore and football number’s have stayed the same but maybe it’s just a one year thing with soccer numbers.

I’m not sure changing play style or coach is going to fix much, the problem for Carlisle now is they will always be out numbered (besides Madison) in this league, they could have a year where they go 7-3 maybe 8-2 but those years are going to be few and far between. They play mostly larger schools now which in the past they were one of the larger schools on the side they were on. Beating VV, Eaton, Brookville, Waynesville plus the 2 crossover games each year is a tough ask for a school Carlisle’s size again not saying in some years they wouldn’t beat those teams I just believe year in year out that’s probably not likely. They have done better in basketball but in my opinion that small school side isn’t the best in terms of basketball leagues, I don’t really follow baseball but it seems like they do well in the spring so I guess take two goods for one bad. It is weird that they don’t have soccer anymore and football number’s have stayed the same but maybe it’s just a one year thing with soccer numbers.
No never been with one of the largest schools they’ve been with Preble below Madison and above Dixie is the only team, Valley View is in the same region and division they are now, Oakwood Valley view Madison Carlisle Brookville all very comparable enrollment wise,

No never been with one of the largest schools they’ve been with Preble below Madison and above Dixie is the only team, Valley View is in the same region and division they are now, Oakwood Valley view Madison Carlisle Brookville all very comparable enrollment wise,
Yes enrollment wise but I’m talking about football teams size

Oakwood's boys enrollment is 284, pretty sure they moved back up to DIII.
Boys enrollment for the others
Valley View 191
Brookville 188
Madison 181
Carlisle 166
Being the smallest school makes a difference.

Carlisle is having a boys soccer team this season. Think they will have 18/20 kids. I heard 12 of them are Freshman. They didn’t have a team last season due to lack of numbers. For some reason some of the athletes that play basketball and baseball don’t play a fall sport. For being the smallest school in Swbl and winning titles in basketball and baseball should tell you they have the athletes to at least compete. Wish they would all play football. It could be a number of reasons why they don’t? Possible they don’t like the coaches schemes and offensive strategies. Possibly focusing on other sports? Don’t have the answers but for some reason at Carlisle all the athletes don’t play football like they used to.

Last edited:
Oakwood's boys enrollment is 284, pretty sure they moved back up to DIII.
Boys enrollment for the others
Valley View 191
Brookville 188
Madison 181
Carlisle 166
Being the smallest school makes a difference.
20/30 more boys for those schools Oakwood with over 100 more and probably gets them 15/20 more boys on the football team. I know some people don’t think it makes a difference but it does. It’s going to be tough for Carlisle to compete in football.

Carlisle is having a boys soccer team this season. Think they will have 18/20 kids. I heard 12 of them are Freshman. They didn’t have a team last season due to lack of numbers. For some reason some of the athletes that play basketball and baseball don’t play a fall sport. For being the smallest school in Swbl and winning titles in basketball and baseball should tell you they have the athletes to at least compete. Wish they would all play football. It could be a number of reasons why they don’t? Possible they don’t like the coaches schemes and offensive strategies. Possibly focusing on other sports? Don’t have the answers but for some reason at Carlisle all the athletes don’t play football like they used to.
So you are saying a coaching change and spreading out the offense is the answer to being the smallest school. I’d think running the triple option would keep the clock running and keep Carlisle in games with maybe a chance to win at the end which they’ve done over the current HC tenure. As for basketball the small school side of the SWBL is the only league Carlisle is winning in the area so I wouldn’t put too much into that, I don’t really follow baseball so I’m not sure if it’s a good league or not but I’m sure overall it is. As I said above it’s hard to compete against teams who have 20 more kids on the roster than you do Carlisle will have some years I’m sure but it’s not going to be as consistent as it used to be.

No not at all, numbers do hurt them for sure in football. They could be in a lot of games till half. Then just run out of gas, as they are not deep at all. You are correct about running the triple and keeping the clock moving. That’s the coaches idea and plan. I don’t know if a different scheme would be better. I think it would draw more boys out if that was the case though. But still would be the smallest school in Swbl. To be honest I think they can be 6-4 this season and pull a decent seed come playoffs and maybe get a first round win. Obviously Brookville and Valley View are a top of that small school side. In Basketball they are better than previous years and continue to get better. Whole different outlook than a few years ago. Got to take small steps to get to where you want to go as a program. They are taking strides in the right direction.

I agree with the offense. It does need to change or if you want to run it at least do it under a pistol or gun formation. you can have some of the same concepts but you can throw some wrinkles in it like a few pass plays. Carlisle is in a tricky spot, Clod is a decent coach and holds the kids accountable, sure his offense is to be desired at all. With that being said who would take over Carlisle? They are a D5 school with smallest enrollment in SWBL. Tough spot to be in. I don't know the right answers and only hear certain things in the community. I know the board and AD really like Clods structure and life lessons that he teaches. Trust me we all want to be 10-0 - 8-2 every year with a Madden offense.
curious, where has clodfelter been a winning coach? terrible at bcreek and bethel...has he actually succeeded somewhere that i do not know of? not saying he hasn't but where, when was it. i lost track of him.

