2023 MLB General Chat

IMG_0317.jpeg

ah yeah. collect a $10 bonus bet on DK = gambling through credit to the tune of over four million dollars.

this man is going straight to prison!

I’m guessing there’s a 23% chance Ohtani has a Michael Jordan like gambling addiction and had his translator take the fall
Shohei’s girlfriend is a top basketball player in the Japanese women league. My guess is she probably has pretty strong opinions against gambling.

I bring this up because if his girl knew he was personally gambling, this story probably unravels earlier as a reporting piece covering a breakup b/w them. The Japan-America beat would’ve dug deep.

Only guess relating to “does he gamble” if his girl is oblivious to it. I guess it’s possible if she herself does not have an accurate idea of USD, how much cash he has on hand, how his contract works etc. And nothing occurs to her as to why Shohei all the sudden is deeply vested in Serie A soccer.

edit: whoops I forgot they’re actually married.

Maybe it’s possible she does not have an accurate idea of how to divorce a rich man who is getting paid in USD.

Last edited:
Shohei’s girlfriend is a top basketball player in the Japanese women league. My guess is she probably has pretty strong opinions against gambling.

I bring this up because if his girl knew he was personally gambling, this story probably unravels earlier as a reporting piece covering a breakup b/w them. The Japan-America beat would’ve dug deep.

Only guess relating to “does he gamble” if his girl is oblivious to it. I guess it’s possible if she herself does not have an accurate idea of USD, how much cash he has on hand, how his contract works etc. And nothing occurs to her as to why Shohei all the sudden is deeply vested in Serie A soccer.

Maybe it’s possible she does not have an accurate idea of how to divorce a rich man who is getting paid in USD.
Why would his wife give a damn if he gambles?

What the hell are you talking about?

Anyone have a surprise contender pick? Anyone seeing a losing team being a strong contender this season? There always seems to be a couple of them every season. One from the AL? One from the NL?

Not many good AL choices, so I’ll make a homer pick of the Guardians, mainly because their division blows. For the NL, I think the Pirates finally get over the hump, again helped by a crappy division.

Anyone have a surprise contender pick? Anyone seeing a losing team being a strong contender this season? There always seems to be a couple of them every season. One from the AL? One from the NL?

Not many good AL choices, so I’ll make a homer pick of the Guardians, mainly because their division blows. For the NL, I think the Pirates finally get over the hump, again helped by a crappy division.
Guardians or Tigers could take the AL Central if the Twins’ limited depth falls apart. In the NL, if the Giants could just get into the playoffs, they could do some damage if the Webb/Snell/Harrison/Hicks/Cobb rotation stays mostly healthy, with Robbie Ray eventually joining this summer.

Did the interpreter manage Ohtani's money? If yes, innocence is plausible. If he didn't, then this makes zero sense

Did the interpreter manage Ohtani's money? If yes, innocence is plausible. If he didn't, then this makes zero sense
Agreed - how does someone get enough access to do wire transfers from someone else's account?

A) Ohtani really trusted the guy and gave him free reign over all his stuff, no questions asked.
B) Ohtani knew what was going on and gave permission.
C) Interpreter committed a felony, or several felonies, fraud, hacking the account and sending money overseas.

I have a hard time believing Ohtani is stupid/naive enough for (A) to be true. If we believe what Ohtani is saying now, it has to be (C). Then why isn't the interpreter in jail?

It almost has to be (B), and I would not be surprised if they were Ohtani's bets.