2023 Northern Buckeye Conference

Who wins the 2023 Northern Buckeye Conference?

• Eastwood

Votes: 11 21.2%
  • Fostoria

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Genoa

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • Lake

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maumee

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Oak Harbor

Votes: 27 51.9%
  • Otsego

Votes: 6 11.5%
  • Rossford

Votes: 1 1.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Northwood has a few skill position players that are outstanding. They played very sloppy as a whole vs Rossford....penalties, penalties, penalties, turnovers. That's football....but if they can reduce those errors, which is very possible, I could see Northwood winning winning 7 games this year, or at least 6. They've got decent talent.

Wow! Week 2 prove us anything?

Eastwood 42 Elmwood 7
Woodward 0 Oak Harbor 44
Port Clinton 52 Rossford 21
Northwood 0 Lake 33
Bowsher 6 Genoa 42
Maumee 35 Bryan 42
Fostoria 28 BG 51
Otsego 19 Tinora 27

My take aways. Eastwood beats up a very down Elmwood team. OH still needs competition to give us a look but they take care of business lime they should. Rossford is who they've always been. Lake puts up points against some D1 and D2 talent... Impressive? Genoa offense thrives but is Bowsher any good? Maumee puts up a great fight against a pretty decent Bryan team. Were we all wrong on Maumee this year? Fostoria is who we thought they were. What's goin on at Otsego? Is the brutal 3 game OOC too much? Can they still compete for the league title?

Thoughts?

Stahhp, you cannot be serious when you say that northwood's qb1 would be lucky to play football in college. kid has arm talent but rarely gets to show it off in northwood's 1970's offense. Once they bring the fun and gun to ken james stadium, you'll see what i know. Rangers put up close to 50 on the flyers.
😅😅

Might have been the worst Northwood team I’ve seen in 20+ years. Much improved with the procedure stuff this week for Lake and sophomore QB made some things happen with Sr. starter out. Did pretty much whatever it wanted to on the ground. If they continue to improve up front, they definitely could be a .500 team this season, a far cry from the disaster of a year ago.

I felt this way before the season and the first two weeks have pretty much confirmed it to me. I believe it’s Oak Harbor’s league to lose (next week will really let us know), 2 through 6 should be a battle every week for positioning and then Rossford and Fostoria are probably a little worse than everyone else…

Port Clinton is down this year so you won’t likely find out anything about Oak Harbor in week three. Rossford could very well beat Port Clinton tomorrow night.

That’s if they’ve discovered how to play any defense.

Update

Rossford in fact has not learned how to play any defense. They appeared to actually be worse than normal. Just not a very sound football team overall.

Port Clinton is down a bit due to the natural ebb and flow of talent. Pretty young team with not a lot of depth. They’ll certainly be a step up from Bowsher and Woodward for Oak Harbor. They won’t be a team you can gauge Oak Harbor’s maximum potential with however.

I got a chance to see Oak Harbor scrimmage BG. I’m not sure if they are as good as they were a few years ago. They are however very good and are definitely a regional title contender in R18.

Stahhp, you cannot be serious when you say that northwood's qb1 would be lucky to play football in college. kid has arm talent but rarely gets to show it off in northwood's 1970's offense. Once they bring the fun and gun to ken james stadium, you'll see what i know. Rangers put up close to 50 on the flyers.
Well…

Eastwood has looked pretty good these first 2 weeks. Getting athletes in space. Some solid receiving and good defense. Totally different look. Looking forward to some of the big matchups with Genoa and Oak Habor!!

Last edited:
Wow! Week 2 prove us anything?

Eastwood 42 Elmwood 7
Woodward 0 Oak Harbor 44
Port Clinton 52 Rossford 21
Northwood 0 Lake 33
Bowsher 6 Genoa 42
Maumee 35 Bryan 42
Fostoria 28 BG 51
Otsego 19 Tinora 27

My take aways. Eastwood beats up a very down Elmwood team. OH still needs competition to give us a look but they take care of business lime they should. Rossford is who they've always been. Lake puts up points against some D1 and D2 talent... Impressive? Genoa offense thrives but is Bowsher any good? Maumee puts up a great fight against a pretty decent Bryan team. Were we all wrong on Maumee this year? Fostoria is who we thought they were. What's goin on at Otsego? Is the brutal 3 game OOC too much? Can they still compete for the league title?

