2023 MLB General Chat

Agreed.

Also, we don’t need someone wearing a mic in the field every inning. Soto really should have caught that double the dude hit off Diaz, but he was chatting with the announce crew. Fox Sports sucks almost as badly as Fox News.
If something bad happens during a game because someone is distracted by talking to the announcers, and more importantly people lose money gambling on it, then it will end. I agree, it's insane. As a player I would simply decline it. Talk to me in the dugout between innings, fine. These TV networks just keep pushing and pushing and pushing and because they pay millions of dollars, these pro sports leagues don't have the spine to say no.

Have them wear the money-grubbing jerseys at Home Run Derby and the pregame batting practice. Wear the regular team uniforms for the game itself.
My guess is Nike wouldn't go for that. It's the whole idea with the silly City Connect jerseys. It's all about selling merchandise.

One thing that really stuck out to me as I watched the all star game....whites and black are the minorities in baseball. Latin player DOMINATE baseball, and it's not stopping anytime soon.
Could this somehow be the underlying reason for baseball's struggles to gain fans? There has been Latin players in baseball for decades, but it seems like now there are more than ever.

One thing that really stuck out to me as I watched the all star game....whites and black are the minorities in baseball. Latin player DOMINATE baseball, and it's not stopping anytime soon.
Could this somehow be the underlying reason for baseball's struggles to gain fans? There has been Latin players in baseball for decades, but it seems like now there are more than ever.
It would help if you could watch your local major league baseball team on tv if you stream vs cable.

It would help if you could watch your local major league baseball team on tv if you stream vs cable.
This is the old chicken/ egg argument. Enough people left or didn't watch baseball that it's not profitable for some teams. Also, many people below 30 do not "watch" baseball. They may follow on their phones but to actually watch the game, no. Actually alot of people consume sports that way. See highlights on social media but to actually view a game does not happen anymore.

Television baseball is in trouble. There just isn't enough of us die hards who will watch no matter what. The young demographic does not watch games, they'll follow on the their phones but will not watch the games unless they are at the ballpark.
Then Fox does all the in game interview crap trying to bring in new fans and it alienates current fans. It's kind of a mess.

Television baseball is in trouble. There just isn't enough of us die hards who will watch no matter what. The young demographic does not watch games, they'll follow on the their phones but will not watch the games unless they are at the ballpark.
Then Fox does all the in game interview crap trying to bring in new fans and it alienates current fans. It's kind of a mess.
I would not judge TV ratings based on the AS game. It's not that compelling to watch. In general attendance and TV ratings are better this year over last.

I would not judge TV ratings based on the AS game. It's not that compelling to watch. In general attendance and TV ratings are better this year over last.
You are correct, I'm not doing that. I'm just saying with all the issues with Bally Sports and the Reds and Guardians, it's not lucrative to broadcast baseball, at least not to the level they want. I think there is a market for local baseball on TV, but how's it going to look? Just a few years ago, Fox Sports Ohio ran the Guardians/ Reds games. Bally Sports bought them out hoping to make a bigger splash and streaming blew it up for them. Is enough people, young and old, willing to specifically pay for their favorite baseball team? It's the old pay per view model, hoping enough people will specifically pay for your service. I'm saying most will not- UNLESS they absolutely have to.

Is .280 the new .320 (or maybe .300) for batting ave standard in the major leagues now?
Noticed that when they flash the stats on the screen during games. The guy from the Marlins is batting .365, a couple others in the .300s and the bottom 4 in the .280s. Interesting.

They do. And they have a reputation for being notoriously slow getting people into the park. I don’t know how anyone could’ve gotten a gun in there.

You really don't want to know.

On Tuesday, ESPN Chicago reporter Peggy Kusinski said that the gun was snuck into the stadium by one of the women who was hit. The shooting was "an accidental discharge" by the woman whose injury was previously identified as "a graze wound."

"She reportedly snuck the gun in past metal detectors hiding it in the folds of her belly fat," Kusinski said in a post on X.

You really don't want to know.

On Tuesday, ESPN Chicago reporter Peggy Kusinski said that the gun was snuck into the stadium by one of the women who was hit. The shooting was "an accidental discharge" by the woman whose injury was previously identified as "a graze wound."

"She reportedly snuck the gun in past metal detectors hiding it in the folds of her belly fat," Kusinski said in a post on X.

Oh dear god. Thanks for sharing, I guess?

I don’t understand why Ohtani decided to keep playing after the UCL injury. Just go get the surgery done ASAP so you’re ready to hit as early as possible next season. I don’t see any way he stays with the trainwreck that is the Angels.

I don’t understand why Ohtani decided to keep playing after the UCL injury. Just go get the surgery done ASAP so you’re ready to hit as early as possible next season. I don’t see any way he stays with the trainwreck that is the Angels.
But it came only after a saga befitting the recent history of the club—messy, anticlimactic, something that might have been straightforward in other hands instead left to fester and complicate and sour.

They do. And they have a reputation for being notoriously slow getting people into the park. I don’t know how anyone could’ve gotten a gun in there.
The park is on the south side in a deplorable neighborhood. Bulldoze it and move it closer to downtown.

The park is on the south side in a deplorable neighborhood. Bulldoze it and move it closer to downtown.
The immediate Bridgeport neighborhood around the ballpark is pretty much fine. It’s not glamorous, but it’s not at all like the warranted reputation that much of the South and West Sides have garnered. I always considered the “safe” perimeters to be from the Dan Ryan Expressway to Halsted St. (east to west) and from 31st St. to Pershing (39th) (north to south).

That said, there is a lack of entertainment nearby. There are two small-ish bars on 33rd (Cork & Kerry and Turtles) and another on Pershing. Aside from that, you have to walk all the way to Halsted for more options. They did open an on-site restaurant and bar that connects to the stadium, but it’s very overpriced, I believe. One good aspect of GRF is that tailgating is allowed and commonplace.

The lease for Guaranteed Rate Field is up in six years. If they don’t renew, supposedly they are starting to explore three options:

1. Remaking Soldier Field into a baseball stadium if the Bears move to Arlington Heights. Getting to Soldier Field is a pain in the butt, as it’s not extremely close to an L stop like fans currently enjoy with the Sox-35th stop, and Lake Shore Drive traffic sucks. The backdrop to a stadium there would be amazing though.

2. Building a park near the United Center, west of downtown. To me, this would make better sense logistically than Soldier Field.

3. Moving to Arlington Heights in a mega sports complex with the Bears. This would be a disaster and would alienate a ton of South Side fans. The White Sox should never be 30 miles northwest of the city, IMO.

So, Adam Wainwright got his 200th win last night. They were discussing on MLB Network today how infrequently this is going to happen in the future.

As far as truly active pitchers go, only two of them who are younger than age 35 have more than 100 wins: Gerrit Cole and Chris Sale. The full list is linked above. I’m not including Madison Bumgarner because I don’t think he’s playing for anyone right now, and Stephen Strasburg has said he’s retiring.

Sale is damaged goods and won’t get close to 200, in all likelihood. Gerrit Cole probably needs four or five more successful seasons to get there. After Cole? It could be a loooong time before it happens again.

Hopefully Trevor Bauer will be back in MLB next year. I recommend watching his Twitter video.

He did a very job explaining what happened and it couldn't be more obvious that this was a planned money grab. He didn't give her a dime to "settle". Good for him.

Sooo, where has the Players Union been for the last two years? Did they have his back? Usually when players get blackballed the MLBPA is all over it. Seems like his suspension wasn't even slightly justified.