2020 StX Football

Perhaps the making of the best line since 2014 which had both Bockhorsts, Noah Davis at tight end and Danny McHale. 2016 would have been stellar had not Bockhorst and Altimari gotten hurt, but hard to complain when state title brought home.

I see that Indiana is allowing fall HS sports to start July 1. Hopefully Ohio does the same...

Only news that I have heard out of camp so far is that Jackson "Big Wass" Wassler has lost about 25 lbs and is a svelte 270 lbs. We will have good size on the O-line this year. I am sure that Reload will provide details once they get into camp this summer.

Overheard a little it and I am sure some of this is business as usual: most of the Dudes showed in good shape, some better than others; a number of players are working out at different positions; 8 incoming sophomores are working out with Varsity not including QBs; and there seems to be no indications on who is leading the pack for starting QB.

Overheard a little it and I am sure some of this is business as usual: most of the Dudes showed in good shape, some better than others; a number of players are working out at different positions; 8 incoming sophomores are working out with Varsity not including QBs; and there seems to be no indications on who is leading the pack for starting QB.
QB is down to 3 Klare, Nolan, and McCaughey. Whitehouse is full TE and has been working out with them giving the RT spot to Wassler. Still a big question mark at center. Many juniors have been stepping up though from what I’ve been told.

How in the world is there going to be a season or even school this year if they shut down everything for 2 weeks after a positive test

I was thinking the same thing today. Maybe they are being a little over conservative because it is still early in the grand scheme of things and it sounds like they were going to give the kids this Friday and next Monday off anyways for the holiday weekend. So in reality they might only be cancelling three practices. There is certainly no way any school can think they are going to get through the entire season without one of their players getting sick. The odds are stacked highly against you.

The Enquirer said there have been three schools that have suspended practice due to Covid test results. I can't imagine they are the only three kids that have Covid 19. This means others schools haven't started testing, have been lucky with no cases, or have not suspended practice due to a positive test. I think what we will see is each school handling things a little differently. Unless the OHSAA or leagues mandate specific protocols for positive test results then you will have schools that continue business as usual while others take a more conservative approach. Ultimately this will impact the games being played. For example if this was week one would St X forfeit?

1. St Xavier did not test this kid. He was feeling symptoms and did the right thing in telling the St. X Coaches he went and got tested on his own and tested positive. I cannot imagine how pressure was on that kid and hope is able to recover.

2. Other schools have confirmed players that have tested positive and have not shut down. I think Sycamore is one of those schools.

I would think kids being tested positive are because they were around someone that had tested positive so they went and got the test or their parents are just sheep. I am not taking my kid for a test which if he is negative today, may be positive tomorrow. If he was really sick with fever and breathing issues then yes, reason for a test. Covid is all around out there. Prob 25% of the football players have covid and don't even know it.
Sheep? Gotcha. How about the fact that every professional sports league along with colleges are testing players in an effort to manage this pandemic. The easy answer is no sports until a vaccine is in place. But if you are going to attempt to play you have to test and have a strategy for managing it.

The single biggest predictor of critical illness for those who become infected is obesity. Guess who qualifies as obese.....many offensive lineman.

This is not something to ignore

The single biggest predictor of critical illness for those who become infected is obesity. Guess who qualifies as obese.....many offensive lineman.
Interesting - so you are saying no obese 19 year-olds in Ohio have gotten it yet? Because I know none have died.

Interesting - so you are saying no obese 19 year-olds in Ohio have gotten it yet? Because I know none have died.
What I said is that obesity is the number one risk factor for complications from Covid19. I understand that statistically it is still low but lets face it there are kids on the team who are definitely obese (generally stuck at oline). Covid 19 has more serious implications for someone who is obese.

I understand that the odd are still extremely low but there is still a real risk of serious complications even for teenagers.

What I said is that obesity is the number one risk factor for complications from Covid19. I understand that statistically it is still low but lets face it there are kids on the team who are definitely obese (generally stuck at oline). Covid 19 has more serious implications for someone who is obese.

I understand that the odd are still extremely low but there is still a real risk of serious complications even for teenagers.
Much more dangerous driving on n. Bend at 8a and after practice, 6p than dying/complications from Covid...but if Anderson Cooper was reporting on N. Bend situation, that would be shut down too....

Last year Reload went silent in June and then re-emerged in late August. I would think that Reload will do the same this year. We keep moving toward a season this fall. The OHFSCA submitted a COVID plan to the Governor this week that is hopefully well received.

Camp going well sounds like boys are itching to suit up & start hitting.
Only in helmets now but they are getting after it

Happy to share information and of course all of this is subject to change. I do think some of the players read these threads so I am sometimes hesitant to post names.

The Offense is being cranked up a couple more notches. Players are being asked to do more than last season and there less tolerance for mistakes, even this early in the practices. Expect more rotation at all positions than what we saw last season. Idea is to keep fresh bodies on the field and snap as many plays as possible. Was told the following by multiple people: QB seems to be a two player battle at this point, OL will have 4 returning starters with a junior and sophomore competing for the center position. Expect to see 9 OL playing during the games with the core getting most of the reps. TE is going to feature an upperclassmen but the Sophomore has great hands. Obviously Vrsansky is probably going to be the feature RB, but there is another junior that will probably be featured along with a big bruiser from the sophomore class.

The Defense is going to have a lot more speed. There are familiar faces at new positions and new faces at other positions. One of the LBs from last season is now playing DL and there are a couple sophomores that simply standout because they are good players and are among the fastest kids on the team. Don't be surprised if you see Clifford out there on Defense in the 4Q, coaches know they have to get more speed on the defensive side of the ball.

Their is no secret the Junior Class is the depth of this team but there are some very talented seniors and some rising sophomores that are going to play significant roles.

Last edited:
Happy to share information and of course all of this is subject to change. I do think some of the players read these threads so I am sometimes hesitant to post names.

The Offense is being cranked up a couple more notches. Players are being asked to do more than last season and there less tolerance for mistakes, even this early in the practices. Expect more rotation at all positions than what we saw last season. Idea is to keep fresh bodies on the field and snap as many plays as possible. Was told the following by multiple people: QB seems to be a two player battle at this point, OL will have 4 returning starters with a junior and sophomore competing for the center position. Expect to see 9 OL playing during the games with the core getting most of the reps. TE is going to feature an upperclassmen but the Sophomore has great hands. Obviously Vrsansky is probably going to be the feature RB, but there is another junior that will probably be featured along with a big bruiser from the sophomore class.

The Defense is going to have a lot more speed. There are familiar faces at new positions and new faces at other positions. One of the LBs from last season is now playing DL and there are a couple sophomores that simply standout because they are good players and are among the fastest kids on the team. Don't be surprised if you see Clifford out there on Defense in the 4Q, coaches know they have to get more speed on the defensive side of the ball.

Their is no secret the Junior Class is the depth of this team but there are some very talented seniors and some rising sophomores that are going to play significant roles.
Thanks for this. It is nice to read something like this these days!

I saw on this on twitter yesterday. https://tristatefootball.com/ It was voting for preseason all tri state team. Looks like LaSalle had five guys selected on the first team. Are they the class of the GCL this year? What are the thoughts on Moeller and Elder?

Some more info Whitehouse was officially moved back to OL after trying to play TE again. He will play guard and compete with 2 juniors for the 2 guard spots, Parker is playing center also.

Heard about Whitehouse last night. Just not sure I would pencil in Parker at Center but it is certainly good to have that option. I do think the staff is keeping some extra kids in the mix because they were snake bitten last season and the whole Covid situation. One thing is for sure, OL is going to be a strong suit for StX the next couple seasons.