2020 NFHS Rules Changes

zebrastripes

DEFINING TEAM DESIGNATED REPRESENTATIVE FOR PENALTY DECISIONS [1-4-1, 1-4-4 (NEW), 2-32-5, 3-5-2, 10-1-1, 10-1-2, 10-2-4]
Rationale:
Prior to the game, the head coach will notify the referee of the designated representative (coach or player) who will make decisions regarding penalty acceptance or declination.

HALFTIME INTERMISSION OPTION FOLLOWING WEATHER DELAY [Table 3-1 NOTES 2 (NEW)]
Rationale:
The halftime intermission may be shortened by mutual agreement of opposing coaches if a weather delay occurs during the last three minutes of the second period.

40-SECOND PLAY CLOCK CLARIFICATION [3-6-1a(1)e EXCEPTIONS 2 and 3 (NEW)]
Rationale:
To eliminate a potential timing advantage gained by the defensive team, the rules committee approved the play clock being set to 40 seconds when an officials’ time-out is taken for an injury to a defensive player or a defensive player has an equipment issue.

25-SECOND PLAY CLOCK CLARIFICATION [3-6-1a(1)f (NEW)]
Rationale:
Following a legal kick when either team is awarded a new series, the play clock will be set to 25 seconds.

DISCONCERTING ACT PENALTY RECLASSIFIED [7-1-9 (NEW), 7-1-9 PENALTY (NEW), 9-5-1d]
Rationale:
Disconcerting acts or words by the defense has been reclassified from a 15-yard unsportsmanlike foul to a 5-yard foul.

SPIKING THE BALL TO CONSERVE TIME (7-5-2 EXCEPTION)
Rationale:
The exception to allow a player to conserve time by intentionally throwing the ball forward to the ground immediately after receiving the snap, has been expanded to include any player positioned directly behind the center. This exception now includes snaps that are not hand-to- hand.

2020 EDITORIAL CHANGES
TABLE 1-3-1, 2-41-9, 3-4-8, 7-2-5a, b and c (NEW), 7-5-12, 8-2-4, 10-4-2 EXCEPTION, 10-5-1j, PENALTY SUMMARY, NFHS OFFICIAL FOOTBALL SIGNALS, APPENDIX, INDEX

2020 POINTS OF EMPHASIS
  1. Sportsmanship
  2. Intentional Grounding
  3. Ineligible Downfield and Line of Scrimmage Formation

So I get that you can spike it from the shotgun?

Would you like to explain disconcerting acts and words? Will the change from a 15 to a 5 make it more likely a defense may engage in this a little more with less of a potential penalty?

Would you like to explain disconcerting acts and words? Will the change from a 15 to a 5 make it more likely a defense may engage in this a little more with less of a potential penalty?
The majority of coaches and players didn't know what the rule was in 2019 and won't know the rule in 2020 either.

The likely reason this change was the Rules Committee feels it needs addressed but the only way to get officials to actually penalize it was to lessen the penalty.

The majority of coaches and players didn't know what the rule was in 2019 and won't know the rule in 2020 either.

The likely reason this change was the Rules Committee feels it needs addressed but the only way to get officials to actually penalize it was to lessen the penalty.
Do many people even know what "disconcerting acts or words" means?
I am not that smart, but I know some stuff and I had to look up what it even meant.

I don't mind changing the spiking rule but that was one of the rules that I liked in the past. It made sure a team could take a snap from under center. It is embarrassing how many HS and college QBs are unable to complete one of the most basic plays in all of football. This lack of a fundamental skill also affected being able to pull off a simple QB sneak (looking at you Urban Meyer).

Do many people even know what "disconcerting acts or words" means?
I am not that smart, but I know some stuff and I had to look up what it even meant.
It should be pretty obvious for an official to tell when a defensive player is legitimately communicating with teammates as opposed to clearly trying to disrupt the snap count or cause a false start. In basketball I think of a defensive player yelling something out right as the free thrower goes into his shooting motion - that's disconcertion.

Like most fouls, this needs to be clear and obvious to throw the flag.

Could you please elaborate on point of emphasis 3. Ineligible down field and los formation. Thanks.