2023 HS Season

Took a look at Walnut’s schedule and they only have 17 matches scheduled. Not sure if their coach or AD schedules, but shorting those kids 5 regular season matches is sad. They have a conference to play in with Loveland, Milford, Lebanon and West Clermont so that’s 8 games taken care of for you; is it that hard to get 14 more on the schedule? Between this and not sending stats to state for All-State voting last year, they need to do more for the kids and to keep their program moving in the right direction. Definitely different than when Ober was there

Saw on the Elder forum that they lost to Beavercreek in 3 this morning. 25-14, 25-22, 25-17. Beavercreek has a very solid program and has for awhile now, but this loss with these scores is shocking to me given how tight the match last night with Moeller was.
I think Creek is the real deal. They return all state setter Collin Brown, who is the best in the area, two vanguard kids and Jones from Attack 17. Interested to see how the rest of the season plays out, but they are very good and will be tough to beat.

I think Creek is the real deal. They return all state setter Collin Brown, who is the best in the area, two vanguard kids and Jones from Attack 17. Interested to see how the rest of the season plays out, but they are very good and will be tough to beat.
Who's making up for losing Culpepper? Also how has their passing/defense been that was what their Achilles Heel was last year

Interesting, I don't really remember any kids that really jumped out last year. Seemed like Culpepper was a one man show last year.

Can’t count out a year of development and growth working its magic. Kids might’ve been working even harder after last season.
Looks like Beavercreek def Badin 3-2 tonight.
I will check Beavercreek out tomorrow @ Lakota West. Be curious how they compare to last season.

Was able to catch Beavercreek v West tonight.

Beavercreek def West 26-24, 25-18, 27-25. Beavercreek has their setter Brown and OH Kolaczkowski from last year, but they did not look as good as last season—and I saw them 3 times last season. West has a few OH, but struggled passing.

Not sure how Elder lost to Beavercreek 3-0, but I know Elder lost a lot from last season and they were coming off a Fri match with Moe. Right now, from what I’ve seen in person, Moe and St X and then a big gap in this part of the state.

Was able to catch Beavercreek v West tonight.

Beavercreek def West 26-24, 25-18, 27-25. Beavercreek has their setter Brown and OH Kolaczkowski from last year, but they did not look as good as last season—and I saw them 3 times last season. West has a few OH, but struggled passing.

Not sure how Elder lost to Beavercreek 3-0, but I know Elder lost a lot from last season and they were coming off a Fri match with Moe. Right now, from what I’ve seen in person, Moe and St X and then a big gap in this part of the state.
I feel like the hangover probably got to them.

Interesting you say "big gap" though after LaSalle (who got swept by Elder) hung tight with St X for a couple sets and Elder losing to Moe in 4 without their best hitter. Will be fun to see!

I feel like the hangover probably got to them.

Interesting you say "big gap" though after LaSalle (who got swept by Elder) hung tight with St X for a couple sets and Elder losing to Moe in 4 without their best hitter. Will be fun to see!
Hmm..I forgot about La Salle in D1 this season. Is that correct?

Perhaps that makes things interesting, come tournament time, along with the new state final format—although I’ve yet to see confirmation from OHSAA on it. I might have missed that as well.

Last edited:
Hmm..I forgot about La Salle in D1 this season. Is that correct?

Perhaps that makes things interesting, come tournament time, along with the new state final format—although I’ve yet to see confirmation from OHSAA on it. I might have missed that as well.
I’ve talked to coaches, that will be released in the next couple weeks. I heard they are doing 4 regions and may play with teams’ alignment to even things out.

As long as the clear two best teams don't have to meet for a regional final
Can we stop whining about this? We were spoiled for so long that we're losing sight of how these things actually work in literally every other sport. It's unfortunate that so many great teams come from the southwest, but having other teams make a state final will probably do good things to help grow the game. Look at the Final Four this year; do we think the 2 best teams are really gonna be playing the National Championship with either FAU or San Diego State making it? No, probably not.

Can we stop whining about this? We were spoiled for so long that we're losing sight of how these things actually work in literally every other sport. It's unfortunate that so many great teams come from the southwest, but having other teams make a state final will probably do good things to help grow the game. Look at the Final Four this year; do we think the 2 best teams are really gonna be playing the National Championship with either FAU or San Diego State making it? No, probably not.
Agreed. I also think that so many other teams are getting established middle school programs and getting so many guys playing club that in say 5-10 years the GCL will not be nearly as dominant.

Agreed. I also think that so many other teams are getting established middle school programs and getting so many guys playing club that in say 5-10 years the GCL will not be nearly as dominant.
I’d lean closer to that 10 year mark, but yeah, things will probably even out eventually. It’ll definitely be beneficial for public high schools to have direct pipelines. But the Elder’s, Moeller’s and X’s of the world will still get great players and likely still get their fair share of state titles. They just might be harder to come by in the future and that’s actually a really good thing

Agreed.

If you wanna win a state title, you'd have to beat that other team regardless, just in the regional final instead which arguably could make for a more exciting game (because more fans would be likely to go as it is nearby versus Columbus).

Centerville Elite Schedule Posted

#1 St X
#8 Centerville

#4 St Ignatius
#5 Hilliard Darby

#3 Elder
#6 Olentangy Liberty

#2 Moeller
#7 Walnut Hills

Predictions:

X in 3
Ignatius in 4
Liberty in 4
Moeller in 3

X in 3
Moeller in 5

Darby in 3
Elder in 4

1st Place: X over Moe in 5
3rd Place: Liberty over Ignatius in 5
5th Place: Elder over Darby in 3
7th Place: Walnut over Centerville in 4

Give me:

X in 3
Darby in 5
Elder in 4
Moeller in 4

X in 3
Moeller in 5

Ignatius in 3
Liberty in 4

1st place: X over Moeller in 4
3rd place: Elder over Darby in 4
5th place: Liberty over Ignatius in 3
7th place: Walnut over Centerville in 3

X in 3
Darby in 4
Elder in 4
Moeller in 3

X in 3
Moeller in 4

Ignatius in 4
Liberty in 5

X in 4
Elder in 4
Liberty in 5
Walnut in 4

Semi-final matchups

X vs Darby
Moeller vs Liberty

I know for a fact X, Moeller and Liberty all swept their opponents. Guessing Darby did as well based on the timing of X’s tweet.

In D2 news, #1 Desales sweeps #2 SVSM