2020 St. Edward Football

Just my opinion, Ramos is a very talented kid. Skilled running and a good arm. He will get better. It's his decision making that needs to improve, and it will.
He was under siege tonight, it's hard for an inexperienced QB to play with confidence when he knows that's coming with every pass play that comes in from the sidelines. It speeds up your mind, and you decide where you're going with the ball before you even get the snap. Or you just end up bailing too soon.

Not surprised with the loss, just the convincing nature of it. Hoban is a clear notch above Massillon and LaSalle in D II right now. Things can change over a month or two, though.

Lot to learn from on this one.

Hoban looked better on paper, and even better on the field. Let's be honest, Eagles are lucky not to be 0-2 at this point. Quality of opponents certainly plays into that, but this group is just not ready for prime time, particularly the offense. Not ready to kill the young QB just yet in his second varsity start (I'm not a heartless old bastard like arizonawildcat), but Ramos is clearly not as ready for the spotlight as we thought he would be. Week one looked like he was working out some major jitters. Tonight he was just happy to get out of there alive. O-line was getting killed up front. We don't have a real tackle body out there. They look rather short and stout across the front. Less than 200 yards offense in back to back weeks does not bode well. Running backs aren't working with much room, and the receivers don't appear to be getting much separation right now.

Most of us expected the defense to carry the team early on, but even they appear to be working through growing pains. Lot of bad reads from the LB's, and the missed tackles from week one carried over to tonight. Cannot set the edge. Need Bixby back in a big way. Front seven was thought to be the strength, but is clearly underperforming right now. Good year to be guaranteed a playoff spot. I just hope 6 games is enough to work out the plethora of issues this team has.

Hoban looked better on paper, and even better on the field. Let's be honest, Eagles are lucky not to be 0-2 at this point. Quality of opponents certainly plays into that, but this group is just not ready for prime time, particularly the offense. Not ready to kill the young QB just yet in his second varsity start (I'm not a heartless old bastard like arizonawildcat), but Ramos is clearly not as ready for the spotlight as we thought he would be. Week one looked like he was working out some major jitters. Tonight he was just happy to get out of there alive. O-line was getting killed up front. We don't have a real tackle body out there. They look rather short and stout across the front. Less than 200 yards offense in back to back weeks does not bode well. Running backs aren't working with much room, and the receivers don't appear to be getting much separation right now.

Most of us expected the defense to carry the team early on, but even they appear to be working through growing pains. Lot of bad reads from the LB's, and the missed tackles from week one carried over to tonight. Cannot set the edge. Need Bixby back in a big way. Front seven was thought to be the strength, but is clearly underperforming right now. Good year to be guaranteed a playoff spot. I just hope 6 games is enough to work out the plethora of issues this team has.
Good analysis, and I expect the same from Ignatius, minus the experienced defense.

He was under siege tonight, it's hard for an inexperienced QB to play with confidence when he knows that's coming with every pass play that comes in from the sidelines. It speeds up your mind, and you decide where you're going with the ball before you even get the snap. Or you just end up bailing too soon.
Sure could of used help with a blocking back up front. OL seemed to be out numbered all night by a talented group.

Resent the "heartless" remark. My heart is the only part of my body that works as it should. I've seen Ramos in three games: last year JV's game, and the two so far this year. I am comparing him to Ed's QBs in the 10 years or so, and IMO he comes up short.

Postgame chat on the D.

FWD:“C.J was at 17-18 tackles. We cannot expect him to carry the front every play when he is targeted to be blocked. #33 had the job tonight most plays. Multiple times he took the block on. In the past we have had a backside LB to make that tackle but that is not happening consistently right now. The good news is we have some kids we rotate and have made a few plays, the problem is no one is separating themselves from the pack. C.J will catch the backlash as a 3 year starter but he fought his tail off for 4 quarters. As Massillon did and Hoban did, they will run at him to get a body on him so we need to make some adjustments”

Resent the "heartless" remark. My heart is the only part of my body that works as it should. I've seen Ramos in three games: last year JV's game, and the two so far this year. I am comparing him to Ed's QBs in the 10 years or so, and IMO he comes up short.

Ramos took the worst pounding I’ve seen in 10 years or so...

Eds is still in the same boat. Offense needs a playmaker. One player that resembles a playmaker is Goodall. It’s Eds, there has to be another athlete to put opposite of him. This will open up the pass game, and the run game. Until then defenses will load the box.

Defensively they will be fine. A few positions are open and Bixby returning will help tremendously. As the offense starts moving the ball more that will take pressure off the D.

Eds will be just fine.

