2022 Volleyball

From the final OHSVCA poll, the following teams made it to State.

D1
URSULINE ACADEMY (CINCINNATI)
MAGNIFICAT (ROCKY RIVER)

ST URSULA ACADEMY (CINCINNATI)
MOUNT NOTRE DAME (CINCINNATI)
OLMSTED FALLS (OLMSTED FALLS)
SETON (CINCINNATI)
OLENTANGY LIBERTY (POWELL)

BISHOP WATTERSON (COLUMBUS)
ST JOSEPH ACADEMY (CLEVELAND)
ST URSULA ACADEMY (TOLEDO)
JACKSON (Massillon)
SYLVANIA NORTHVIEW (SYLVANIA)
KINGS (KINGS MILLS
)
PERRYSBURG
OLENTANGY ORANGE (LEWIS CENTER)
STEELE (AMHERST)
MEDINA (MEDINA)
AUSTINTOWN-FITCH
DUBLIN COFFMAN
GLENOAK (CANTON)

D2
BISHOP HARTLEY (COLUMBUS)
BADIN (HAMILTON)
MERCY MCAULEY (CINCINNATI)
LAKE (MILLBURY)

GILMOUR ACADEMY (GATES MILLS)
ROGER BACON (ST BERNARD)
NOTRE DAME-CATHEDRAL LATIN (CHARDON)
UNION LOCAL (BELMONT)

GIRARD
HIGHLAND (MARENGO)
LIBERTY-BENTON (FINDLAY)
CINCINNATI HILLS CHRISTIAN ACADEMY
VERMILION
NEW RICHMOND
CIRCLEVILLE
WYOMING (CINCINNATI)
TIPPECANOE (TIPP CITY)
CELINA
MARLINGTON (ALLIANCE)
ARCHBISHOP McNICHOLAS (CINCINNATI)
BLOOM-CARROLL
KENSTON (CHAGRIN FALLS)

D3
LAKE CATHOLIC (MENTOR)
HURON
VERSAILLES
COLDWATER

ADENA (FRANKFORT)
ST HENRY

MEADOWBROOK (BYESVILLE)
LAKEVIEW
PARKWAY (ROCKFORD)
CRESTVIEW (COLUMBIANA)
FAIRVIEW (SHERWOOD)
KIRTLAND
WHEELERSBURG
SOUTH WEBSTER
INDEPENDENCE
OTTAWA-GLANDORF
CARDINGTON-LINCOLN
GALION
MINERAL RIDGE
PREBLE SHAWNEE (CAMDEN)
FAIRBANKS (MILFORD CENTER)

D4
NEW BREMEN

MARION LOCAL (MARIA STEIN)
MOHAWK (SYCAMORE)
CALVERT (TIFFIN)
RUSSIA
HILAND (BERLIN)
FORT LORAMIE

NEWARK CATHOLIC
SHENANDOAH (SARAHSVILLE)
SENECA EAST (ATTICA)
WELLSVILLE
LEIPSIC
SHEKINAH CHRISTIAN (PLAIN CITY)

MONROEVILLE
JACKSON CENTER
CRESTVIEW (CONVOY)
NEWTON LOCAL (PLEASANT HILL)
HILLTOP (WEST UNITY)
FISHER CATHOLIC (LANCASTER)
MINSTER
CALDWELL

D1 and D2 each guaranteed (1) non-public in the championship match. Think D1 gets two into the final.

Last edited:
Some good banter, some follow up points to discuss:

• If the community aspect is a big driver in softball how do you account for no MAC teams ever winning a state title in softball? These schools are based in some of the tightest communities and run some of the best athletic programs in the state with incredible dynasties but have zilch in this sport? I am totally fascinated by how good these teams are in sport like football and volleyball which also are traditionally Catholic school focused sports in the heart of a heavily Catholic area, I think there is correlation that is tradition based.
  • For anyone that has been following the sport of volleyball it is really starting to trend for girls of color as an alternative to basketball, especially those in diverse suburban areas that can afford the $s needed for JO. One of the best young players in the country was the black girl from UC and when she went down during the Olympics the US team faltered. I have to think that in the near future diverse public suburban programs should start to see more success at the state level and it is only a matter of time until you see more of these teams competing for state titles like Brecksville did 5 years ago.
Softball is just not a popular sport in the MAC no other way to put it. Springtime most of the girl athletes either run track or playing (practicing) volleyball in some manner. Plenty of youth softball programs in the MAC starting at 5 - 6 years old but by jr. high most of the more athletic girls start to concentrate on vball and bball. Maybe the fact that the MAC does not have jr. high softball has something to do with it, but the MAC does not have jr. high baseball either and is fairly successful in baseball. On a sidenote when my youngest daughter was in 7th grade might have been 38 girls in her class 34 tried out for the volleyball team (Marion Local).

Last edited:
Girls Volleyball is the fastest growing sport in the country. It is growing like crazy and I don't see it stopping any time soon. You hit the nail on the head, it is a non contact sport and girls for the most part like it that way. FWIW it is by far the most exciting female sport to watch and it USAV added more divisions to the Club scene because of the growth in the sport. It might actually be the one sport in college where the women's game is more fun to watch than the men's game. For sure in high school the girls game is a lot more exciting. Just look at the NCAA women's tournament, the crowds are growing every year. The interest in the game is stealing a lot of girls from AAU basketball and we are starting to see more and more inter city based clubs. Not too mention women's volleyball is a global sport as well. Lot of momentum in place for the sport and I think the next big thing is going to be the growth of sand volleyball at the high school level.