2020 St. Ignatius Football

Not true. The current Ignatius seniors (class of '21) won as freshmen in 2017, 10-7, but did lose the JV game in 2018, 10-0. Class of 2022 (current juniors) won as freshmen in 2018, 27-24, and as sophomores on JV in 2019, 10-3

I think I was remembering another class, some players with very good individual talent, but not enough for a whole team. Thanks.

Not true. The current Ignatius seniors (class of '21) won as freshmen in 2017, 10-7, but did lose the JV game in 2018, 10-0. Class of 2022 (current juniors) won as freshmen in 2018, 27-24, and as sophomores on JV in 2019, 10-3
Frosh and Jv results means very little when varsity time rolls around. I recall hearing Ed’s frosh lost to division 4 West Geauga last year and then West G JVs beat Iggy last year also.

I don't remember West G playing Ignatius, do you mean Kirtland?

It was Kirtland.
The difference is that both Ed's and Ignatius play most of the kids on the team in games vs D4 and D5 irregardless of the depth chart, whereas in the Holy War battles, the best play

Dispatch mentions some Sycamore players:

Sycamore was scheduled to open the season last week at St. Vincent-St. Mary. However, that game was canceled when the two schools could not agree to a final contract. The Centurions did conduct a scrimmage against Lima Senior. ... Sycamore QB Noah McClendon is a sophomore transfer from Pickerington Central, while his brother, Donovan McClendon, is a two-way tackle. The elder McClendon is a fifth-year senior on the team. ... One of the younger McClendon’s top targets is Cincinnati La Salle transfer Jaylin Norwood. ... ILB Miles Carter, a Reynoldsburg graduate, is the defensive standout.

We have many track and field titles.
Ladies and Men.

You also have an individual wrestling champion in Ivan McClay. However, winning track and field and wrestling championships are not what most Massillon fans are obsessed over.

The athletic website for tickets has nothing for football, so it looks like attendance will be limited to team and band families.

The athletic website for tickets has nothing for football, so it looks like attendance will be limited to team and band families.
Going to be very interesting. I think most fans expect this team to struggle mightily. Little experience, very few practices, and a weak Senior class.

Going to be very interesting. I think most fans expect this team to struggle mightily. Little experience, very few practices, and a weak Senior class.

You're right. So little is expected, especially since the last three games are very tough. They will have sorted out and fixed many of there concerns, whereas Ignatius will still be trying to figure out what needs to be fixed. But, you never know; big surprises have happened before.

It seems somewhat curious to me that as the number of varsity football has been in decline, the band seems to be growing by leaps and bounds. Has there been a new band director the last few years?
Why would a Massillon backer be looking at the soccer forums of all places. Unless, of course, you are following AZ as he has picked up the pace in the soccer and hockey threads over the years. Regardless, sounds like someone is borderline stalking someone.
I have recently noticed an orange and black Pinto with Ohio plates driving up and down my street.

It seems somewhat curious to me that as the number of varsity football has been in decline, the band seems to be growing by leaps and bounds. Has there been a new band director the last few years?

I have recently noticed an orange and black Pinto with Ohio plates driving up and down my street.

Give it a rest. The answer to your first question is ," Yes." Dan Hamlin has been the director for the last several years and has grown the band nicely. Here they are in Columbus a couple years ago when Ignatius played COF, the predecessor to Bishop Sycamore.

Last edited:

I wouldn't worry much about numbers. I'd say approximately 75-80 returning JR/SRs, 60 or so SO, and 70 or so FR. With sophomores dressing, you could have 90-95 kids on the roster if you weren't limited to 60 kids dressing in a game because of the state order. The program is doing just fine, and the band is doing great too!

Dispatch mentions some Sycamore players:

Sycamore was scheduled to open the season last week at St. Vincent-St. Mary. However, that game was canceled when the two schools could not agree to a final contract. The Centurions did conduct a scrimmage against Lima Senior. ... Sycamore QB Noah McClendon is a sophomore transfer from Pickerington Central, while his brother, Donovan McClendon, is a two-way tackle. The elder McClendon is a fifth-year senior on the team. ... One of the younger McClendon’s top targets is Cincinnati La Salle transfer Jaylin Norwood. ... ILB Miles Carter, a Reynoldsburg graduate, is the defensive standout.
Just to clarify, not that it really matters but Donovan McClendon is not a 5th year player. He is a "true" senior and this is his 4th year of high school. He was a starter on the D-Line at Pick Central for most of the season last year and seemed to be poised for a breakout season. Then out of the blue, he gone.

Just got word that the game against St. Edward next week will be at First Energy Stadium. Tickets will remain capped at 1500.

Wonder if we'll ever see a 2020 roster.

I was looking at the Eds freshmen roster. The Eagles have some incredibly big kids, even for freshmen.

Wonder if we'll ever see a 2020 roster.

I was looking at the Eds freshmen roster. The Eagles have some incredibly big kids, even for freshmen.

Wow, I took a look after seeing this post and that is some incredible size for a freshman roster. Looks like they could have quite a basketball class as well (counted nearly 10 kids 6’3” or taller and 3 6’6” or taller).

Any word on the size / talent of the incoming class at Wildcat High? Freshman football numbers have been trending down for years anyway, but wondering if the pandemic caused a step change.

Well, the real Ohio high school football season begins tomorrow. I look for a 13 point Ignatius win. Ignatius kicking game will be the key, as it will in all the remaining games.