2020-2021 NE8 Conference

BTrev

Struthers got the season started with a 64-51 win against Canfield on Tuesday, then followed it up with a 77-52 win against Fitch last night.
Poland's season opener was a 61-56 win against Canfield on Friday.
South Range lost their season opener to West Branch, 55-40 back on November 27.
Jefferson lost their first 2 games of the season on Thursday and Friday. 70-27 to Lisbon and 74-52 to Perry.

Standings after Week 1...
1. Struthers 2-0
2. Poland 1-0
3. South Range 0-1
4. Jefferson 0-2
Girard 0-0
Lakeview 0-0
Hubbard 0-0
Niles 0-0

Games this week include...
Jefferson vs Edgewood on Tuesday 12/8.
South Range vs Canfield on Tuesday 12/8.
Struthers vs Jefferson on Friday 12/11.
South Range vs Mooney on Saturday 12/12.
Not sure who and when Poland plays next.

*Due to Trumbull County shutting down athletics until January, Girard, Lakeview, Hubbard, and Niles haven't played yet.*

Struthers is still working the kinks out trying different lineups, but they are far more talented then any NE8 team by a long shot, can play 9 guys and not skip a beat. Is Youngstown school sports done right now too? I seen Chaney was supposed to play SR the other night

Struthers is still working the kinks out trying different lineups, but they are far more talented then any NE8 team by a long shot, can play 9 guys and not skip a beat. Is Youngstown school sports done right now too? I seen Chaney was supposed to play SR the other night

Yeah. Cats are solid. I knew they’d be good... but I’m a little surprise how deep they are.

Aden Slocum SR G 6’0
Trey Metzga SR G/F 6’5
Brandon Washington SR G 6’2
Luke Barker SR G 6’0
Colin Ryan SR G 5’8
Keaton Kimble SR F 6’1
Will Bloom SR F 6’3
Ronnie Leonard JR F 6’6
Sal Shaffer JR F 6’5
Nick Del Grada SO G 6’3

Once coach figures out who to start and who to bring off the bench, Struthers can really make a nice run. They can play big or small, fast or slow. This could be the best Struthers team since the 2010-2011 team.
Poland might be the only team that can challenge the Cats this season, just because of their muscle in the pain and their keep away offense. Girard should also be tough, but they’re still really young and they’re getting started a month later... I don’t think this will be their year... watch out for them next year, though.

I’m not sure what is going on with East and Chaney. It’s gonna b an interesting season.

Yeah. Cats are solid. I knew they’d be good... but I’m a little surprise how deep they are.

Aden Slocum SR G 6’0
Trey Metzga SR G/F 6’5
Brandon Washington SR G 6’2
Luke Barker SR G 6’0
Colin Ryan SR G 5’8
Keaton Kimble SR F 6’1
Will Bloom SR F 6’3
Ronnie Leonard JR F 6’6
Sal Shaffer JR F 6’5
Nick Del Grada SO G 6’3

Once coach figures out who to start and who to bring off the bench, Struthers can really make a nice run. They can play big or small, fast or slow. This could be the best Struthers team since the 2010-2011 team.
Poland might be the only team that can challenge the Cats this season, just because of their muscle in the pain and their keep away offense. Girard should also be tough, but they’re still really young and they’re getting started a month later... I don’t think this will be their year... watch out for them next year, though.

I’m not sure what is going on with East and Chaney. It’s gonna b an interesting season.
They’ll only play 8 of those 10 but 8 solid players is tough to beat

Those were the 10 that played vs Fitch. I imagine the same 10 will play this week vs Jefferson. Should be another blowout.
Yes that’s true but when it matters 8 will play. 2 are only getting in because they’re seniors. Not to be that guy but they shouldn’t be in either

Are any of the Trumbull county schools supposed to be any good?

I think Girard will be good. And Lakeview will be decent. But I don’t really expect either to challenge for the conference championship. Struthers should run away with it.

Girard and lakeview are both well coached. Girard plays hard the entire game of hannon will put you on the bench and lakeview back door cuts to death until they get an open look.

Struthers would have been good anyway, but the Barker transfer will really help. Coincidence he played AAU with Metzka for years, and his senior year he leaves a school in Western PA to come to Struthers? Smells funny....

Girard will be solid as long as Malito will be healthy for the stretch run and have some other pieces back. Could be a surprise team. Lakeview will be pretty solid too. Can really shoot the ball, and run that system perfectly.

Struthers would have been good anyway, but the Barker transfer will really help. Coincidence he played AAU with Metzka for years, and his senior year he leaves a school in Western PA to come to Struthers? Smells funny....

Girard will be solid as long as Malito will be healthy for the stretch run and have some other pieces back. Could be a surprise team. Lakeview will be pretty solid too. Can really shoot the ball, and run that system perfectly.
Agreed on barker, the kid can play. I don’t think it smells funny tho I think it’s exactly what it looks like. If the kids parents wanted to move him to play over here tho it’s their choice

There’s actually 2 transfers that played with Trey i believe. But it doesn’t smell funny because it is exactly what you think it is. Not a fan.

Gotta be weird for barker, he was laurels everything now he’s the 6th man right now

I like Barker starting and bringing Washington off the bench.
But yeah, it has to be an adjustment to go from being the #1 to being more of a role player.

Standings after week 2...

1. Struthers 2-0
2. Poland 2-1
3. Jefferson 0-3
4. South Range 0-4
Everyone else is 0-0

Struthers had the week off.
Poland lost to Boardman and beat South Range.
Jefferson lost to Pymatuning Valley.
And South Range lost to Canfield, Poland, and Mooney.

I like Barker starting and bringing Washington off the bench.
But yeah, it has to be an adjustment to go from being the #1 to being more of a role player.
Washington is too active to not have him play as much as possible, wernicki plays to matchups so barker will start sometimes, and probably earn his way onto the starting lineup. But geez they haven’t been this loaded since the first regional team a few years ago

Crazy SR is 0-4 and they play Struthers Tuesday at home. Cats took them for granted last year and got beat in Waterford
I don't think we'll overlook them this year.
SR does seem to have a decent home court advantage most years.
With hardly any fans that advantage is gone.

Barring something freakish, Cats should win on Tuesday.

Struthers stays undefeated dominating south range 58-33
Rough year for the Raiders. Losing Brooks to graduation was a big hit. Some turnover on the team too. A couple of guys not playing this year from last year and a couple new guys that haven't played for a awhile. Then with covid, I'm not sure if any guys have had to sit out. (No family on the team so I haven't been able to attend any games) I know there have been some positive cases in the high school. It's going to take some time to build some chemistry, but hopefully they will be a harder team to beat at the end of the season than they are now.

Rough year for the Raiders. Losing Brooks to graduation was a big hit. Some turnover on the team too. A couple of guys not playing this year from last year and a couple new guys that haven't played for a awhile. Then with covid, I'm not sure if any guys have had to sit out. (No family on the team so I haven't been able to attend any games) I know there have been some positive cases in the high school. It's going to take some time to build some chemistry, but hopefully they will be a harder team to beat at the end of the season than they are now.
Offense is struggling, one of the better defenses we played so far tho