2019 OHSAA State Championship Games Attendance X-Factors

Weather. New teams such as Springfield, Clyde, etc. Match ups. And honestly whether a team playing is a community that gets spectrum to give people a reason to stay home.

But year over year attendance trends down and the biggest surprise factor will be if Massillon brings any more this year because they seem like a team on a mission and might finally break that title drought.

Weather looks good for early December in Ohio. Just cold. But no precipitation expected.

Massillon will bring more but the attendance might be close to what it was last year because Lasalle will have way less then what Hoban had.

I don’t understand the fascination with finals attendance. I’ll go when my team is in it, and most of my town will as well. I don’t really care if 1,000 assistant coaches from across the state are there or not. They don’t make any noise or contribute to the vaunted ‘atmosphere’ I’m always hearing about. Most of the people complaining generally have some sort of axe to grind with the OHSAA.

I don’t understand the fascination with finals attendance. I’ll go when my team is in it, and most of my town will as well. I don’t really care if 1,000 assistant coaches from across the state are there or not. They don’t make any noise or contribute to the vaunted ‘atmosphere’ I’m always hearing about. Most of the people complaining generally have some sort of axe to grind with the OHSAA.
Ironically, it's mainly the anti-Canton crowd that's fascinated with attendance numbers and has the axe to grind that you mentioned.

Farrell has 86 boys 9-11 on the visitor side. Private school on the home side.

At game time I'm guessing about 1000-1100. Farrell has about 300-400 fans here after kickoff. Not bad for a school making a 262 mile drive on a Thursday morning and the game on basic cable back home. Bishop Guilfoyle had a 143 mile drive since in 1A district six is on the eastern side of the bracket despite being in the western half of the state.

Farrell won 10-7, ot.
Hell of a game. Underdog Bishop Guilfoyle did their best to keep Farrell's offense off the field and played as mistake free as possible. But it just wasn't enough. Farrell is a heavy run team. Only 2 of 8 passing. BG was 2 of 5 with a pick. Passing game was trouble with 20mph plus faster gusts. Two 1 yard runs and a ridiculous 22 yard FG into the wind barely cleared the crossbar.

Back to attendance. Went to four games after the team I follow lost
I was surprised at the age range. Students yes, but then older parent/grandparent types. Since that is my age group (80 up), I wonder how many of us will be replaced down the road or will be replaced?

It's still early morning, but I'm anxiously awaiting sunrise. Could it be that with that large of a loss of attendance sunrise will not occur?
I hope not. IMO just crazy to have a Thur. night game expecting people from Cincy to basically take two days off to watch a H.S. football game. Sat. night going up against OSU. Better I believe to play 2 games on Sunday and do away with the Thursday night and Sat. night games.

In all reality and history backs this up, I would like to see OHSAA look into splitting these games up move the D - 6 and D - 7 to Piqua ( if Piqua would be interested ). I mean 90 % chance or higher you are going to have a MAC school in the finals in one of those games. Piqua holds 8000 people, I believe each game would be close to a sell out.

For just NEO people. NWO, SWO, SEO, and Central Ohio people want it in Columbus

The answer is simple, as it has always been: they should get someone from Columbus to put in a bid. Either that, or stop complaining. No ," What if they could convert Mapfre?" Put in a legitimate bid.

NEO just whine's so loud. Everyone I've met in person thinks it's stupid to have in Canton

No one in NEO is whining; the games are here. The whiners are those who complain about the location, yet, when it comes to actually doing something, they just sit behind their computer and whine. "WHAAAAA! Everybody hates Canton. They should be in Columbus!" " Well, then, organize a bid to get the games moved to Columbus, where they have been before." " WHAAAAA! Everybody hates Canton. They should be in Columbus!" Enough said.

Hell of a game. Underdog Bishop Guilfoyle did their best to keep Farrell's offense off the field and played as mistake free as possible. But it just wasn't enough. Farrell is a heavy run team. Only 2 of 8 passing. BG was 2 of 5 with a pick. Passing game was trouble with 20mph plus faster gusts. Two 1 yard runs and a ridiculous 22 yard FG into the wind barely cleared the crossbar.

And that was Brian Hilton (RB)'s first FG attempt ever. Coach asked him to kick and he said, "I'll get the job done, Coach". Great job Brian!
The game was carried statewide on PCN-TV available only in PA or for a fee streaming, so I didn't see it except on local news. Bob Greenburg had a great call-said it cleared by less than a yard.

Why we no longer attend:

1. Weather. It could be 60 degrees or it could be 10 degrees and snowing. As a couple in their early 60s who used to attend championship weekend religiously--this a major factor.
2. Location. Being from the Toledo/Fremont area, nothing about Canton excites me. Been to the HOF, ate at their restaurants, etc. I don't know where to have it. Ideally if Ohio had some place with a dome in the Marion area, you would sell many more tickets. Not happening so let the location discussion continue.
3. This year especially, unfamiliar teams--we used to go and love the watch the Moellers, Coldwaters, Iggys,, and others. It is good for HS football to see new names, but it does NOT help with attendance from fans from other districts.
4. THIS:

Tickets

Fans are encouraged to buy their playoff tickets in advance online at www.ProFootballHOF.com/tickets, as the participating schools keep a portion of presale ticket revenue. For state championship games, tickets are $11 online in advance through a participating school, or $15 if not associated with a school, or $17 at the gate.
I am not going to pay for advance tickets to a HS football game in December (again, the weather) so forced to pay $17 at the gate.

We are going to the BGSU/Oakland men's basketball game tomorrow. Paid $30 for 2 tickets for a Div.I basketball game and the OHSAA wants me to pay $17 to possibly sit in the rain for a game in which I don't know the team's nicknames

Just my thoughts. Let all the haters chime in.