2022 Cleveland Browns Thread

With 98, Siaki Ika DL from Baylor. 6'3, 355 lbs. I guess the days of small d linemen are over.

Last edited:
From Bleacher Report:

1. Cedric Tillman, WR, Tennessee
    Strengths:
    Outstanding ball skills, bigger target with vertical ability, creates after the catch, adds to run game as outside blocker
    Weaknesses: One year of top-notch production, limited route tree, coming off season-ending injury
  2. For the Cleveland Browns, the organization knew it needed more at wide receiver this offseason. First, general manager Andrew Berry traded this year's second-round pick for Elijah Moore. He's now added Tillman. The Browns are now far more than Amari Cooper in the passing game. Cooper, Donovan Peoples-Jones, Moore and Tillman have the potential to be special if Deshaun Watson returns to form.
Grade: B

1. Siaki Ika, DL, Baylor
    Strengths:
    Immovable object, powerful hands and plays with good base, identifies blocks and keys well
    Weaknesses: Wears down easily, inconsistent effort, limited pass-rush contributions
  2. The Cleveland Browns had been Charmin soft along their defensive interior because general manager Andrew Berry didn't prioritize the position. His approach has changed with the free-agent signing of Dalvin Tomlinson and Ika's selection. The Browns are now far bigger and more powerful at the point of attack.
    Grade: A

From Bleacher Report:

1. Cedric Tillman, WR, Tennessee
    Strengths:
    Outstanding ball skills, bigger target with vertical ability, creates after the catch, adds to run game as outside blocker
    Weaknesses: One year of top-notch production, limited route tree, coming off season-ending injury
  2. For the Cleveland Browns, the organization knew it needed more at wide receiver this offseason. First, general manager Andrew Berry traded this year's second-round pick for Elijah Moore. He's now added Tillman. The Browns are now far more than Amari Cooper in the passing game. Cooper, Donovan Peoples-Jones, Moore and Tillman have the potential to be special if Deshaun Watson returns to form.

1. Siaki Ika, DL, Baylor
    Strengths:
    Immovable object, powerful hands and plays with good base, identifies blocks and keys well
    Weaknesses: Wears down easily, inconsistent effort, limited pass-rush contributions
  2. The Cleveland Browns had been Charmin soft along their defensive interior because general manager Andrew Berry didn't prioritize the position. His approach has changed with the free-agent signing of Dalvin Tomlinson and Ika's selection. The Browns are now far bigger and more powerful at the point of attack.
got to have some GAP stuffers... to keep O lineman off our linebackers

1. 111. Cleveland Browns
    Dawand Jones, OT, Ohio State
    Strengths:
    Gargantuan frame, awesome wingspan, strong hands, overwhelms at point of attack, quick and patient in pass set
    Weaknesses: Moves well for size but still relatively heavy-footed, slow to process defensive movement
    Ohio State's Dawand Jones epitomizes the planet theory: There are only so many men walking on this planet with his size and athleticism.
    Jones is comically large compared to the defensive linemen whom he often blocks, even though those defenders are also elite athletes. The first-team All-American stands 6'8" and weighs 374 pounds. He knows how to use his size and length, too.
    Jones' effectiveness is less about ideal technique and athleticism and more about using his humongous build to make it difficult for defenders to circumnavigate him. He allowed zero sacks and quarterback hits while serving as Ohio State's right tackle last season, per Pro Football Focus.
    Once Jones gets his hands on an assignment, the play tends to be over. That was on full display during his one practice at the Senior Bowl, where he was the best individual performer against other all-stars and future draft picks.
    The Cleveland Browns already claim one of the league's best offensive lines. They certainly get bigger and better with Jones, who's clearly a value pick in the fourth round. Besides, current right tackle Jack Conklin does have an injury history that may make this luxury pick turn into a smart investment.

