2021 St. Edward Football

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have arrived to week one! What do we know about Toledo Central Catholic? Seemed that they had a good year last year, dropping a tough one to Avon Lake in the playoffs. I know they've won state championships in smaller divisions and have sent enough players to the next level.

Toledo Central Catholic is too young to give your group a test. A few weeks down the line we might be able to give you a decent game but based on what I saw Friday against Anthony Wayne Ed's will be more than we can handle. On the plus side, nobody tailgates like TCC, come early and come to the parking lot off of Cherry and socialize, were easy to get along with and we'll have tons of food and soda's....

Couple days from kickoff and I still don't see an updated roster on the school's athletic website. Can anyone confirm the current schedule? I've seen a couple different ones out there, some listing a week 2 matchup with HD Woodson (DC) and Rock Creek Christian (MD) in week 8, and another with RCC in week 2 and Football North in week 8.

Couple days from kickoff and I still don't see an updated roster on the school's athletic website. Can anyone confirm the current schedule? I've seen a couple different ones out there, some listing a week 2 matchup with HD Woodson (DC) and Rock Creek Christian (MD) in week 8, and another with RCC in week 2 and Football North in week 8.
The Latter is correct. Rock Creek in week 2 and Football North in week 8

N

No mention of Zyion Freer-Brown…wasn’t he a junior last year?
Yes, Zyion is a senior this year. There are a few players Norm missed in his preview. Maybe he was discussing the projected lineup for this Friday, excluding those that are sidelined with injuries from camp and may be unavailable.

Agree with Carmen on the live feed. Need to shorten routes. OL isn't allowing enough time for all 20+ route trees. Need more underneath calls. Slants. Outs. Screens. Feels like TCC is taking a page from Hoban last year and just bringing the house. 5+ step drop plays gotta be scrapped in the second. Get their D runnin side to side.

Agree with Carmen on the live feed. Need to shorten routes. OL isn't allowing enough time for all 20+ route trees. Need more underneath calls. Slants. Outs. Screens. Feels like TCC is taking a page from Hoban last year and just bringing the house. 5+ step drop plays gotta be scrapped in the second. Get their D runnin side to side.
Great third Qtr. Staff always makes adjustments. I should've known better.

The Eagles have some work to do on offense. TCC dominated the line of scrimmage in the 1st half. This 2021 version of the Eagles D looks very promising. Early season games like TCC will allow the staff to determine who their best lineups are as the season matures. I was very pleased with our placekicker...it appears he has the leg to give the team some points from 35 out as needed.

Go Eagles!

Last edited:
The first half was a struggle for both teams to move the ball outside of a few big plays. Ramos' touch seemed much better than last year as he hit Miller on a skinny post early. Our o-line struggled to get a push it seemed and therefore the running game suffered. We have a good stable of backs led by Enovitch it seems but if the o-line can't push and get to the second level it doesn't matter. I was a little surprised Ramos didn't run more but there wasn't as much of a need as the game went on. Defensively I thought we would struggle with those receivers and qb more but I was impressed by the d-line. It seemed like everyone had a good game there. TCC hit #11 a lot, was surprised they didn't go to many other receivers. We shut down their running game well until late in the game.

After halftime, how could you not love the response? Found some wrinkles we exploited and asserted control in that 3rd quarter. Hitting a running back on a wheel route will be tough for any defense to cover after being able to hit either Miller, Manning or Goodall deep. While we missed a couple of deep passes it was clear the receivers were usually open and any D coordinator would have nightmares trying to defend that. Key part of the game was a pick to the 4 yard line after a TD drive, setting up another score. The INT was caused by pressure. Special teams did well too and it was a pretty clean game for us, only 3 penalties I think. All in all I think it was a perfect week one game, we won handily against a good team on the road by the end of it but there is enough to work on still.

Overall very pleased with what I saw on Friday. Expected the slow start making a road trip in week 1. Did not expect the o-line to get dominated as they did for about 2 1/2 quarters. This is a smaller group than we are used to, but looked very good in the preseason scrimmages. I trust Scanlon to have the best five out there, but we are playing 5 guards. We have some tackle bodies on the sidelines, and I'd like to see them get acclimated. Have to credit TCC as they appear to be very strong in their front seven on defense, aggressively attacking the LOS and blowing up the run lanes. Kudos to the Ed's staff for dialing up some nice plays in the second half to take advantage of the aggressiveness. The wheel route to Eno was beautiful. TCC had to back off a bit at that point and we were able to establish the run game late in the 3rd and 4th quarters. We don't lose much when Eno leaves the game with Bell and Gribble. We are well positioned at RB.

