2020 St. Edward Football

It's very difficult to evaluate this Eagles team after all the chaos this offseason. They clearly need to find an identity on O and a few playmakers. Ramos was not great and that, with the rain, hampered their play calling on O.

My only criticism of the D is how they played/positioned the free safety most of the evening. 15 yards off the line of scrimmage might protect the "over the top" deep pass they tried to prevent to Ballard, but you also surrender the extra defender in the run game as well. Most disappointing, when Massillon's O got in the red zone, the same safeties were playing in the end zone...if you make a play in the end zone, it's still a TD.

Massillon has a very good team. Should their QB play solid through the balance of the season, they have the RB and WR talent to score points.

Eagles' special teams were exceptional and finally changed the field position advantage that the Tigers enjoyed in the first half.

This Eagles team must leave the personal fouls on the practice field...can't win ball games giving away an extra 15 yards.

They did show grit and determination to come away with a win.

Go Eagles.
Really tough to prepare for game one this year, not only were there no scrimmages for the coaches to evaluate our talent, but they also had no opportunity to scout the opponent.

Last year I watched the JV game with Ignatius and wasn't very impressed with Ramos. Tonight did nothing to change my initial impression of him. Right now, and I know it's only one game into the season, he looks like a below average Ed's QB
Maybe they should get a QB from across the country to live in an apartment near the high school....temporarily.

Last year I watched the JV game with Ignatius and wasn't very impressed with Ramos. Tonight did nothing to change my initial impression of him. Right now, and I know it's only one game into the season, he looks like a below average Ed's QB
You typically see a lot of improvement from week 1 to week 2 with good teams in HS football, which I would expect from Eds, especially with no scrimmages and some inexperience on offense. Their talent on offense did look a little pedestrian to me, relative to what I'm used to seeing from them, but it's hard to draw conclusions this year after one game. They'll be facing a very veteran and physical team next week in Hoban, and although the team the Knights played last night was a joke competitively (and the game barely made it into the 2nd qtr before it was called), at least they got to go through a game prep week. They also were fortunate enough to get a scrimmage in.

Was going to post on other thread but I see it’s already shut down.

Few thoughts after reading pre and post game comments but didn’t watch the game.

A few comments about Massillon having the advantage with coaching which I thought was wrong. It amazes me when people don’t realize how good of a coaching staff Ed’s has in Lombardo, Scanlon for the offensive line and Papas for the defensive coordinator. Usually in the state championship threads, the teams will say they didn’t realize how good they are at game adjustments. Much like the legend Chuck Kyle.

The special teams advantage went to Ed’s as I expected in all around play. Slattery and Rios were phenomenal and both made game changing plays and aren’t SEC or top 2 kickers like Massillon has. This was the difference in the game as I expected.

Sounds like Ballard was as good as advertised.

Congrats Eagles on the win!

I was vey impressed with the video coverage from SEHS broadcasting. Hats off to them. Great coverage.

I was vey impressed with the video coverage from SEHS broadcasting. Hats off to them. Great coverage.

Me too. I honestly didn't find them too homery, they were very complimentary of the Massillon team, seemed to know the players and even explained why they couldn't get that post out the way. :D

Me too. I honestly didn't find them too homery, they were very complimentary of the Massillon team, seemed to know the players and even explained why they couldn't get that post out the way. :D
Yes, the post was a problem. But the quality of the picture was awesome.

A
It's very difficult to evaluate this Eagles team after all the chaos this offseason. They clearly need to find an identity on O and a few playmakers. Ramos was not great and that, with the rain, hampered their play calling on O.

My only criticism of the D is how they played/positioned the free safety most of the evening. 15 yards off the line of scrimmage might protect the "over the top" deep pass they tried to prevent to Ballard, but you also surrender the extra defender in the run game as well. Most disappointing, when Massillon's O got in the red zone, the same safeties were playing in the end zone...if you make a play in the end zone, it's still a TD.

Massillon has a very good team. Should their QB play solid through the balance of the season, they have the RB and WR talent to score points.

Eagles' special teams were exceptional and finally changed the field position advantage that the Tigers enjoyed in the first half.

This Eagles team must leave the personal fouls on the practice field...can't win ball games giving away an extra 15 yards.

They did show grit and determination to come away with a win.

