2022 EBC

With Carrolltons win versus Salem that 99% clinched them a spot according to Drew Pasteur. They will only be like a 13 or 14 seed but as long as they avoid the 16 and Steuby they could be an upset pick in that region.
One thing you don’t do is run the ball on big red, they can make some noise other then that tho I think

I’m surprised nobody has said something about that last play call in the Salem/Carrollton game, a swing pass on 4th and 8 was a little head scratching, I woulda thought they would have let the Qb make a play

‘11 to ‘21 has been all West Branch. During the Goettrmoeller years at Carrollton it was much more interesting.

‘10 Carrollton 28-20
‘09 Carrollton 37-29
‘08 West Branch 13-0
‘07 West Branch 27-15
‘06 West Branch 21-9
‘05 Carrollton 26-21
‘04 Carrollton 42-7
‘03 Carrollton 23-20
‘02 West Branch 27-10
‘01 West Branch 54-0
‘00 Carrollton 10-0

Hope it’s a great game Friday but I think WB has a little bit more Jimmy’s. I’ve been wrong before however.

‘11 to ‘21 has been all West Branch. During the Goettrmoeller years at Carrollton it was much more interesting.

‘10 Carrollton 28-20
‘09 Carrollton 37-29
‘08 West Branch 13-0
‘07 West Branch 27-15
‘06 West Branch 21-9
‘05 Carrollton 26-21
‘04 Carrollton 42-7
‘03 Carrollton 23-20
‘02 West Branch 27-10
‘01 West Branch 54-0
‘00 Carrollton 10-0

Hope it’s a great game Friday but I think WB has a little bit more Jimmy’s. I’ve been wrong before however.
I believe the 2000 game was the first time Carrollton ever beat West Branch. I think the score was 10-7. Carrolltons defense was lights out that night and picked off YSU commit Matt Rycraft 5 times in the game.

If they can control the LOS they have a chance against West Branch. If not, it’s going to be a long night for Carrollton. I can tell you this, they don’t want to be the 16 seed and have Big Red in the first round.

Yes it was!
Great game that night. Watched it from the south endzone fence sitting in the back of the truck on lawn chairs. You could hear the hitting on every play. Our defense was punishing that year. Unfortunately, we don't have that defense this year. We will have to play a perfect game Friday in order to win, so a win is possible, but highly unlikely. Good luck Carrollton and good health to both Warriors.

I believe the 2000 game was the first time Carrollton ever beat West Branch. I think the score was 10-7. Carrolltons defense was lights out that night and picked off YSU commit Matt Rycraft 5 times in the game.

If they can control the LOS they have a chance against West Branch. If not, it’s going to be a long night for Carrollton. I can tell you this, they don’t want to be the 16 seed and have Big Red in the first round.
The LOS is Carrollton's strength and they have a good and physical line. However, WB as at worst just a good and just as physical and I think they may be a little better. if WB were strictly a running team it would be close and I would still pick WB. But WB will sling it all over the field and will score a lot and i don't think Carrollton can keep up. I heard DeShields had a knee issue early against Alliance, he showed a lot of toughness and finished the game and still played at a high level. I wonder how he is feeling this week because that could be a big turning point in this game.

The LOS is Carrollton's strength and they have a good and physical line. However, WB as at worst just a good and just as physical and I think they may be a little better. if WB were strictly a running team it would be close and I would still pick WB. But WB will sling it all over the field and will score a lot and i don't think Carrollton can keep up. I heard DeShields had a knee issue early against Alliance, he showed a lot of toughness and finished the game and still played at a high level. I wonder how he is feeling this week because that could be a big turning point in this game.
I heard the same. Hopefully he's 100 percent before playoffs. To play devil's advocate:

Suppose they started the sophomore that everybody assumes is the future QB against Carrollton and Salem. Not to sound disrespectful to Region 13, but I don't think it matters what seed WB is. Sure, they'd like to have a couple home playoff games, but with a healthy DeShields, they should be able to win the region no matter what the path is. If he starts the next two weeks and his knee gets worse, I would hate to be playing a team like Canton South or Girard with my best player banged up in a season with high expectations.

I know there's obvious benefits to starting him against Carrollton and Salem, but is it worth starting him in those games? Surely it depends on how serious the knee issue is.

I heard the same. Hopefully he's 100 percent before playoffs. To play devil's advocate:

Suppose they started the sophomore that everybody assumes is the future QB against Carrollton and Salem. Not to sound disrespectful to Region 13, but I don't think it matters what seed WB is. Sure, they'd like to have a couple home playoff games, but with a healthy DeShields, they should be able to win the region no matter what the path is. If he starts the next two weeks and his knee gets worse, I would hate to be playing a team like Canton South or Girard with my best player banged up in a season with high expectations.

I know there's obvious benefits to starting him against Carrollton and Salem, but is it worth starting him in those games? Surely it depends on how serious the knee issue is.
They still want to win the league title, worth playing him for that alone

I think I would sacrifice a league championship for a trip to the final 4.
I don't think the path through the region is that easy that you can forecast that though. The region is absolutely the weakest in the division but some of these teams are no slouches

I don't know that you get into all that calculus; if he is healthy enough to play, he plays; if he is not healthy enough to play, he sits.