1. 126. Cleveland Browns (via Minnesota)
    Isaiah McGuire, DL, Missouri
    Strengths:
    Long, strong and physical, disruptive run defender, powerful bull rush
    Weaknesses: Lacks burst and bend around edge, subpar lateral agility
    Missouri's Isaiah McGuire is an example of a collegiate edge-defender who may be better served by playing in a limited role on the outside and by usage along the defensive interior in sub-packages. That's because he relies so heavily on converting speed to power.
    The first-team All-SEC performer loves to play through offensive linemen, especially as a pass-rusher. But the 6'4", 268-pounder's overall pass-rushing repertoire and flexibility off the edge are limited. He certainly has straight-line explosive numbers, according to his relative athletic score.
    Despite the perceived limitations, McGuire produced 28 tackles for loss and 14.5 sacks over the last two seasons in the nation's toughest conference.
    The Cleveland Browns have a type at defensive end. They like big, long and athletic players, with Myles Garrett being the archetype. Though Jadeveon Clowney was Garrett's bookend the last couple of years and the team drafted Alex Wright last year, McGuire adds much-needed depth to the rotation.
    Grade: C

1. 140. Cleveland Browns (via Los Angeles Rams)
    Dorian Thompson-Robinson, QB, UCLA
    Strengths:
    Four-year starter, continual improvement, good athlete, strong arm, solid accuracy from within and outside pocket
    Weaknesses: Overall pocket presence, lower body mechanics, somewhat elongated release
    Dorian Thompson-Robinson saved his best for last during his time with the UCLA Bruins.
    Sometimes it takes a little longer for the light to come on for certain players. In Thompson-Robinson's case, the fifth-year senior set career highs in completion percentage (69.6), passing yards (3,169), touchdown tosses (27), quarterback rating (157.4), rushing yardage (645) and rushing touchdowns (12).
    His athleticism, with a 4.56-second 40-yard dash, also lends well to the professional level, as does a strong arm.
    However, the biggest growth teams wanted to see came off the field, where his maturity came into question.
    "DTR had a really good workout, maybe gained a little bit of steam," an NFC executive told NFL.com's Tom Pelissero. "But I still can't see him overcoming the [initial] character stuff. ... They said he made significant strides this year. And he did in his play, too."
    Last year, the Browns played without Deshaun Watson as he served his league-mandated suspension. Jacoby Brissett performed admirably, though he's now a member of the Washington Commanders. Thompson-Robinson brings a fantastic athletic profile to develop behind Watson and potentially thrive in Kevin Stefanski's offensive scheme.
    Grade: B+

1. 142. Cleveland Browns
    Cameron Mitchell, CB, Northwestern

The Cleveland Browns already had some success with a Northwestern cornerback when the organization drafted Greg Newsome II in the first round of the 2021 class. General manager Andrew Berry went back to the well with Cameron Mitchell.
    Mitchell is an experienced corner who performs well in man and zone coverage. His ball skills definitely serve as a positive, though he can be a more physical defender, particularly when asked to tackle.
    Grade: C

1. 190. Cleveland Browns
    Luke Wypler, IOL, Ohio State
    Strengths:
    Lateral agility, good pad level, keeps hands within his frame, maintains blocks through entire play
    Weaknesses: Small frame, lacks length, no experience at guard, struggles to anchor
    Ohio State has a history of developing center prospects with varying degrees of success once they reach the NFL. Corey Linsley, Pat Elflein, Bill Price, Michael Jordan and Josh Myers have all been drafted within the last decade. Luke Wypler is next in line.
    Wypler took over snapping as a redshirt freshman and started for two seasons before declaring early for this year's draft class.
    Wypler falls more in line with Linsley and Elflein because of his size limitations. The incoming pivot is 6'3" and 303 pounds with 31⅝-inch arms. His game is predicated on his movement skills. He is an ideal candidate to play in a heavy zone scheme because of his ability to consistently reach blocking assignments.
    What team plays a heavy zone scheme? The Cleveland Browns. Bingo.
    While the Browns are settled with Ethan Pocic at center, Wypler can immediately push Nick Harris, who was slated to start last preseason, as the team's backup center.

Last edited:
Report I read about Jones was he had a good first day of practice at the a senior Bowl & then shut it down. At the OSU pro day there was concern about his effort/professionalism - kinda thought he had already solidified himself as a day 2 pick. Maybe this slipping into the 4th rd will be a wake up call.