Go Eagles.
Very good take. Watched the game back this afternoon. I do think they will be fine. Coaches and players always find a way to win.

Special Teams came up huge for the Eagle.
Rios K
Slattery P.

Offensively they got going as they game went on and they will only get better. WR could use another player. Goodall creates space and any other DB that was a touchdown on the INT. Very impressed in Ramos ability to run the ball. That has to be a relief for him in getting his first Varsity game over, vs Massillon. I think his mechanics most throws were good but no real chance to get into a rhythm because Eds did not throw a whole lot. The scramble and pass to TE Cook was a great play. Having that ability are plays that can make a team great. TE Cook made some plays despite some blocking issues. The Jr RB was very good in limited carries and really runs hard. The #1 Castleberry should be on offense

Defensively there were a few bumps as expected for Eds. Ballard was bound to make a few plays, he is a phenomenal player. MW RB was very tough. With Bixby not on the field Hankins played more on the edge and at times seemed out of position. The front looked like a jumbled mess at times. The first series Hankins had a big collision with RB, and never blitz after on the interior after which was the only thing that had me head scratching. In my time seeing him his jump on the interior is hard to block but takes more of a shadow role, almost wasted at times last night. DE Calhoun provides a consistent rush, Aden was the player getting some push and DBs looked pretty good. No other coaches in Ohio are better, especially their defensive staff so as the offense will do, they will only get better.

The St Ed’s Box cast broadcast was First Class. Great camera work with outstanding announcers. Props to the first class AD staff and Eagle alumni for setting the standard!!!

The Holy Cross Bowl this week against Hoban. Last game was in 2016, which was a hard hitting defensive contest down in Akron. The Eagles came away with a 10-7 victory, blocking a late FG attempt to seal it. Before that, there were several games in the 60s, with Hoban winning 7 of the 8 matchups. Dark times for St. Ed's football there, but they stopped playing just before the Big Green Machine came about.

Interesting first game. Outplayed most of the night, but some timely play calling and special teams come through. Lack of scrimmages really showed. I understand Venson is a load, but way too many missed tackles on him. Defense was definitely knocking off the rust. Lots of rotating throughout the game as expected. Given what they were up against, I thought the secondary performed well and it looks like a deep group.

Offense has a ways to go as we expected. In the limited throwing opportunities he had, Ramos was off the mark on several throws I'm sure he's used to making in his sleep. Should have had an easy six to Goodall that was way under thrown. I trust he'll come around. The playmakers are there, just have to gel as a unit.

Who blew the coverage on Eds winning TD? Lamp, Ballard or some one else? Did Mass have the right defensive alignment? I'm hearing no.

Who blew the coverage on Eds winning TD? Lamp, Ballard or some one else?

On the initial bubble Lamp came up pretty hard. Not knowing what the coverage call was though, it's just speculation who the mistake was on. But that said, his "nudge" instead of a real push out of bounds or a tackle attempt was probably more important than any busted coverage...

Really tough to prepare for game one this year, not only were there no scrimmages for the coaches to evaluate our talent, but they also had no opportunity to scout the opponent.
There still isn't any real meaningful film to scout Hoban on, at least not this year's version. They've at least got a full game of film of Eds playing an excellent opponent.

On the initial bubble Lamp came up pretty hard. Not knowing what the coverage call was though, it's just speculation who the mistake was on. But that said, his "nudge" instead of a real push out of bounds or a tackle attempt was probably more important than any busted coverage...

It was Lamp. He bit on the screen and then took off running when he realized it was a lateral pass. The under-throw allowed him to catch up to Kerekes, but as you said, the push moved the receiver forward rather than out of bounds and was not hard enough to knock Josh to the ground.

Adam and Carmen do a great job. Very listenable for either set of fans.

As an Edsman I've always wondered how their broadcasts sound to outsiders. I would imagine that it sounds just fine with an understandable homer side from Carmen that is genuinely passionate.

It was Lamp. He bit on the screen and then took off running when he realized it was a lateral pass.

Agree, with ya... Just saying we don't know if he was in a zone with flat responsibilities and had help over the top or something (though I don't believe he did, just none of us can be 100% certain the coverage call unless on Massillon's roster or staff), so was being a little generous with the coverage aspect.