I went to WB/Alliance middle games yesterday. Both games were for the EBC championship. Minerva's 7th grade beat Alliance 14-6 and finished undefeated in the conference, Alliance beat Minerva 8th 20-6 but they had a great 2 years. Those 2 Minerva teams give us a lot of hope, they have good numbers and talent. However, in my excitement I was reminded that the class of 2021 was really good in middle school and won 3 varsity games. Last years senior class won the EBC in 7th grade and were 0-10 and had a running clock every game last year. This year's senior class was dominate in youth football and the results are obvious. So if Speakman is doing what he was hired to do these kids will be playing in 2-3-4 years, they will hit the weight room and keep improving and the Lions will be competitive in a few years. He will be a hero in Minerva if he can break the cycle of kid quitting before high school.

Youth and middle school success mean nothing if 70% of the team stops playing..

I went to WB/Alliance middle games yesterday. Both games were for the EBC championship. Minerva's 7th grade beat Alliance 14-6 and finished undefeated in the conference, Alliance beat Minerva 8th 20-6 but they had a great 2 years. Those 2 Minerva teams give us a lot of hope, they have good numbers and talent. However, in my excitement I was reminded that the class of 2021 was really good in middle school and won 3 varsity games. Last years senior class won the EBC in 7th grade and were 0-10 and had a running clock every game last year. This year's senior class was dominate in youth football and the results are obvious. So if Speakman is doing what he was hired to do these kids will be playing in 2-3-4 years, they will hit the weight room and keep improving and the Lions will be competitive in a few years. He will be a hero in Minerva if he can break the cycle of kid quitting before high school.

Youth and middle school success mean nothing if 70% of the team stops playing..
This years senior class was dominate in youth football but then almost half the team stopped playing. It is a shame, high school football is the perennial sport in HS. You almost can't argue that. Minerva has one of the best communities for football as well. I hope they get it going.

Not a lot to talk about this week, pretty much every game is lopsided. Obviously Carrollton has a punchers chance but I don't think anybody expects it to be a very close game unless West Branch collapses
The only shot I can see Carrollton having is if they get off to a great start with 2 long td drives and they stop West Branch. Maybe West Branch then panics a little if they get behind
However if Carrollton gets behind by 2 scores quickly it will be a repeat of Garaway where it could be a running clock to start the 2nd half.

The only shot I can see Carrollton having is if they get off to a great start with 2 long td drives and they stop West Branch. Maybe West Branch then panics a little if they get behind
However if Carrollton gets behind by 2 scores quickly it will be a repeat of Garaway where it could be a running clock to start the 2nd half.
To be fair, that is the problem you run into with any team when you run that offense.

This years senior class was dominate in youth football but then almost half the team stopped playing. It is a shame, high school football is the perennial sport in HS. You almost can't argue that. Minerva has one of the best communities for football as well. I hope they get it going.
Minerva's senior class was really good in youth football. I talked to a guy that coached them and he said that they were too big. they had so many kids over the weight limit that they did have enough kids to play skilled positions in some games. They had 30 kids in 6th grade and only 2 of those kids are on the varsity roster. Slowly but surely kids starting quitting in 7th, 8th and 9th grade. this is a common theme at Minerva and hopefully Speakman stops the trend. I did notice that there were some old youth coaches on the sidelines coaching middle school. these guys are very passionate about Minerva football so that was a good move by Coach Speakman. They must keep these kids playing.

Minerva's senior class was really good in youth football. I talked to a guy that coached them and he said that they were too big. they had so many kids over the weight limit that they did have enough kids to play skilled positions in some games. They had 30 kids in 6th grade and only 2 of those kids are on the varsity roster. Slowly but surely kids starting quitting in 7th, 8th and 9th grade. this is a common theme at Minerva and hopefully Speakman stops the trend. I did notice that there were some old youth coaches on the sidelines coaching middle school. these guys are very passionate about Minerva football so that was a good move by Coach Speakman. They must keep these kids playing.
In your opinion, when did the problem start and why? 30 kids per grade is amazing, I'd expect at least 10-15 to still be there by HS

In your opinion, when did the problem start and why? 30 kids per grade is amazing, I'd expect at least 10-15 to still be there by HS
I think it was around 2013 is when we started losing kids- Hall took over over Sols- we were a really good team for several years under Yeagly and Soles. We went from an explosive wide open offense to a wing T, hall had 2 decent teams but had a ton of talent and went 0-10 his 3rd year, Willison took over for hall and things were looking up, he lost his 1st 20 but was competitive and had a lot of close games- he went 0-10 the 3rd year with mostly sophomores playing and the game weren't close. Hundley took over and did break the losing streak in 2019 and won 2 in 2020 but many think that team underachieved and should have been much better- we had 1 quarterback on the roster for 4 years (not bashing that kid but why only 1 quarterback?), we had a nonexistent off season strength program, kids were quitting left and right to focus on other sports or actually transferring. That is a direct reflection on leadership. I actually was told the coach never even gave a pregame pep talk!!

I look at it when we beat WB in 2019, we had 1 senior on the field- look where Minerva is and look where WB is since then. Not saying we would be as good as WB but should we be this bad??? At some point leadership has to take on some responsibility.

Minerva is a strong community that supports the student athletes. We have great facilities and support. We have a very good youth program and a lot of kids play football early on, there is no good excuse to only have 3 wins since 2016.

Minerva's record the last 8 years is 3 and 75. The previous 7 years be for that we have 45-28 record.

Last edited:
Looks like the results were as expected tonight. Salem looks like they are ready for the showdown with WB next week, they could have easily had a letdown but took care of business. Don't know exactly what happened with WB/Carrollton but the score wasn't close. Minerva played hard but has a very long way to go. Alliance has great athletes and a very good line

Last edited:
WB led 21-14 at half. Still a game for most of the third, but just not enough to beat a very good WB team. Good luck to them in the playoffs. Hopefully they get 100% healthy.