2017 Canton dIV Regional

pete penny

It looks like the same 4 teams - Luth East, Cornerstone, McDonald and Malvern- are the
heavy favorites to be back.

Maybe - I heard a rumor Bothwell might be considering a transfer. I'm not sure if he will or not, but there have been rumblings. I heard the same thing last year from the same people about Potter and Funderburke, and they were both true. There is normally some fire if there is smoke. THE RUMOR: He will transfer to VASJ and sit out. The thought is he will get much more exposure and play an even tougher schedule based on the amount of young talent currently in Viking Village. This is from a person very close to both programs and who knows the family.

I realize it is just a rumor but if that happens, it damages the reputation of VASJ & its staff severely. I'll reserve judgement for if/when this happens though.

The choice would be Bothwell leaving, not VASJ going after him. It would be solely his choice to transfer and he would need to sit out 11 games. VASJ is going to be LOADED the next three years, not sure what CCA has coming back or waiting in the wings. VASJ does not and has not needed to go after area kids to improve their basketball program. The word was he wanted to attend VASJ as a 9th grader and his parents wanted CCA. I think from a basketball stand point VASJ would challenge him more and absolutely bring him more attention. VASJ is used to players of that caliber and have extensive connections within the college ranks.

If a player is that good, which everyone knows he is, then coaches will find him. Your really reaching by saying it will bring him more attention...c'mon.

Schools like VASJ, Ed's, etc have much more experience with high level players and way more connections. VASJ also plays very demanding schedules when they have loaded teams - which they will have the next few years.

I have mixed views on transferring to get more exposure.

If you are really good (Kennard), it doesn't matter where you play. It didn't matter if he was a Franklin, Wayne, or St. Ed's. He was going to Duke no matter where he played.

Other fringe D1 players, I could see how transferring to a VASJ or somewhere could help them get recruited. However, these aren't going to big D1 programs no matter where they play. These are mid-major and lower kids that may be playing D2 or 3 if not for the exposure to scouts they get from transferring.

As stated above, the connections a school has may be the sticking point here. There have been multiple players at local schools whom I thought had D1 potential, only to see them end up at Walsh, Malone, etc. Not sure of the exact reason, close to home, no other choices, personal choice? Just seems if the school had connections they could get the kid a D1 opportunity.

Anyone want to get back on the topic? Who can challenge these teams?
The only team that I can see being a serious threat to McDonald next year at their District might be Wellsville, who McDonald beat this year in the District Final. Wellsville has a few kids coming back.

VASJ lover

The choice would be Bothwell leaving, not VASJ going after him. It would be solely his choice to transfer and he would need to sit out 11 games. VASJ is going to be LOADED the next three years, not sure what CCA has coming back or waiting in the wings. VASJ does not and has not needed to go after area kids to improve their basketball program. The word was he wanted to attend VASJ as a 9th grader and his parents wanted CCA. I think from a basketball stand point VASJ would challenge him more and absolutely bring him more attention. VASJ is used to players of that caliber and have extensive connections within the college ranks.

VASJ doesn't go after local kids? IF you say so.

You state tougher schedule. You mean VASJ playing Valley Christian twice a year? Do us a favor, when VASJ announces their schedule for 2017-2018, would you please compare it to CCA's schedule which already includes: Garfield Hts, Mentor, St. Eds, St. Igs, Cleveland Hts, Bedford and tell us about the "tougher schedule". Feel free to let us know why Viking Village will not play CCA next year? That 30-30 home half time score from last season causing fears that little brother might beat them?

Exposure - when Bothwell signs D1, please come on this forum and apologize that great players can get exposure from D4 high school programs. i.e., Davidson's interest in Bothwell. Already know that Bothwell will be offered D1 this summer.

The only smoke that Bothwell is leaving is what you are trying to generate. 100% fictional. Great young man.

Agreed. He is an outstanding young man. VASJ was his first choice for high school, but his Mother wanted him to attend CCA. You guys did play a great half of basketball against VASJ, what was the final score ? I hope you do realize that this was not one of VASJ's stronger teams. As for thinking VASJ is in some way scared to play CCA, do not kid yourself. I hope they do play because it's good for area basketball that the area teams play each other.

There is a HUGE difference between PLAYING a tough schedule, and actually beating great teams. You mentioned the teams above that CCA played this season, how many did they beat ? How many games were close ? Bothwell will go D1 no matter where he attends school. He will get exposure in the AAU tournaments and his performance in the state tournament put him on many teams radar. I have not seen the 2016-2017 schedule but I'm sure it will be loaded. This year was a pretty weak schedule by VASJ standards, that will change.

CCA has done a fine job developing a program in a very short time. I'm sure the recent state championship will only help attracting kids to the school. Maybe he stays and maybe he goes. Does CCA have quality talent to support him the next two years ? I hope he does stay at CCA because it's good for area basketball and VASJ has never really relied on transfers. If you look back VASJ has had success with kids who attended the school all 4 years. I hope CCA keeps scheduling tough teams because eventually they will beat one of those top teams.

Just remember one thing. Who was the first person to report rumblings of Potter and Funderburke transferring this Summer ? I was. I just do not post things to post things. There is normally some substance to the comments I make and they usually come from some very knowledgeable people. I would also look and see who Bothwell plays AAU with and who he will be surrounded by and what schools they go to. There are a lot of things that happen as a result of AAU.