2019 All Ohio Teams?

Jaws31

Anyone have any insight on when the teams will be released? Not sure if the DVI and DVII will be today or not. It just seems so late this year due to the later start to the season.

Auggie

These All Ohio teams are really getting out of hand. There are as many QBs on 1st team in both Div VII and Div VI as there are linemen, last time I watched a football game there was 1 QB and 5 linemen on offense. Is it being lazy or politically correct to have 6 QBs listed for 1st team Div VI? Offense has changed so I can see 3 RBs and 3 WRs and 1 TE but 1st team offense should still have 1 QB and if really doing this properly there should be 1 center, 2 guards, and 2 tackles. Come on OPSWA, do a little bit of home work and make this thing look close to how a football team is put out on a field.

Stirred not Shaken

These All Ohio teams are really getting out of hand. There are as many QBs on 1st team in both Div VII and Div VI as there are linemen, last time I watched a football game there was 1 QB and 5 linemen on offense. Is it being lazy or politically correct to have 6 QBs listed for 1st team Div VI? Offense has changed so I can see 3 RBs and 3 WRs and 1 TE but 1st team offense should still have 1 QB and if really doing this properly there should be 1 center, 2 guards, and 2 tackles. Come on OPSWA, do a little bit of home work and make this thing look close to how a football team is put out on a field.
Agreed. The whole All - Ohio is basically a joke. Mississinawa Valley had 5 players make All - Ohio on a roster of maybe 25 players. One fifth of their roster was All - Ohio ?

Last edited:
D7 actually has more QBs than linemen if you include the "all-purpose" tag. That player was QB too. No love for these linemen! A lot of these linemen go both ways and have to play multiple positions just on offense AND defense. How about an "all-purpose" HOG category? Cut down on the QBs and RBs and thrown in extra linemen IMO.

Last edited:

The Dock

If I recall correctly, for the longest time it was just three QB’s that made first team. Which IMO was a fine number. I agree five is too many, although I’m led to think part of it is a combination of an inability to reach a consensus as to “who the best three are” (which the OPSWA should’ve been able to figure out) and “player ‘X’ was the engine behind which team ‘Y’ had a spectacular season for that program’s standards— so I, the sportswriter, see no reason to nominate the kid to be 1st team on that basis.”

Personally I’m not displeased with how asymmetric the OPSWA’s selections (in terms of # of positions represented against an 11-man formation) look, but then again I’m a D7 fan who constantly reads about how “there’s too many divisions (an argument that doesn’t take into consideration the massive numbers disadvantage between the bottom 50% of D7 schools compared to the top 50-75% of D6 schools.)”

RollingTrain

They absolutely need to do away with these teams and I have been saying that for years. It's all about stats. And now it's multiple coaches and multiple players get COY and POY awards. It's all just so diminished.

The Mississinawa example above is a perfect example....no offense to them, but five all-Ohio players??? They are 40-50pt underdogs to the top teams in the Division. Marion Local played freshman the last 10 min of that playoff game. South Central with two 1st-teamers? There's no way to do it right, so don't do it at all.

Raylan_Givens

The points about positions being out of whack are completely accurate. Then you have D5 where they gave Coach of Year to Manchester's France because he leaked out that he's going to retire this year. Oak Harbor & Ridgewood had their best seasons in school history, Ironton returned to glory, Kirtland is Kirtland, West Jeff actually made Final 4 again, and Manchester finished tied for 2nd in their league.
He's winningest coach in OH history, but that doesn't mean he had the best season.

RollingTrain

The points about positions being out of whack are completely accurate. Then you have D5 where they gave Coach of Year to Manchester's France because he leaked out that he's going to retire this year. Oak Harbor & Ridgewood had their best seasons in school history, Ironton returned to glory, Kirtland is Kirtland, West Jeff actually made Final 4 again, and Manchester finished tied for 2nd in their league.
He's winningest coach in OH history, but that doesn't mean he had the best season.
Yeah, I was baffled by that choice.

RollingTrain

What drives me wild is the absence of kids from the top teams....if kids can get their team to a 11, 12, 13 win season they are probably pretty darn good.....instead I see stat grabbers from 2,3,4,5 win teams litter All-Ohio selections each year.

How does a kicker who went 72/72 on EP/FG this year on a 12-1 team nab HM all-Ohio? The 1st team selection comes from a 4-6 team that scored 7-points or less four times. Just one example that makes no sense at all.