Thoughts?
Personally most games went as expected after seeing the results of week 1. A little shocked at how Otsego has started the year and it won’t get much easier for them next week. Eastwood beat up on a struggling Elmwood but overall I think it went as expected. Good to see Lake get a win even though Northwood is pretty bad. From what i’m hearing they seem to be pretty improved

Week 3..

Otsego @ Liberty Center
Delta @ Lake
Evergreen @ Rossford
Port Clinton @ Oak Harbor
Fostoria @ Hopewell Loudon
Wauseon @ Eastwood
Maumee @ Bowsher

-Otsego’s woes continue…35-7
-Lake gets their second win, 28-14
-Rossford in a close one. 35-28
- Oak Harbor gets their first test and wins 28-21
- Fostoria will struggle in this one and Hopewell will win 42-14
— Eastwood keeps rolling…for now. 35-21
- Maumee rolls Bowsher 42-14

Eastwood 2-0
Oak Harbor 2-0
Genoa 1-1
Fostoria 1-1
Lake 1-1
Maumee 1-1
Rossford 1-1
Otsego 0-2

Just what we all thought!

Will be interesting to see Eastwood throughout the year. 2-0 but Elmwood is obviously nowhere close to the team from a year ago and O-G is off to another 0-2 start. Not sure we get a real gauge on them until possibly a Lake/Maumee/Otsego matchup midseason (and those 3 teams are all very questionable still). Jury could be out on Eastwood until weeks 9/10 with Oak Harbor and Genoa.

Oak Harbor I think paints a clear picture for us these next 2 weeks with PC and Maumee. Still think they are the team to beat in the NBC.

Genoa has a huge one this week with Huron. Last year Huron won in a shootout. I am thinking Genoa pulls it out this year.

Fostoria seems improved but has an unfortunate next 5 weeks (Hopewell, Genoa, Otsego, Oak Harbor, & Eastwood) that will likely induce 5 losses.

Lake already has more points in the first 2 weeks of the year than they did in all of weeks 6-10 last year. That is encouraging. Kicking themselves for letting one slip their hands week 1 against Leipsic. I think they beat Delta next week and setup an interesting week 4 matchup with Eastwood.

Maumee gets to 2-1 next week beating Bowsher then setups a big week 4 matchup with Oak Harbor. Panthers are quickly showing that they will be a very solid team in the NBC.

Rossford…back to old Rossford. Gave up 52 points to Port Clinton. Have the chance to right the ship next against Evergreen before a brutal three week stretch with Otsego/Oak Harbor/Eastwood.

Otsego has had some tough luck. And it doesn’t get any easier next week at Liberty Center. Unfortunately I think the Knights will be 2-6 heading into their week 9 game with Lake. Tough season but that’s what happens when you go 0-3 in non-conference games.

Looking at this week. My prediction is the league goes 4-4. With a possibility of going 5-3 if Rossford can beat Evergreen. Depends on which Evergreen team they get, Week 1 or week 2. Have some interesting matchups that will be good measuring sticks for the final week of non conf games.

Looking at this week. My prediction is the league goes 4-4. With a possibility of going 5-3 if Rossford can beat Evergreen. Depends on which Evergreen team they get, Week 1 or week 2. Have some interesting matchups that will be good measuring sticks for the final week of non conf games.
Is it possible Evergreen was the same team both weeks but Elmwood is just that much worse than Ottawa Hills this year? That’s my guess.

Maumee is the only sure thing to win in my opinion this week because they play Bowsher. I think Oak Harbor, Genoa and Lake are all likely to win vs teams they slightly or maybe heavily overmatch. Rossford and Eastwood have toss-up games to me, both interesting matchups. Fostoria and Otsego are heavy underdogs, would be shocking to see them win. So I would agree 5-3 or 4-4 seems right but 6-2 would be great.

Is it possible Evergreen was the same team both weeks but Elmwood is just that much worse than Ottawa Hills this year? That’s my guess.