As for the passing game as whole, I agree with those that mentioned adjusting our route tree to cater to Ramos' strengths. I'm still holding out hope this early in the season, but I just do not see the accuracy deep and outside to continually ask him to make those passes. It is what it is. Jackson Miller was the preferred target working from the slot position and running routes in between the hashes. The passing game needs to be more of what we see from Elder. I've always admired their passing game, using it as an extension of the run game. Multiple shallow crossing/rub routes, comebacks, seam routes. We have a talented receiving corp, but we are not reaching their potential.

Defense looked great. Very stout up front. Kilbane was fantastic off the edge (4 sacks?). Can't imagine what it would be like pairing him opposite Bixby, but Molnar showed he is more than capable of bein g the other bookend. Gedeon, Ratliff and Williams were very active from their LB positions, and when Zyion rejoins the fold look out. Impressed with Sidari as well from that S/LB position. Reads the game well and comes up to erase the edge. We are very deep and versatile in the secondary, and can play a number of different personnel depending on the down and distance.

Couple names I did not see on the varsity roster this year from last years JV's were Kayin Cooper and Terrell Morton. I see Cooper may now be at VASJ. Probably best as I know we are high on the sophomore QB Casey Bullock. Anyone know if Morton is still at Ed's? I thought he was a pretty good corner that would contribute this year.

Have the current JVs had any close games going back to last season? That team seems to overmatch all opponents.
Can't recall scores, but they haven't lost yet and appear to be as talented a group as we've seen since the 2014 class. Maybe not as many high end skill players as '14, but the line on both sides are massive.

St. Edward and Bally Sports Great Lakes Announce Partnership

St. Edward High School in Lakewood is proud to announce a partnership with Bally Sports Great Lakes to broadcast four Eagles home football games in 2021.

Saint Edward is the first Ohio high school to team up with Bally Sports Great Lakes to air its football contests.

The Bally Sports production, of the game, will air live Saturday night at 7 p.m. on StedwardEagles.com. The first broadcast is set for this Sunday at 7PM, a tape delay airing of the Eagles game against Rock Creek Christian Academy from Maryland.

The other games that will air on Bally Sports Great Lakes include September 4th vs. Mentor, October 9th vs. St. Ignatius and October 16 vs. Cincinnati Moeller.

St. Edward and Bally Sports Great Lakes Announce Partnership

St. Edward High School in Lakewood is proud to announce a partnership with Bally Sports Great Lakes to broadcast four Eagles home football games in 2021.

Saint Edward is the first Ohio high school to team up with Bally Sports Great Lakes to air its football contests.

The Bally Sports production, of the game, will air live Saturday night at 7 p.m. on StedwardEagles.com. The first broadcast is set for this Sunday at 7PM, a tape delay airing of the Eagles game against Rock Creek Christian Academy from Maryland.

The other games that will air on Bally Sports Great Lakes include September 4th vs. Mentor, October 9th vs. St. Ignatius and October 16 vs. Cincinnati Moeller.
I’ve heard that those broadcasts will provide enhanced video features. Adam Mendoza and Carmen Angelo will still do the play-by-play.

I heard that yesterday’s St. Edward vs. Rock Creek Christian was going to be broadcast today at 7:00 pm. But there is no link on St. Edward’s athletic site. Anyone know how to see the delayed broadcast? Does it require a subscription to Bally Sports Ohio network?

I heard that yesterday’s St. Edward vs. Rock Creek Christian was going to be broadcast today at 7:00 pm. But there is no link on St. Edward’s athletic site. Anyone know how to see the delayed broadcast? Does it require a subscription to Bally Sports Ohio network?
It is supposed to be on Bally Sports Ohio now. Indians are delaying the start.

I thought it was going to be on live during the game on the Eds website. Did that happen?

No, mass confusion with this new deal. A little surprised that details couldn’t be figured out prior to announcement and game.

I understand we have difficulty scheduling, but putting multiple "prep/academy" teams on the schedule has to stop. The BS game absolutely should not have been scheduled again this year, and that Rock Creek school wasn't much better. If that means scheduling a legitimate out-of-state powerhouse type of school and maybe taking a butt kicking then so be it. These games do nothing to prepare the team for the post-season, and only continue to promote these sham schools. What happened to the days of putting one of the big Jersey or Baltimore/DC privates on the schedule? Iggy and Hoban are doing it.

It is supposed to be on Bally Sports Ohio now. Indians are delaying the start.

I thought it was going to be on live during the game on the Eds website. Did that happen?
I checked with the Athletic Department. The plan is to continue streaming games on Boxcast. (The Rock Creek Christian game was supposed to have been shown on Boxcast, but temperatures of well over 100 degrees in the media trailer caused issues which precluded that.) Additionally, Bally Network will televise a few games (Mentor, Ignatius and Moeller on a 24-hour delay basis?).

Matt Goul interviewed Lombardo for his recent article concerning Bishop Sycamore, and seemed to hint that cancellation of that game may be in the cards. Hopefully that's the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.