Ramos took the worst pounding I’ve seen in 10 years or so...
The worst pounding I ever saw a high school QB take was by Eric Williams in the two St. Ed's games in 2011. St. Ed's beat the crap out of him but he kept standing up to lead Ignatius to two victories.

The result is not a shock, but the score and comments about Hoban domination are sure a surprise.

I'm not sure anyone thought that 35-0 was going to be the final score. They were a better team at most positions and had much more experience. No need to panic for Eagles' fans. Through two games we have barely had a run game, which is a young qb's best friend. Massillon and Hoban are big and athletic teams that we struggled with. Last night we got punched in the mouth in every facet. I would compare it to the Notre Dame-Clemson game in the CFP, we are not a bad team but needing to run a screen just to get some yards shows you how good Hoban is. Our receivers had trouble getting open and our qb didn't have the time really anyway. The run game was nonexistent outside of a couple qb runs, one of which resulted in a fumble.

The defense battled. Bixby maybe would have made a difference in not giving Hamm as much time. They forced Hoban to work for their points, we can say that Hoban earned most of them offensively. But they were a buzzsaw that we ran into, no doubt about that. A lot of learn from. This is a St. Ed's team that can't just go out and out talent people. They need confidence in what they are doing and some bread and butter plays to fall back on offensively. The defense will continue to evolve like it usually does. We will be ok week 7.

I'm not sure anyone thought that 35-0 was going to be the final score. They were a better team at most positions and had much more experience. No need to panic for Eagles' fans. Through two games we have barely had a run game, which is a young qb's best friend. Massillon and Hoban are big and athletic teams that we struggled with. Last night we got punched in the mouth in every facet. I would compare it to the Notre Dame-Clemson game in the CFP, we are not a bad team but needing to run a screen just to get some yards shows you how good Hoban is. Our receivers had trouble getting open and our qb didn't have the time really anyway. The run game was nonexistent outside of a couple qb runs, one of which resulted in a fumble.

The defense battled. Bixby maybe would have made a difference in not giving Hamm as much time. They forced Hoban to work for their points, we can say that Hoban earned most of them offensively. But they were a buzzsaw that we ran into, no doubt about that. A lot of learn from. This is a St. Ed's team that can't just go out and out talent people. They need confidence in what they are doing and some bread and butter plays to fall back on offensively. The defense will continue to evolve like it usually does. We will be ok week 7.
Yep, no need to panic if you're an Eagle. Reason for concern, sure, but Lombardo always has them ready for the playoffs. St. Edward is a good program and will be okay.

Postgame chat on the D.

FWD:“C.J was at 17-18 tackles. We cannot expect him to carry the front every play when he is targeted to be blocked. #33 had the job tonight most plays. Multiple times he took the block on. In the past we have had a backside LB to make that tackle but that is not happening consistently right now. The good news is we have some kids we rotate and have made a few plays, the problem is no one is separating themselves from the pack. C.J will catch the backlash as a 3 year starter but he fought his tail off for 4 quarters. As Massillon did and Hoban did, they will run at him to get a body on him so we need to make some adjustments”

My comment on the LB's was certainly not a knock on Hankins. He's been a tackle machine so far and is on pace to accumulate 100 tackles in a shortened regular season. Both he and Jaylen have been the bright spots on the defense through two games. Are we sure Bixby is coming back? Hearing some rumors he might not be playing this year.

The Eagles have not been this dominated at the line of scrimmage since the Don Bosco game years ago. Add in a four year starter at QB and Hoban is one of the best HS football teams I have seen in years.

Eagles need to find speed in the back on both O and D. The offense needs to find its personality...very few, if any, sustained drives in 2020 to date. Expect Mentor to be a handful with Kipp at the helm. The intermediate pass in the middle of the field will cripple the Eagles on D against Mentor unless they change their current scheme.

Best staff in the state, with a team full of pride laden young men...they can right the ship with some concentrated work and effort.

Go Eagles!

The Eagles have not been this dominated at the line of scrimmage since the Don Bosco game years ago. Add in a four year starter at QB and Hoban is one of the best HS football teams I have seen in years.

Eagles need to find speed in the back on both O and D. The offense needs to find its personality...very few, if any, sustained drives in 2020 to date. Expect Mentor to be a handful with Kipp at the helm. The intermediate pass in the middle of the field will cripple the Eagles on D against Mentor unless they change their current scheme.

Best staff in the state, with a team full of pride laden young men...they can right the ship with some concentrated work and effort.

Go Eagles!

