2023 Northern Buckeye Conference

Who wins the 2023 Northern Buckeye Conference?

• Eastwood

Votes: 11 21.2%
  • Fostoria

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Genoa

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • Lake

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maumee

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Oak Harbor

Votes: 27 51.9%
  • Otsego

Votes: 6 11.5%
  • Rossford

Votes: 1 1.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
45-14 Liberty Center over Oak Harbor.

Liberty Center did something no team has seen this far: throwing the football. Play action killed the Rockets defense tonight. They finish 12-1 on the season, and end the NBC’s playoff teams.

Great season from Oak Harbor, and no doubt they’ll be heavy NBC favorites next year and likely 10-0 again.

With this loss, the NBC’s football season is over and won’t return for 286 days. So, why don’t we discuss the some things. For Example:

Best QB: Aiden Brunkhorst
Best HC: Mike May
Best Game: Maumee @ Rossford
Brightest Future: Maumee
Hot Seat: Derek Kidwell
a. Lots of teams have seen opponents throw the football. What did you mean to say?

b. League game of the year determined 5th & 6th place? OK.

c. Kidwell is not on the hotseat.

a. Lots of teams have seen opponents throw the football. What did you mean to say?

I love posters thinking DV football has good coaches just lined up to take over bad programs.

I think he meant LC threw the ball which nobody had really been able to force them to do, but I’m guessing.

Maumee vs Rossford was probably the most competitive and entertaining game of the year not necessarily the most important. Oak Harbor didn’t have a close game all year and Eastwood vs Genoa was ok. Maumee vs Otsego or Rossford vs Lake may have been the next “best” game.

I agree, Kidwell isn’t on the hot seat but I wonder how things are at rossford

I think he meant LC threw the ball which nobody had really been able to force them to do, but I’m guessing.

Maumee vs Rossford was probably the most competitive and entertaining game of the year not necessarily the most important. Oak Harbor didn’t have a close game all year and Eastwood vs Genoa was ok. Maumee vs Otsego or Rossford vs Lake may have been the next “best” game.

I agree, Kidwell isn’t on the hot seat but I wonder how things are at rossford
Maumee was so fun to watch because you never knew what would happen. Otsego gave off that vibe as well.

How much interest do we think this will draw?

Little, but they have some good coaches on staff.
New school coming as the levy passed. How much of that is actually dedicated to athletics/athletics facilities?
Football? Zero, but there are plans to greatly expand the weightroom and I think there is private money to build a new fieldhouse.

Caveat: I only know what I'm told.

Who do you guys think have the tougher league NBC or NWOAL? Have real solid teams in both but yes I got told about this website from a friend and I live near Eastwood area and just like to watch games every other week I switch because I love watching both leagues
This year the NWOAL was better than the NBC and TBH it is not even really close.

They have 2 teams in the state final 4 and LC put a running clock on Napoleon who pushed for a NLL lower division title. The NWOAL also dominated the NBC in head to head match-ups.

Archbold 24 Genoa 14
Delta 38 Lake 28
Wauseon 14 Eastwood 7
Liberty Center 45 Otsego 0
Bryan 42 Maumee 35
Evergreen 32 Rossford 6

Last edited:
Little, but they have some good coaches on staff.

Football? Zero, but there are plans to greatly expand the weightroom and I think there is private money to build a new fieldhouse.

Caveat: I only know what I'm told.
I think there will big interest in this job and none of their asst will be the next coach. Bg staff wasn't very good and with levy pass I think they'll get a big name.

I think there will big interest in this job and none of their asst will be the next coach. Bg staff wasn't very good and with levy pass I think they'll get a big name.
If a field house goes thru and expansions/new weightroom is added. I agree, a bigger name or coordinator from somewhere might want a shot at it.

BG is the second smallest school in an 11-team league and will not have a new school or weightroom for 4-5 years.

"Big names," sure.
I agree. In terms of football only, it’s a decent job - not sure it draws a “big name” though. Big names come with big football programs, I don’t think that is BG. But the actual school and admin is a mess. Hard to draw a head coach who wants to go teach there as well and have his salary cut significantly and work in a bad union.

Who do you guys think have the tougher league NBC or NWOAL? Have real solid teams in both but yes I got told about this website from a friend and I live near Eastwood area and just like to watch games every other week I switch because I love watching both leagues
The NWOAL is a much better conference in nearly every sport. The NBC is weak

By far the NWOAL. This year was a down year for the NBC and the NWOAL and we went 0-7 against them. Swanton is god awful, Evergreen and Delta are mediocre, Bryan had and will always have some good athletes, but then the top 4 are just insanely good year after year. I personally believe there should be an NBC vs NWOAL challenge, similar to the ones college basketball has at the beginning of the season.

Oak Harbor vs Liberty Center
Genoa vs Patrick Henry
Eastwood vs Archbold
Otsego vs Bryan
Maumee vs Wauseon
Fostoria vs Evergreen
Lake vs Swanton
Rossford vs Delta

yes and yes
BG is easily the most toxic community in the NLL. They want to be Perrysburg, Whitehouse/Waterville, Sylvania so bad it's laughable. Look at the nutcase they used to have as superintendent & all the drama constantly around the district. If anything they could use a guy like Kidwell to whip them into shape

BG is easily the most toxic community in the NLL. They want to be Perrysburg, Whitehouse/Waterville, Sylvania so bad it's laughable. Look at the nutcase they used to have as superintendent & all the drama constantly around the district. If anything they could use a guy like Kidwell to whip them into shape
Depends what you considering being whipped into shape. Fostoria was a once proud program coming off of the Micah Hyde years with some momentum when he took over. While I'm sure there are a lot of roadblocks at Fostoria, it also seems he doesn't connect to the kids based on their often low numbers. I'm guessing there are a good amount of athletes walking the halls. That said, Kidwell is good at finding matchups. He might be successful at a place that is all in on winning. Is BG that place?

Depends what you considering being whipped into shape. Fostoria was a once proud program coming off of the Micah Hyde years with some momentum when he took over. While I'm sure there are a lot of roadblocks at Fostoria, it also seems he doesn't connect to the kids based on their often low numbers. I'm guessing there are a good amount of athletes walking the halls. That said, Kidwell is good at finding matchups. He might be successful at a place that is all in on winning. Is BG that place?
There was an article where he openly talked about that. He discussed that the amount of kids from broken homes is staggering & that many do not want or care to put the work in that Fostoria football was known for years ago. A lot that talent is not walking the halls either, they're pretty competitive at the middle school level in the NBC but quite a few athletes transfer out after to places like Hopewell.

There was an article where he openly talked about that. He discussed that the amount of kids from broken homes is staggering & that many do not want or care to put the work in that Fostoria football was known for years ago. A lot that talent is not walking the halls either, they're pretty competitive at the middle school level in the NBC but quite a few athletes transfer out after to places like Hopewell.
A program doesn't start in 9th grade. He is responsible for connecting his middle school and high school program so that they flow. It seems that is where the disconnect is. Easier said than done, I know. It takes a whole community.

A program doesn't start in 9th grade. He is responsible for connecting his middle school and high school program so that they flow. It seems that is where the disconnect is. Easier said than done, I know. It takes a whole community.
CB numbers are higher than usual for Arcadia & Hopewell Loudon. I don't know any coach who can fix a whole town