Adding depth, not much else. About what you should expect from a draft with nothing before the 3rd round.

Goodbye Togai and Schwartz.

Saw DTR live twice as the UCLA qb…

Very good athlete, thin, appears to have good leadership qualities, sketchy judgement on passes when pressured or on the move.

After years of avoiding OSU guys like the plague they bring in 3 through the draft/undrafted FA.

A pretty "meh" draft, but mostly because of a lack of high round picks. Ika was a good pick in my opinion, but that's mostly out of need. Tillman has all the attributes for a AFC North receiver but has some staying on the field problems. I worry that when November comes around his bruises may be "aggravated" and he can't play. But that's why he's a third round pick, so I can't be mad about it.

Jones will need to really get in shape to play in the NFL. Don't let the former OSU player fool you, he is not ready for pro football. There's so much potential with him but he will really need to get in shape and learn some foot skills. A lot of the stuff you get away with in the Big Ten does not translate well to the NFL.

A pretty "meh" draft, but mostly because of a lack of high round picks. Ika was a good pick in my opinion, but that's mostly out of need. Tillman has all the attributes for a AFC North receiver but has some staying on the field problems. I worry that when November comes around his bruises may be "aggravated" and he can't play. But that's why he's a third round pick, so I can't be mad about it.

Jones will need to really get in shape to play in the NFL. Don't let the former OSU player fool you, he is not ready for pro football. There's so much potential with him but he will really need to get in shape and learn some foot skills. A lot of the stuff you get away with in the Big Ten does not translate well to the NFL.
Yeah. I remember when Tampa Bay drafted Tristan Wirfs and he struggled as a rookie, while Jed Wills from Bama was an instant all-pro with the Browns in the same draft. Ohhh, wait.

Jones will need some development because he is still raw. OSU turned him into a football player. Playing in the B1G was a plus for him, though. He certainly didn’t struggle versus Georgia.

Now Paris Johnson, on the other hand…oh wait, he seemed pretty good too. I’m sure he would have been drafted much higher, though, if he had gone to an SEC school…like that OT the Bengals drafted a couple years ago from Bama. 🙄

Last edited:
Browns train in private for a week at The Greenbrier…wow…very cool. That has to be a Haslam/Jim Justice connection.

If you’ve never been…can they get people to work hard at a place like that?

I’ve been there a couple times, beautiful place. There is a large area under the hotel that was built in the 50s-60s? Where the entire Senate and House, Cabinet were to be relocated in the case of nuclear war.

I’ve been there a couple times, beautiful place. There is a large area under the hotel that was built in the 50s-60s? Where the entire Senate and House, Cabinet were to be relocated in the case of nuclear war.
Correct…quite close to DC, actually. The bunker was exposed in 90’s by a reporter and then decommissioned…arguments were that it was obsolete anyway…as to the issue of whether the reporter had done actual harm.

It’s extraordinary, but expensive and remote. The governor of W Virginia is the current owner. It seems as though certain constituencies…state and fed government (I 64) have gathered to protect it

I played the golf course in the 1970’s. The home pro… Sam Snead.

Not sure how “old South” it is currently but it has a plantation vibe that might not agree with some

Hard to imagine the Stillers going to The Greenbrier…more like a Motel 6 in Youngstown with practice in the parking lot…
St Vincent College in Latrobe, PA has been good enough for the Steelers since 1967. The Browns were still riding high back then as one of the best NFL franchises with the Steelers being one of the worst. The direction of both franchises were to change soon after.

Latrobe was the birth place of a pretty good golfer too, as well as a beer that got many a student through their college years.

How many masseuses on the roster?
Advice from Steve Harvey:

While Harvey loves Watson's play, he wants him to stop moving too much during a session. Speaking to Hall of Famer Shannon Sharpe on "Club Shay Shay," Harvey said:
"I'm a huge Deshaun Watson fan. I have no problem with Deshaun Watson; I do have one suggestion. My only suggestion is, ain't no problem with getting a massage, it's just you have got to stop turning over. Stay face down. Just stay face down... Do not turn over."