Maumee is the only sure thing to win in my opinion this week because they play Bowsher. I think Oak Harbor, Genoa and Lake are all likely to win vs teams they slightly or maybe heavily overmatch. Rossford and Eastwood have toss-up games to me, both interesting matchups. Fostoria and Otsego are heavy underdogs, would be shocking to see them win. So I would agree 5-3 or 4-4 seems right but 6-2 would be great.
I personally think Eastwood wins by 2 scores.

Otsego @ Liberty Center - Otsego will put a good fight, LC is too much
Delta @ Lake - things are going in the right direction for the Flyers, like them by 10
Evergreen @ Rossford - Rossford in a close one at home before they head on the road to face 0-3 Otsego
Port Clinton @ Oak Harbor - OH is the better team, like them by double digits
Fostoria @ Hopewell Loudon - Fostoria is better than years past, HL still rolls
Wauseon @ Eastwood - This might be Eastwoods first real test. Eagles by 3 at home
Maumee @ Bowsher - Bowsher is not good. Maumee is 2-1 heading into conference play

I think Elmwood is baaaaaad. I think Eastwood is pretty good, but neither of their wins really tell me much. OG is 0-2 again with a bad loss to Kenton last week, so I'm not sure how good Eastwood's 2 point victory against them is. Although, I still am not sure what we really find out from a game vs Wauseon this week. I think Eastwood rolls.

Maumee should run past Bowser, like you said. Hats off to the savvy AD's scheduling bad city league teams at the beginning of the year. That's a serious comment. Playoff points and meaningful minutes at a low risk. Can't hate that.

Oak Harbor v Port Clinton is a good match up, but I see Oak Harbor rolling. Port Clinton is a solid team that has put up some points but I think OH is a region final type team.

Genoa v Huron is matchup of the week for me. I think this will be a tight game and Huron is a great place to catch a game.

I think Delta handles Lake, but Lake has proven me wrong both games this season so what do I know?

Rossford is another team that's hard to get a read on. I think they beat Evergreen, who beat up on Elmwood. It's a combination of me thinking Elmwood is really bad and having a hard time believing DIII Rossford doesn't have enough athletes to get by Evergreen.

Both Otsego losses this season came down to the wire. Their offense looks to be much improved. However, their defense can't seem to get stops. I could see another close game, but I think Liberty Center plays really good defense and wears down Otsego's defense to throw a few scores on late.

Fostoria is still Fostoria. At least the won't go 0-10 this year.

I think Elmwood is baaaaaad. I think Eastwood is pretty good, but neither of their wins really tell me much. OG is 0-2 again with a bad loss to Kenton last week, so I'm not sure how good Eastwood's 2 point victory against them is. Although, I still am not sure what we really find out from a game vs Wauseon this week. I think Eastwood rolls.

I think Delta handles Lake, but Lake has proven me wrong both games this season so what do I know?

Wauseon beat Fairview by 37 and Delta had to hold on for a 3 point win.

If anything, this week will give us an idea of close Eastwood and Lake are.

If Lake beats Delta by a fair amount and Wauseon/Eastwood is close I think it would be safe to assume that Eastwood and Lake could be closer to each other than many think. I know the "who beat who by how much game" isn't always accurate or a great measuring tool - but I think you can get a better idea at least.

Wauseon beat Fairview by 37 and Delta had to hold on for a 3 point win.

If anything, this week will give us an idea of close Eastwood and Lake are.

If Lake beats Delta by a fair amount and Wauseon/Eastwood is close I think it would be safe to assume that Eastwood and Lake could be closer to each other than many think. I know the "who beat who by how much game" isn't always accurate or a great measuring tool - but I think you can get a better idea at least.
Spot on. I think we find out something about OH, Eastwood and Lake this week

I think a team that can grind it out and play physical has an advantage. The Flyers strength in numbers is on the outside IMO. I’d be lying if I said I knew anything about Delta, but if history serves me correct they’re going to be physical. The team that controls the LOS and takes care of the ball will win.

