2023 Mid-State League

Damn; what a game, Berne. Game well-played defensively and pitching. At the end of the day that’s probably the best way to go out.

Were there some suspect calls?
If it’s in reference to the two plays at the plate in regulation;

First play at the plate one was a failed suicide squeeze. Kid from Russia didn’t get it down and catcher from BU got him clean. It was close but the correct call.

The second play at the plate, I think this was in the sixth (if not, 7th), is the one I know had some controversy ; er, very vocal disapproval from the peanut gallery. We were on the far edge of the press box that sits probably 15 degrees to the right of the left-handed batters’ box. I thought it was the correct call, that tag got down first. Partner thought the same thing. The line of booths further down the box was like a line of increasing disapproval (people next to us — great folks BTW! — politely disagreed, two booths down was saying it was a bad call; three booths down was empathically saying it was a bad call etc.) It was bang-bang, I was pretty sure catch got it down and the kid from Russia was out. (DISCLAIMER: I personally have no real partisanship or bias on either participant team.)

Is that what you were referring to?

Were there some suspect calls?
One thing I’m going to add to this, had Berne won something like 1-0 or 2-0 or whatever in seven innings (or just won in general),

the play at the plate in the sixth inning would’ve been frustrating for Russia and I can see where they’d be steamed (I still think he was out)… but… Russia stranded some absurdly high number of RISP through those seven innings. To a certain extent it’s just not capitalizing (which isn’t Russia-like) but it’s also a combination of ballsy pitching and out-of-this world defense effort by Berne to keep bricking the Raiders up. Past a point, when does it become “tip your cap” to the team making the plays?

If it’s in reference to the two plays at the plate in regulation;

First play at the plate one was a failed suicide squeeze. Kid from Russia didn’t get it down and catcher from BU got him clean. It was close but the correct call.

The second play at the plate, I think this was in the sixth (if not, 7th), is the one I know had some controversy ; er, very vocal disapproval from the peanut gallery. We were on the far edge of the press box that sits probably 15 degrees to the right of the left-handed batters’ box. I thought it was the correct call, that tag got down first. Partner thought the same thing. The line of booths further down the box was like a line of increasing disapproval (people next to us — great folks BTW! — politely disagreed, two booths down was saying it was a bad call; three booths down was empathically saying it was a bad call etc.) It was bang-bang, I was pretty sure catch got it down and the kid from Russia was out. (DISCLAIMER: I personally have no real partisanship or bias on either participant team.)

Is that what you were referring to?
There was some media really complaining, that’s why I asked.

Was gonna try to get some post-season’s conclusion (a little weird to call it “postseason talk”) discussion brewing, but someone had to play a Regional Semi on Thursday… so we’re backed up into summer season now.

Still can do that, but I figured I’d get some plugs in for what’s happening this summer.

The D3/D4 Central District ASG is this upcoming Tuesday at O. Liberty. Decent amount of Cardinal dudes playing. Team ‘4’ is more KMAC and various representations, while Team ‘3’ is more Cardinal & honorary Cardinal (NC.)

Legion Ball has some decent Cardinal representation. Nick Dolci is the lone Cardinal guy on Post 11’s Seniors team, but I know there’s some sizable FCA presence on the revived Post 283 of Pickerington.

The D3/D4 Central District ASG is this upcoming Tuesday at O. Liberty. Decent amount of Cardinal dudes playing. Team ‘4’ is more KMAC and various representations, while Team ‘3’ is more Cardinal & honorary Cardinal (NC.)
I believe it was

Team 4: 6
Team 3: 4

Great event to watch. KMAC pitching tandem helped carry the win; biggest inning for Team 3 was Dolci’s inning in relief but he dealt two K’s to help sustain Team 4’s lead. Andrew Keener got Team 3’s first run across with an RBI single; Matt made some nice plays and got all three outs in the 7th by himself playing 3rd base. Nate got an RBI (fielders’ choice or single? Can’t remember what the other out that inning came on) off Nick; Levacy pitched a scoreless inning and I think Holbrook had 2 K’s in his scoreless inning of relief.

Fun times. Nice to see ND beat BU, FCA, MP and NC in one fell swoop in his final time wearing the FC jersey.

Below is the Central District Division IV Team
district honors.jpg

These are the MSL Cardinal All League Teams. I do know that AJ Holbrook from FCA was second team, but was not listed in the program for the awards.
View attachment 42593View attachment 42594
Is this a scan of the program from the awards ceremony, or has the league moved its year-long chronicle of awards and standings into a software where the specific sports liaison inputs the information from the end-of-season meetings into the file — and this is just a digital copy that the AD’s have?

Is this a scan of the program from the awards ceremony, or has the league moved its year-long chronicle of awards and standings into a software where the specific sports liaison inputs the information from the end-of-season meetings into the file — and this is just a digital copy that the AD’s have.
They did not hand out physical copies at the awards ceremony. They gave a QR code to access the program that has all sports/ divisions online.

Boys’ Track and Girls’ Track

1. Fisher Catholic
2. Harvest Prep

Nice. I believe the first time since 2005-06 (boys’ basketball) that the league finish at the top in a given sport had FC finishing first and HP finishing second. Let’s hope girls’ basketball gets it done this upcoming winter.

(Also, shoutout the girls’ programs, T&F and baseball et al for getting FC over the line for the All Sports championship.)

Lancaster Post 11 9
Pickerington Post 283 2

So good to see the return of 283 in the Legion scene. Fairfield County is better when there’s two programs that Wear the Patch.

Some general updates in the summer pertinent to the previous season,

• Congrats to Nate Nemeth on being named the Eagle-Gazette’s Male Athlete of the Year. True competitor to the fullest the moment he put on the maroon and gold; a fantastic career across the three sports.

• Nick Dolci had a generally rare feat this weekend at the Beavers Field Classic: two ‘W’s on the hill, and both were complete games. Started Wednesday’s “Game 1” for Post 11 in a win over Pickerington, and SP’d the Championship versus Crawfordsville, IN. His high school teammate JJ Viau was also a finalist for the EG’s MAotY award.

• The Keener brothers have done well for Pick. Post 283. Key pieces. Good to see them spending the summer together as forefathers of the resurrected Pickerington legion team.

Have seen bits and pieces of dudes getting work in club summer ball. Good to see!