2020 Lake Catholic Football

After a few rough moments in the first half LC specifically the LC defense absolutely dominated in the second half to beat CVCA 35-21. They will be on the road next week to take on Canal Fulton Northwest.
That was impressive. Really thought CVCA would grind game down in 2nd half. LC's defense was really something.

Northwest had the worst showing of any #1 seed in D4 last night. They like to run the QB as well, but while he's a better athlete than Bevington, he also tends to turn the ball over more.

That was impressive. Really thought CVCA would grind game down in 2nd half. LC's defense was really something.

Northwest had the worst showing of any #1 seed in D4 last night. They like to run the QB as well, but while he's a better athlete than Bevington, he also tends to turn the ball over more.

Watching the live stream, I kept switching back and forth from other games. Every time I switched back, LC had another score. It also looked like the LC defense would not be able to stop CVCA. Kudos to the LC kids, they really turned things around in the second half.

Watching the live stream, I kept switching back and forth from other games. Every time I switched back, LC had another score. It also looked like the LC defense would not be able to stop CVCA. Kudos to the LC kids, they really turned things around in the second half.
Lake took over both lines a scrimmage. They had CVCA QB ( who is a fantastic talent) running for his life. The offensive line seemed to wear down CVCA dline in the second half as well. If you just go by score it seems like Lake has a legitimate chance against Northwest this coming week. But to be honest I haven’t watched them play.

NW strengths are the vertical passing game and pass defense. Many of the long pass plays come on broken plays. QB is mobile and athletic, and pulls defensive backs off their men while scrambling around behind LOS.

Weaknesses are offensive line, turnovers, and run defense. CVCA ran for over 300 yards on them.

Teams that blitz, stick to their men in pass coverage, and control the clock have done best against them (Shaw, Fairless). CVCA played well against NW and led at the half. A couple of big pass plays on missed coverage and a couple turnovers (one on an interception in the end zone) or that game could have gone the other way.

I rewatched the game from last night. Brady Bowser turned the game around on defense for Lake Catholic. Made the huge stop on 4th and 1 deep in CVCA territory, which set up the tying touchdown. Got to Bevington’s arm, causing the interception that set up the next score to take the lead. Was a heat seeking middle to the ball on other plays.

As said above, CVCA stayed with Northwest. It was 25-28 midway through the 4th quarter in week 2 with CVCA at midfield. Drive stalled and Northwest went up by 9 with about 4 mins to go. They tacked another TD at the end, to their credit.

But if Malchesky plays like he did last night and all season, and the defense stays sound like the second half last night, this could go either way.

It will be fascinating to watch.

Should be a good game. CVCA only common opponent, with similar results. Although CVCA is a much better team now than at the beginning of the season. NW did not play anyone the caliber of Walsh or Kirtland.

Happy to see Lake survive and advance! Props to Coach Gibbons and his staff & players on a job well done knocking off the 1 seed.

Ursuline will be tough, as they have their old coach back at the helm and a lot of athletes, but we shall see...

Best of luck next Saturday to our friends just down the road!

Wow, what a win! Knocking off the #1 seed has to have these guys thinking they can run the table. I've been following Lake since the 90's and aside from winning State, this has to go down as one of the best playoff wins.

I think Lake will have to open up their passing game some. The QB seems to be handcuffed under the new OC. The offense appears to be one dimensional. At this point in the postseason, teams can load the box and take away the running game if that's all you do.

I think Lake will have to open up their passing game some. The QB seems to be handcuffed under the new OC. The offense appears to be one dimensional. At this point in the postseason, teams can load the box and take away the running game if that's all you do.
At this point of the season, you are what you are. Not sure significantly changing the philosophy and play book in November is a great idea. Sure, take some strategic shots down the field, but you're not going to reinvent the wheel at this point.

I know I'm a little late here but congratulations to All-State Cougars: Joe Malchesky (also Tony Fisher player of the year from the News Herald), Ryan Joy, Simon Taraska, and Sean Gibbons.

Also, Congrats to head coach Mary Gibbons on being named 2020 Cleveland Browns High School Coach of the Year.

Well deserved for all. Go Cougars!

Very impressed with Malchesky in the games I saw. Does he have any college offers so far?