WEEK 3 PREDICTIONS

Otsego @ LC - This game will show how good this Otsego team is. I don’t think they’ll win anyway, going 0-3 in non-conference games but it can show us how tough they are. In my opinion, I don’t think they’re very good this year. Tigers roll 42-16

Evergreen @ Rossford - No one has any idea how good Evergreen is with a healthy QB. Is their offensive explosive when healthy or is Elmwood just very very bad? All we know for certain is Rossford’s defense is as soft as Charmin. I think this all depends on if Evergreen’s QB plays. If he does, Evergreen wins 28-21. If not, Rossford rolls 35-7

Port Clinton @ Oak Harbor - By far the game of the week. Probably the best game of the NBC. Both these teams are pretty equal on my mind, but I like the home field advantage on this one. Oak Harbor wins 27-22

Maumee @ Bowsher - Not gonna be close. Bowsher is the second worst team in the Toledo Area, and Maumee has some anger to take out after last week’s loss. Maumee puts a beating on Bowsher 56-7

Delta @ Lake - Lake has been on fire and Delta is a dying flame. I think that it won’t be a running clock but it won’t be close. Lake wins 28-10

Wauseon @ Eastwood - I think this one’s a close low scoring affair. More than likely this will be our first real look at what Eastwood looks like vs an above average opponent. I believe Eastwood hangs on to win 20-14

Genoa @ Huron - Arguably the second best game of the all the NBC this year. Genoa travels to the Tigers of Huron. Last year Huron won a close one 28-25 and this year, I expect a similar result. Huron takes it 28-14.

Fostoria @ Hopewell-Loudon - Fostoria has looked improved so far this season, but I don’t think they walk away with a win but will look strong going into conference play. HL wins 38-21

WEEK 3 PREDICTIONS

Otsego @ LC - This game will show how good this Otsego team is. I don’t think they’ll win anyway, going 0-3 in non-conference games but it can show us how tough they are. In my opinion, I don’t think they’re very good this year. Tigers roll 42-16

Evergreen @ Rossford - No one has any idea how good Evergreen is with a healthy QB. Is their offensive explosive when healthy or is Elmwood just very very bad? All we know for certain is Rossford’s defense is as soft as Charmin. I think this all depends on if Evergreen’s QB plays. If he does, Evergreen wins 28-21. If not, Rossford rolls 35-7

Port Clinton @ Oak Harbor - By far the game of the week. Probably the best game of the NBC. Both these teams are pretty equal on my mind, but I like the home field advantage on this one. Oak Harbor wins 27-22

Maumee @ Bowsher - Not gonna be close. Bowsher is the second worst team in the Toledo Area, and Maumee has some anger to take out after last week’s loss. Maumee puts a beating on Bowsher 56-7

Delta @ Lake - Lake has been on fire and Delta is a dying flame. I think that it won’t be a running clock but it won’t be close. Lake wins 28-10

Wauseon @ Eastwood - I think this one’s a close low scoring affair. More than likely this will be our first real look at what Eastwood looks like vs an above average opponent. I believe Eastwood hangs on to win 20-14

Genoa @ Huron - Arguably the second best game of the all the NBC this year. Genoa travels to the Tigers of Huron. Last year Huron won a close one 28-25 and this year, I expect a similar result. Huron takes it 28-14.

Fostoria @ Hopewell-Loudon - Fostoria has looked improved so far this season, but I don’t think they walk away with a win but will look strong going into conference play. HL wins 38-21

I will be very surprised if PC and Oak Harbor are “equal”.

It’s funny when I said Otsego wasn’t going to be good people said I was wrong. Hmm wonder who knew something. Lindke will always try finding a “better” job and moving up. He is a fraud.

WEEK 3 PREDICTIONS

I agree with most of these but Hopewell and Fostoria won’t be close.

It’s funny when I said Otsego wasn’t going to be good people said I was wrong. Hmm wonder who knew something. Lindke will always try finding a “better” job and moving up. He is a fraud.
I’m personally holding off on my opinion of them. Doesn’t look promising for them this Friday but they only gave up 9 points LC last season, but were shutout. Anything can happen.

