2020 St. Ignatius Football

For the last few years 20% of the incoming classes at Ignatius have been minorities. However, many do not play sports.

I once read on Yappi several years ago that a greater percentage of minority students could be found at Ignatius rather than at Ed's with the primary difference being that the minority students at Ed's cound be found on the football and basketball teams, while the minority students at Ignatius could be found at the chess club.

When you hear the term "Diversity" in regards to schools/education, it is not referring to Asian, Indian or other over-represented groups. I have no idea what the numbers are for either school, and who boasts more African American Tuba players, but citing greater number of "minority" students in and of itself is not indicative of serving underrepresented groups.

When you hear the term "Diversity" in regards to schools/education, it is not referring to Asian, Indian or other over-represented groups. I have no idea what the numbers are for either school, and who boasts more African American Tuba players, but citing greater number of "minority" students in and of itself is not indicative of serving underrepresented groups.

This is a good point. Based on a conversation I had last week, about 8% of Ignatius' incoming class this year was black. about 20-22% were minorities (including all non-white students).

I once read on Yappi several years ago that a greater percentage of minority students could be found at Ignatius rather than at Ed's with the primary difference being that the minority students at Ed's cound be found on the football and basketball teams, while the minority students at Ignatius could be found at the chess club.

Why does black/football/basketball automatically mean inner city? I don't know what the breakdown at Ed's is, but do know they have had some good black athletes from places like Medina, Strongsville, Twinsburg, Solon, etc. You know places that nobody bats an eye if they end up at Ed's if they are white. Just saying.

Why does black/football/basketball automatically mean inner city? I don't know what the breakdown at Ed's is, but do know they have had some good black athletes from places like Medina, Strongsville, Twinsburg, Solon, etc. You know places that nobody bats an eye if they end up at Ed's if they are white. Just saying.

Agree, it's not so subtle racism.

It's a disservice to those kids.

Contrary to popular belief, the minority players on Ed's roster over the years are not all a bunch of inner-city charity cases. Some of the best guys we've had come hit the same demographic target as the rest of the student body. Suburban dwellers, two-parent households, excellent students (including a handful of Ivy Leaguers). While voucher expansion has opened the boundaries for a number of inner-city and inner-ring suburban minority families that once faced economic barriers, I don't believe it's to the degree that some imagine. St. Edward has been quite open about their efforts to diversify the student body (in all aspects) over the past few years, and I think it pays dividends on the athletic field. The Ignatius guys can correct me if I'm wrong, but it's my understanding that the schools admission priorities are still preferential to Catholic grade schools graduates (which by and large are going to consist of your white, upper-middle to upper-class kids). And let's be honest, success begets success. Ed's has been winning on the football field a lot lately, and minority grade school kids are seeing more and more faces like theirs on the team.

Excellent post. I would also say that while it pays dividends athletically for sure, it also pays dividends for the entire community.

Everyone in Ohio still has the utmost respect for Chico and his staff. A few bad years and the Alumni are calling for his head. Can you say spoiled ?Ignatius is still Ignatius and they will rebound . Good luck in the playoffs except against my Eagles

[/QUOTE]

Reactions: 4GX
Regarding the Solon game tomorrow night, any update on:

The 3 starters on defense that were out for the St. X game (Velotta – LB, Snyder - CB and Lair - S)?

On offense – Simcak – RB and Ryland - G, who were out for both the Massillon and St. X games?
Lenehan has done very well at RB with Simcak out.

The 3 starters on defense that were out for the St. X game (Velotta – LB, Snyder - CB and Lair - S)?

On offense – Simcak – RB and Ryland - G, who were out for both the Massillon and St. X games?
Lenihan is going to be in ”beast-mode” for the rest of this season and next— Kyle almost certainly knows what he’s found there— and will start to use him appropriately (meaning ~25 carries/game)...

Hanna is out for the year on defense, Snyder is back, Laspiza? the Wr is out for the year as well, I believe they will be missing 5 starters since the first game of the year.

Would like to see the Sophomore Webster get more time, I was generally impressed with what I saw on his first Varsity action last week.

On the bright side, the freshman finally put together a nice game and won at Mentor, 28-0.

Last edited:
Some questionable play calling on the drive that ended in the first missed field goal (read option on 3rd and 7?)

Eichelberger is a nice player. Otherwise, not seeing much talent on this Solon team.