Yeah, that wasn't pretty. I'm going to stop short of saying Hoban is the best team I've seen in years as this version of the Eagles is well behind where they have been in recent history. That was a loaded defense though.

As for offensive personality, Lombardo's offense is still predicated on establishing the run. We've been spoiled with great backs going back quite a few years. We don't have a dynamic RB this year. I think Enovitch and Miller have a little more explosiveness in the open field than Watkins. Ramos will have to carry a good bulk of the rushing load as well. Had that great run in the Hoban game towards the end of the first quarter down 14-0 that would have put them in the redzone, only to be stripped on the way down. Young team can't afford those momentum killers. Wouldn't mind seeing a FB/H in the backfield to help spring these guys. They are being met at the LOS far too often in our single back set. Seems like a great role for a kid like Hankins. As for the passing game, Ramos needs some confidence throws, not these one on one shots down field. Our inability to work the short/intermediate middle of the field in the passing game has been an issue for years.

Mentor is another tall task this week. Their strengths along the offensive and defensive lines play into our weaknesses so far to date. I'm worried about what Kipp will do against these young LB's in space. Not necessarily a good thing when CJ has to make 15-20 tackles a game. If Bixby is not back this week, I may have to assume the rumor I'm hearing is true.

Oh, your heartless; you just do not act on it. Lol

Just my opinion, Ramos is a very talented kid. Skilled running and a good arm. He will get better. It's his decision making that needs to improve, and it will.

He isn't alone on O, needs some help. There were multiple instances where he's getting hit before even in a three step drop. Can't put that on any QB, doesn't matter who it is. He also doesn't have many windows to throw into either. Hoban was doubling Connor Goodall, Eds best WR, basically brought the house besides that. Others have to step up. Need to work some short passing game, only saw one screen to counter Hoban's aggressiveness up front.

Have faith in this staff, Lombardo is very good at adjustments, they'll be coming..

Honestly, I'm not sure D1R1 has anyone other than Mentor that could even think about hanging with Hoban or Massillon. So Ed's may still be fine as far as a winning R1. Not time for them to hit the panic button just yet. But they better improve sooner rather than later.

Honestly, I'm not sure D1R1 has anyone other than Mentor that could even think about hanging with Hoban or Massillon. So Ed's may still be fine as far as a winning R1. Not time for them to hit the panic button just yet. But they better improve sooner rather than later.

Not that I don't agree with you, but we don't even know what kind of team Ignatius will have.

Eds will get better. Hoban is a team with ridiculous experience l.

Not that I don't agree with you, but we don't even know what kind of team Ignatius will have.

Eds will get better. Hoban is a team with ridiculous experience l.
That's why I wrote "I'm not sure that anyone other than Mentor could even think about hanging with Hoban or Massillon". Could Iggy, McKinley, Stow? Maybe. But it's asking a lot. Especially Hoban. Point being that what Ed's will see come playoff time will probably be weaker than those 2 teams. D1R1 is wide open and should simply come down to who is healthy and peaking at the right time.

If anyone from St. Ed's can get 1 ticket for Fridays game at Mentor (either from what they have or from someone they know that can get their hands on 1 ticket - hoping that there is 1 Ed's fan that can get a ticket that is not going and willing to sell it), I will buy 1 ticket for triple the ticket cost. PM me!! Thanks.

If anyone from St. Ed's can get 1 ticket for Fridays game at Mentor (either from what they have or from someone they know that can get their hands on 1 ticket - hoping that there is 1 Ed's fan that can get a ticket that is not going and willing to sell it), I will buy 1 ticket for triple the ticket cost. PM me!! Thanks.

Usually the game is on live on the St. Eds website but it is AUDIO only for the Mentor game.

I figured that would be the case for away games all year with the home school looking to cash in on their own video webcast. I was surprised that Massillon permitted us to do video for free (20,000 views to boot).

Usually the game is on live on the St. Eds website but it is AUDIO only for the Mentor game.
That does not help. I already know St. Eds broadcasts the game live online. I am hoping to see the game in person. Thanks though.

I figured that would be the case for away games all year with the home school looking to cash in on their own video webcast. I was surprised that Massillon permitted us to do video for free (20,000 views to boot).
Why not, we really are a nice group of people :) Your kids do a heck of a job on the production

Those kids were in their 30's and 40's. If you want to see a real kid broadcast tune into the Ignatius-Bishop Sycamore battle on Saturday. Production is a totally student production and it's FREE.

St. Ed's and Mentor will be shown on SpectrumNews 1 Friday night. Which means you would be able to watch on OHSAA.TV for 9.99 if you are not a spectrum subscriber.