2018 Year In Review

Sykotyk

2018 is in the books. Last season, I attended 118 high school varsity football games in 11 different states. 220 different teams in 59 different stadiums. 36 state championship games in New York, Tennessee, Pennsylvania, North Carolina and Texas. Traveled 18,493 total miles seeing the games, including three Browns games.

As I do every year, this is a recap of my travels. The games I've seen and the thoughts about them as a whole.

http://sykotyk.com/football/2019/01/18/2018-year-in-review/

I did weekly recaps I tweeted out links to from my site. You can find them here:

http://www.sykotyk.com/football/

Pictures from this season and previous seasons can be found:

http://www.flickr.com/sykotyk/sets/

Here's some of my favorites.

Thanks. I always enjoy your reviews. You got to see a real classic in North Shore versus D-Ville. Great game and tremendous amount of future D-1 players.

Great to read the recaps and see the pictures as always.

I have family connections to Cleveland Hill, Cheektowaga High, South Park High and West Seneca West, so its cool to what those teams look like in Buffalo.

My buddies and I are trying to work our way around Ohio and see as many schools/stadiums as possible.

What are your favorite all time Ohio stops?

My buddies and I are trying to work our way around Ohio and see as many schools/stadiums as possible.

What are your favorite all time Ohio stops?

Just driving around to see them or go to some games?

For northeast Ohio, I'd go with these (in no particular order) :

Chagrin Falls
Shaker Heights
Cleveland Central Catholic
Maple Heights
Sebring McKinley
Massillon Washington
Steubenville
Warren Harding
Poland
Geneva (Spire)
Youngstown East/Chaney (Rayen)
Lisbon David Anderson
Bridgeport (closed, Perkins Field)
East Liverpool
Uhrichsville Claymont

We typically select a random game anywhere in the state every Friday and make that our destination. We have come across so awesome stadiums as well as good pre and post game locations.

I was just curious to see if you had some favorite Ohio experiences.

We typically select a random game anywhere in the state every Friday and make that our destination. We have come across so awesome stadiums as well as good pre and post game locations.

I was just curious to see if you had some favorite Ohio experiences.

Ah, cool.

Despite Cleveland Central Catholic, LCF has given rave reviews of their stadium. They play Saturday afternoons and the home opener is a big deal. I hope to see it one of these years.

A Maple Heights-Bedford game is a good one to attend. Don't be afraid to see a Friday afternoon Senate League game and a Friday night game somewhere in the suburbs. There's time enough for most games starting at 3 to get somewhere new. Some cool Senate League stadiums now. John Adams is small and hard to call it a 'stadium' but it's a great little venue now. Or JFK not too far from Shaker Heights, etc.

Run up Lee Rd on the east side of Cleveland. There's Maple Heights, JFK, Shaker Heights, Cleveland Heights, and East Cleveland Shaw and Collinwood are both just to the north end of it when you cross US20.

Been to every stadium on that stretch. Lots of good places to eat up and down the road.

As for fun trips and stuff, most of that involves traveling outside Ohio for me.

We may have to plan a Cleveland doubleheader this season. We typically hit the Cleveland area at least a couple times each season.

2 games would give us more bang for our buck.

Thanks again for sharing your experiences and travels....;)

We may have to plan a Cleveland doubleheader this season. We typically hit the Cleveland area at least a couple times each season.

2 games would give us more bang for our buck.

Thanks again for sharing your experiences and travels....;)

Yeah. Back before all the stadiums were turfed, I did a Thursday doubleheader with a game at JFK and one at Cleveland Heights. Thus past year did John Adams and Independence.

Rhodes and Brooklyn are just a few blocks apart. A perfect doubleheader option for a Friday. Early season they start at 4. But about halfway through kickoff is moved up to 3 because the stadiums are generally all unlit.