2022-2023 General Discussion

Spille

College hoops kicks off today. Baylor already in the win column with an easy victory over Mississippi Valley State.

I, for one, am glad they scheduled a couple break-in games before the State Farm Champions Classic. That seemed to make for some ugly basketball when it kicked off the season.

Early final 4 predictions?

Early FF

UCLA
Houston
UNC
Baylor

worth noting FF is in Houston, but I’m going with UNC to win it all

Purdue - Gonzaga
some seriously bad basketball. Gonzago loses badly second time. Purdue starting two true Fr at the guard spots.

Everyone on the team pages. Probably not much general discussion. I'll have to make this the Purdue/B10 thread :D
Duke with a new coach and THREE Fr 7ft centers two of which fouled out trying to guard Edey but still a good win.

Good early showing with two true Fr at the guard spot and maybe it was camera angle, but I don't think Edey is the tallest guy on the team. I dont think they have enough to beat Michigan. They'll compete for a 3-4 seed in the NCAA though.

Everyone on the team pages. Probably not much general discussion. I'll have to make this the Purdue/B10 thread :D
Duke with a new coach and THREE Fr 7ft centers two of which fouled out trying to guard Edey but still a good win.

Good early showing with two true Fr at the guard spot and maybe it was camera angle, but I don't think Edey is the tallest guy on the team. I dont think they have enough to beat Michigan. They'll compete for a 3-4 seed in the NCAA though.
I imagine you’re riding pretty high right now. Great win for Purdue hoops today and the football team plays for the B1G championship on Saturday. Images of Joe Barry Carroll, Jerry Sichting, Mark Hermann and Keena Turner dancing around in your head - haha.

I imagine you’re riding pretty high right now. Great win for Purdue hoops today and the football team plays for the B1G championship on Saturday. Images of Joe Barry Carroll, Jerry Sichting, Mark Hermann and Keena Turner dancing around in your head - haha.
First and foremost a Toledo fan. and they've (football, M and W BBall) been performing less than expected. Still on board though.

Not sure I'm looking forward to the shellacking Michigan is going to put on. But this was a surprise weekend for a developing Purdue basketball team. Painter's team are so old school Indiana, they're fun to watch even when out talented. If these year's B10 teams match up to the talent level of those Carroll, Sichting years, it will be special. Several all-timers in the B10 about that time.

lol, Purdue may never be the best but they entertain. At some point in any game, I literally smh.

I'd say there's at least a 50% shot, some game Edey will foul out the entire starting rotation of a team. Why they don't just play 5 on 4 and dare Purdue to get the pass in, and maybe get some turn-overs in the process?

Last edited:
NC is a mess early in the season. I'm not completely surprised. I have no idea how they made it to finals last year. They weren't a good team last year and are proving they are average this year.

NC is a mess early in the season. I'm not completely surprised. I have no idea how they made it to finals last year. They weren't a good team last year and are proving they are average this year.
I think NC will be fine. Yes, they were probably over ranked to begin the season based on their March push. But they lost to 3 consecutive ranked teams, then lost at Va Tech, a tough place to play. Conference road games are tough no matter what.

Fun thing watching a Purdue game is to see how a team will defend Edey. He's a great weapon but he's still not the basketball player those he gets compared to, Shaq and Robinson. Nebraska doubling with talls, making the pass in very hard. Having one reasonably tall good enough to drive and bank off the top of the basketboard like a good PG and they've negated him. Purdue doesn't have Ivey anymore to split the defense. On D, Edey is also pretty easy to suck to the perimeter, leaving the middle open. They in general don't have a strong defensive player other than the Fr Smith,who can't be everywhere.

I think NC will be fine. Yes, they were probably over ranked to begin the season based on their March push. But they lost to 3 consecutive ranked teams, then lost at Va Tech, a tough place to play. Conference road games are tough no matter what.
They’re playing a dangerous game thinking they can just turn it on at the end of the year.

Fun thing watching a Purdue game is to see how a team will defend Edey. He's a great weapon but he's still not the basketball player those he gets compared to, Shaq and Robinson. Nebraska doubling with talls, making the pass in very hard. Having one reasonably tall good enough to drive and bank off the top of the basketboard like a good PG and they've negated him. Purdue doesn't have Ivey anymore to split the defense. On D, Edey is also pretty easy to suck to the perimeter, leaving the middle open. They in general don't have a strong defensive player other than the Fr Smith,who can't be everywhere.
I always get suckered into thinking Purdue is a FF team. I think they can get there but I can’t pick them.

I always get suckered into thinking Purdue is a FF team. I think they can get there but I can’t pick them.
They've had that unique feel but always a very bold hole in the rotation, usually lack of a true PG. They have that now, but he's a Fr. Now they're missing that person that can drive reliably to the basket and haven't shown a reliable mid-range. Loyer could be a player though. I've not seen anyone stop him. He's not the same prodigy but he's remindng me of another former tall blond haired hoosier. He's cocky. Takes shots all over the court. I've not seen much around the basket yet.

He's likely done at Texas. Please look up Bruce Pearl or Rick Pitino and see what they've done. They are still coaching. As long as you can win ball games, someone will hire you.

Alabama doesn't seem to have enough options on offense. Looked like they were going to run-a-way with this, then... blah.

Purdue's offense: bounce it off the backboard, have Edey catch it and put it in. Even so, their Fr PG is one of the best players I've seen this season.

Sewers backed-up in W. Lafayette when a game started and there was no 7'4" kid on the floor. Sucked for thecrowd that were able to get tickets they normally would not be able to get, with the school on break. Fortunately, it wasn't a tough opponent, so the rest of the team got a chance to remember what "basketball" is supposed to look like as opposed to throw the ball in the general direction of the orange ring, let the tall guy get the rebound and put-back.

Edey out with "illness." Could be anything from cold to flu to bad grades. Hopefully a short-term thing.