Uh you are way beyond small steps hello to the 21 century football.
That was for basketball. Basketball at Carlisle was bad for a few years.

Football coach believes in his system, whether we agree or disagree with it. It’s not pretty by no means but sometimes it’s effective.

curious, where has clogfelter been a decent coach? terrible at bcreek and bethel...has he actually succeeded somewhere that i do not know of? not saying he hasn't but where, when was it. i lost track of him.
He has always been Mediocre coach. But that being said he has brought structure and discipline to Carlisle. Not necessarily wins but god morales. Sometimes he has the talent to win more games and fails and sometimes he wins some games he shouldn’t.

Bellbrook has been running the wing-t theirselves for the past 6-7 years under coach Jenkins . We’re very familiar to it . Also consistently put out hard hitting backers off to college year in an out , one at Ohio university. Running back most recently to Toledo. Track record of late has been moving 3-4 rounds deep in the playoffs . Last year a 2nd round loss to wapak was a disappointment, remind you we won the league , all on a “down” year. Valley view lives in the playoffs even with their coaching staff being on constant turnover for a few years , last year state finalist. To act as if your coming into a poor league that you will walk through with ease is wild. I respect confidence but I can’t tell if that’s it or if it’s Arrogance. My research within the past 5-6 years On the Edgewood program doesn’t impress me much but then again maybe our standards in this league are just different ?
Welcome to the swbl , we look forward to great games every week and building great rivalries. It’s truly exciting times . For Bellbrook this helps tremendously with taking that nevt step in the playoffs , beefing our schedule up will benefit come regionals and on !!
Good luck to all 💪💪
Uh your standards? Really? You think Harrison, Ross, and Mt Healthy could not compete in the SWBL? MtHealthy has sent 4 kids to the NFL. How many kids from the SWBL played in the NFL? Uh answer zero_Other than Valley View rest of the league is just average.

Uh your standards? Really? You think Harrison, Ross, and Mt Healthy could not compete in the SWBL? MtHealthy has sent 4 kids to the NFL. How many kids from the SWBL played in the NFL? Uh answer zero_Other than Valley View rest of the league is just average.
Incorrect. SWBL has at least 1 NFL Player right now. Michael Hoecht was Aaron Donald's backup for the past 2 seasons and is projected as a starting olb for 2023. He has a Super Bowl ring. He is an Oakwood grad.

Didn't Mt. Healthy lose to Coldwater, that crappy:unsure:🤣, MAC DV school? Guess those NFL dudes didn't play in that game. Kind of like MH toasts Tipp City in 2019 and Bellbrook lights up Tipp twice in 2021....please, its a new year, newer kids stepping into rolls, new schedules, new everything...the past is past.

curious, where has clodfelter been a winning coach? terrible at bcreek and bethel...has he actually succeeded somewhere that i do not know of? not saying he hasn't but where, when was it. i lost track of him.
He has been an assistant at Oakwood, Tipp, Bethel (alama matre) and Beavercreek (all told 10 years). A HC for 15 or so years at Bethel, Beavercreek were he was GWOC Coach of the Year in 2006, 2007, and 2012... and when Beavercreek won its first championship in 28 years. Now Carlisle.

Just what I pieced together from news articles.

Wes Martin from Milton-Union is playing for the Browns. I know MU is no longer in the SWBL, but they were when he played.

Didn't Mt. Healthy lose to Coldwater, that crappy:unsure:🤣, MAC DV school? Guess those NFL dudes didn't play in that game. Kind of like MH toasts Tipp City in 2019 and Bellbrook lights up Tipp twice in 2021....please, its a new year, newer kids stepping into rolls, new schedules, new everything...the past is past.
Uh what are you talking about. Slow down take a breath . I dont remember Healthy playing Coldwater but it could have happened.How does Healthy" toast" Tipp?
UH sorry went back 4 years and Mt Healthy never played Coldwater. Past is not the past for successful programs. Tradition never dies.

Uh what are you talking about. Slow down take a breath . I dont remember Healthy playing Coldwater but it could have happened.How does Healthy" toast" Tipp?

UH sorry went back 4 years and Mt Healthy never played Coldwater. Past is not the past for successful programs. Tradition never dies.
Healthy played Coldwater in 2019 and CW put a running clock on them.

Phew, I am breathing now...thanks for the recommendation. 2019 MH over TIpp 22-8 and it wasn't even that close...ergo Toast but I did miss the TIpp over MH in the playoffs in 2020, 11-6. Apologizes to the Red Devil faithful.

Yes, traditions do die. Playoff games played on Friday and Saturday, final's games being played only on Friday and Saturday. Don't drink water it shows weakness. Here, take these salt pills, they'll pep you up, bull in the ring, having printed programs and not QRC and finally, the Reds playing THE first game of the MLB season at home. I get what you are saying but no matter how many NFL players have rolled through the hallways, none of them are playing HS football this year.

Stating the league is just average outside of VV can get some dix out for a pizzing contest. Most of the incumbent SWBL teams are pretty solid and by adding new members, the league only gets better... And yes, the past IS the past...

Last edited: