2023 Bengals

Yes. O-line needs some work. And they need to shore up the run defense. Let a couple of no name guys gash em yesterday.

I wouldn’t call James Connor a no-name.

Cards came into the game with a top 5 rushing offense.

Overall they had 5 rushes of more than 6yds, 3 of which came on the same drive.

More than half of their rushing yards (142yds) came on two plays (76yds).

Defense definitely needs to clean up its tackling, but I also don’t want to ignore the 3 sacks and 3 forced turnovers. Only gave up 6 points in the second half.
Burrow referenced the New Orleans game from last season, but that one Sunday felt a lot like the game out in Vegas two seasons ago later in the year.

I wouldn’t call James Connor a no-name.

Cards came into the game with a top 5 rushing offense.

Overall they had 5 rushes of more than 6yds, 3 of which came on the same drive.

More than half of their rushing yards (142yds) came on two plays (76yds).
As you know Connor got injured in the 1st half, glad he is not playing for the stealers anymore. 4th qtr. Cards mostly threw the football, the run defense has been bad all season. However, if the offense can continue to put pts. on the board other teams will have to abandon the run and throw more.

This from Cincy Jungle talking about Volson: In pass-blocking, the North Dakota State product stands next-to-last in the league with an abysmal 17.0 score, ranking No. 59 out of 61 guards (PFF).

Bengals drafting of lineman has been abysmal, on the flip side it does appear Jonah Williams is a RT and not LT. What happens if one of the starters go down? Hopefully Mixon stays healthy no depth at running back. Bengals can win a lot of games but the depth on the offensive side of the football is not good other than receiver.

This from Cincy Jungle talking about Volson: In pass-blocking, the North Dakota State product stands next-to-last in the league with an abysmal 17.0 score, ranking No. 59 out of 61 guards (PFF).

Bengals drafting of lineman has been abysmal, on the flip side it does appear Jonah Williams is a RT and not LT. What happens if one of the starters go down? Hopefully Mixon stays healthy no depth at running back. Bengals can win a lot of games but the depth on the offensive side of the football is not good other than receiver.

I’d call the RB depth unproven rather than bad. We just don’t know about most of them.

Clearly he is not doing a good job, and I have no idea what "Cincy Jungle" is. But any "publication" stupid enough to put this sentence out there has zero credibility.

How can someone be "next-to-last in the league" but still rank higher than 2 other guards? I mean, the math is not hard...

Clearly he is not doing a good job, and I have no idea what "Cincy Jungle" is. But any "publication" stupid enough to put this sentence out there has zero credibility.

How can someone be "next-to-last in the league" but still rank higher than 2 other guards? I mean, the math is not hard...
Maybe 60 and 61 are tied for the worst score? That’s about all I can come up with.

Volson was a 4th round pick. To say that he should be lighting it up would be a stretch. That said, he did beat out Carmen a second round pick for his starting spot

Pass blocking was pretty good overall. Burrow was sacked 3 times, but one was on Burrow not making the hot read and the unblocked guy got him. Another on Volson. The last one I guess was on Karras but Burrow also should have thrown it away.

Tough to judge third down sacks for the Bengals as Burrow is on record saying he’d rather take a sack on third down, than give up on trying to get the first down.

Last edited:
Well I’ll be damned

Drew Sample currently ranks 1st in PFF Pass Blocking Grade (84.8) amongst all 104 graded tight ends in the NFL. #Bengals
I never had an issue with him being on the roster. And, even before this, wouldn’t have minded keeping him on a cheap deal. The issue with him was never his fault - the bengals way over drafted him. Good for him

Nice couple of stories about Burrow in Peter King’s Monday Morning QB article:

The Legend of Joe
I know why Joe Burrow, aside from his passing proficiency, is so well-liked and -respected by his teammates. We saw it Sunday in Cincinnati’s game against Seattle. Burrow threw a three-yard TD pass to rookie sixth-round pick Andrei Iosivas from Princeton in the second quarter, giving the Bengals a 14-7 lead; it turned out to be the winning touchdown in a 17-13 victory. In the excitement after the catch, Iosivas, a level-headed young guy on his 24th birthday, didn’t hang onto the ball, thinking there was a penalty on the play. There was not. In the midst of the celebration, Burrow ignored the excitement, went to the ballboy on the sideline, asked where the touchdown ball was, and fetched it from the end zone. With a wide grin, Burrow ran to Iosivas and handed it to him.
“Great play bro,” Burrow said to Mr. Princeton.
“Wow!” Iosivas said to Burrow. “Thanks for getting me the ball!”
“No problem.”
Imagine you’re Iosivas. You’re an Ivy League receiver, happy to be picked anywhere in the NFL draft, and you go to a place with three star wideouts and the highest-paid player in NFL history, Burrow, throwing to them. You make the team and in game six you catch your first TD pass—and the quarterback, one of the biggest stars in the game, goes foraging for the ball to make sure you get it. Now that’s cool.

“I saw it,” said Jimmy Burrow, the QB’s dad, who was at the game. “I was proud of Joe. It’s crazy he would think of that in a critical moment of the game. But he likes that kid and I’m sure he thought, ‘The kid should have the ball.’”
I asked the dad where that ultimate team thing came from.
“Good question,” Jimmy Burrow said. “He cares so much about his teammates. When there’s an opportunity to celebrate, with a rookie especially, he thinks it’s a priority, I guess. He understands it’s part of the culture of the Bengals, and part of his responsibility as a leader, to do things like that. I do think it’s a big deal.
“Something else happened today like that. We’ve got a new punter [rookie Brad Robbins], and his family came up to introduce themselves to me. They told me Joe came up to him in the locker room when he got there and asked, ‘What’s your name? Where are you from?’ The kid told him, and Joe said, ‘Good to meet you. I’m Joe.’
“That’s just Joe.”
As Iosivas said, “He’s a great teammate. He knows what it means to be the new guy, the late-round draft pick. He’s super-constructive, never toxic. When you mess up, he comes over and just tells you what to do, how to fix it. It’s incredible having him as my quarterback.”