If they can stay the course, week 4 and 5 can rebound against Rossford and Fostoria before hosting Genoa. I don’t think they’re dead yet

atta boy though through 2 weeks. Revisit later, might be a little different feel.

I’m personally holding off on my opinion of them. Doesn’t look promising for them this Friday but they only gave up 9 points LC last season, but were shutout. Anything can happen.

If they can stay the course, week 4 and 5 can rebound against Rossford and Fostoria before hosting Genoa. I don’t think they’re dead yet

atta boy though through 2 weeks. Revisit later, might be a little different feel.
Id have to agree. Although, being a team that returns so much you would think things would be different. What would the issue be? Other teams get better too but is there a lack of development at Otsego?

Eastwood in year 1 of new system seems to be doing ok so far. This week we'll know what they're made of. Lake is also putting up points year 1 of a new system.

Id have to agree. Although, being a team that returns so much you would think things would be different. What would the issue be? Other teams get better too but is there a lack of development at Otsego?

Eastwood in year 1 of new system seems to be doing ok so far. This week we'll know what they're made of. Lake is also putting up points year 1 of a new system.
Issue is strength of opposition. Eastwood and Lake put up points on bad teams week 2. Otsego would be 2-0 more than likely if they played Eastwoods or Lakes schedule in my opinion. They’ve scored 50 points through 2 weeks. Problem is they faced probably the best RB room they’ll see all year in week 1 in BG and had a returning playoff team to play week 2 in Tinora who’s no slouch.

It's one thing to namelessly critique play on an online forum, but to go throwing out insults, man. Fraud is a pretty big claim. I'd love to hear how Lindke hurt you. It's going to be okay. Jokes aside, I'd love to hear your reasoning on why he's a fraud. He left a program where he would have walked away with a state championship last year to come to little ole Otsego. If you're a community member, it sounds as though you haven't provided much help as you're probably echoing these statements out in the community rather than trying to help support the football program. Maybe it's folks like yourself that are fraudulent.

That said, it is looking rough for Otsego this year. Coaching can always be better no matter where you are, but I feel the 0-2 start is more a product of their out of conference schedule. I was surprised this year when I noticed the change. The problem will potentially be compounded by the new additions to the league this year as well. I think this same team playing last years schedule is going into LC this week 2-0. However, BG and Tinora are a huge upgrade over Wynford and Van Buren. The league itself lost two perennial bottom dwellers. Sure, Elmwood had success the last few years with a very good class. This year, they aren't that. Woodmore was terrible. So looking at a schedule with Wynford, Van Buren, Elmwood, and Woodmore along with Fostoria instantly gets Otsego to 5 wins. That would leave battles with Rossford and potentially Genoa. You're pretty easily looking at a 6 or 7 win season with that schedule.

The league has changed and gotten a lot tougher. Maumee is instantly leaps and bounds better than Woodmore and probably better than Elmwood this year. Oak Harbor comes in an is instantly the class of the league along with Eastwood. Any of the DV teams that get in to the playoffs from the NBC are going to be a tough draw, no matter the record this year. If Otsego figures out how to stop people and gets hot, they could finish 6-4. If they can't hold it together and let things unravel, the could finish 2-8. Looking at Maumee, they seem to be getting better each week and have solid young players. They're not going to be at the very bottom of the league this year. Still thinking around 4-6 or 3-7. Maumee could battle Rossford and Otsego, which would be awesome for their future.

With Elmwood and Woodmore gone, someone has to take their place. It might be Otsego. Solid football programs are the product of the whole community and/or school district, not just the head football coach. If Otsego (or any other district) doesn't want to be the replacement at the bottom, they need to look within and evaluate how important it is that they win games and then what they're doing to support that (offseason, boosters, weight room, community involvement, lifting kids playing multiple sports, recruiting their hallways, etc...).

I kind of got off on a tangent there, but please, explain why you think so low of Lindke. I'm genuinely interested if there's something going on over at Otsego that isn't common knowledge. I'm interested to see the outcome of the Otsego/LC game but I think I'm probably going to head to Oak Harbor vs Port Clinton or Genoa vs Huron this week instead. Side note, Huron is a great place to watch a game if anyone is thinking about who they want to watch this week.