2022 Scrimmage Results

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
Please post the results and any other information from the scrimmages this season in this thread...

If you're interested in how the high school season is going to start, the scrimmages can provide some insight. For example:

1. Glaser hasn't played for Upper Arlington yet. Not sure what's going on there.
2. Olentangy Orange has lost all 3 scrimmages so far. That's a real eye-opener.
3. Coffman has played 1 scrimmage. Not sure what they're waiting for.
4. Scioto has won all their scrimmages.
5. Jerome has won all their scrimmages.
6. A lot of big schools are playing small schools.

HS scrimmages are much different than MLB preseason. At least they should be. HS scrimmages are 4 games that don't count in the standings that give teams an opportunity to get the starters good reps and maybe decide playing time at a position between a couple of guys.

And then there are teams that roster bat and really waste the time by treating scrimmages like they're rec league baseball games. I always get a good laugh out of that.
Olentangy has won all their scrimmages
Olentangy Liberty has won all their scrimmages
Olentangy Berlin has won all their scrimmages

If you're interested in how the high school season is going to start, the scrimmages can provide some insight. For example:

1. Glaser hasn't played for Upper Arlington yet. Not sure what's going on there.
2. Olentangy Orange has lost all 3 scrimmages so far. That's a real eye-opener.
3. Coffman has played 1 scrimmage. Not sure what they're waiting for.
4. Scioto has won all their scrimmages.
5. Jerome has won all their scrimmages.
6. A lot of big schools are playing small schools.

HS scrimmages are much different than MLB preseason. At least they should be. HS scrimmages are 4 games that don't count in the standings that give teams an opportunity to get the starters good reps and maybe decide playing time at a position between a couple of guys.

And then there are teams that roster bat and really waste the time by treating scrimmages like they're rec league baseball games. I always get a good laugh out of that.
In defense of Orange, all their scrimmage loses have been by just a run or two with them playing a lot of people.

Reactions: WTD
what is the point of "scrimmage" results?
Agree, some coaches treat scrimmages as situations to see if certain kids can perform in different situations. Some treat it like a World Series for bragging rights. Scrimmages are to see new players perform and to get kids ready. I see one of the scrimmages listed above where the score doesn't show true results. One team pulled starters to see bench guys perform the other kept starters in for majority. So scrimmage results mean absolutely nothing!

Agree, some coaches treat scrimmages as situations to see if certain kids can perform in different situations. Some treat it like a World Series for bragging rights. Scrimmages are to see new players perform and to get kids ready. I see one of the scrimmages listed above where the score doesn't show true results. One team pulled starters to see bench guys perform the other kept starters in for majority. So scrimmage results mean absolutely nothing!
Completely agree. Scrimmages results are pointless, not the actual scrimmage, but just the results. Teams have players in different spots, situations, maybe throwing people they don't normally throw. Giving kids a chance. I love scrimmages, but posting the results and bragging about beating teams in them have no place in my mind.

what is the point of "scrimmage" results?
THIS. I roll my eyes at this post every year.

I umpired a scrimmage last night. We played the full 3 hours. Each team batted their roster including JV players, switching pitchers every 7-8 batters or so. There were times a ground out happened and the defensive coach said "put him back at second" to work on something or would put a runner back at third to work on a tag up. At one point, after a rundown that didn't work out, the home coach asked the other if they could run it again and the said sure thing. Heck, my partner asked to put a runner on first to work on his pickoff footwork and both coaches said absolutely not a problem.

This was between two powerhouse D1 teams from different conferences both making regional appearances in either 2019 or 2021.

30 total runs were scored. Did anyone "win?"

No, they didn't. If you count outs, we played 15 innings. That's not a game. That's why we call it a scrimmage. And the collegiality of working on things is why both teams end up far in the postseason every year.