2016-17 Hockey Season

TheDude89

Who are the contenders around the state this year?

St. Francis looks like the favorite to come out of the Northwest again.

Who are the contenders around the state this year?

St. Francis looks like the favorite to come out of the Northwest again.

I think BG will be able to get them this year.

Out of Brooklyn Ignatius and Ed's are pretty evenly matched, Ignatius beat Ed's in OT so they have the upper hand as of now rankings wise.

Out of the Kent District I would have to think as of now it's between Shaker, U.S. and Walsh.

I think BG will be able to get them this year.

Out of Brooklyn Ignatius and Ed's are pretty evenly matched, Ignatius beat Ed's in OT so they have the upper hand as of now rankings wise.

Out of the Kent District I would have to think as of now it's between Shaker, U.S. and Walsh.

BG is intriguing. Their top line is probably as good as any in the state, but they have a short bench and only play 2 lines and 4-5 D. They've made it work for the most part so far.

Iggy and St. Francis split their two games. I think those two are probably still the best in the state right now.

Kent looks like it could be a real toss up. The teams you mentioned are all solid.

Don't know much about the Columbus district but I saw that St. Charles had some success in the Padua tourney.

I think this is the weakest most of the schools in Northeast Ohio have been in a while. The gap between the public and private schools this year is not as large as it has been in the past 3 or 4 years. Hell even the gap between the top teams in the white division and the red division isn't that much this year, and most of those teams in the red have played some private schools tough. A public school might be able to pull off an upset in the playoffs against one of the "top" private schools.

AP State Rankings 1/10/17
1. Cleveland St. Ignatius 99 (9)
2. Toledo St. Francis de Sales 91 (1)
3. Lakewood St. Edward 77
4. Hunting Valley University School 70
5. Columbus St. Charles 54
6. Bowling Green 49
7. Upper Arlington 40
8. Shaker Heights 23
9. Cuyahoga Falls Walsh Jesuit 17
10. Findlay 15

AP State Rankings 1/10/17
1. Cleveland St. Ignatius 99 (9)
2. Toledo St. Francis de Sales 91 (1)
3. Lakewood St. Edward 77
4. Hunting Valley University School 70
5. Columbus St. Charles 54
6. Bowling Green 49
7. Upper Arlington 40
8. Shaker Heights 23
9. Cuyahoga Falls Walsh Jesuit 17
10. Findlay 15

That top 5 looks spot on, and the results so far this year make it appear that on any given night each one of those top 5 could beat each other.

That top 5 looks spot on, and the results so far this year make it appear that on any given night each one of those top 5 could beat each other.

Holy Name beat St. Charles last night. I think it's closer to anyone in the top 10 could beat each other on any given night.

Any thought ever given to "growing" the Toledo region? 10 teams. The other three are in the low-mid 20's.

Send the 5 Lorain County teams to Toledo? Worth it? Not that big a deal?

Any thought ever given to "growing" the Toledo region? 10 teams. The other three are in the low-mid 20's.

Send the 5 Lorain County teams to Toledo? Worth it? Not that big a deal?

Something will have to be done if the Toledo region shrinks even more. Looking at last years bracket, Maumee, Fremont Ross, and Springfield are all absent this year. Moving the Lorain County teams may seem the most logical, but will have very little impact in the grand scheme of who comes out of that region. The other option would be to commission some Columbus area teams to that region, an area which has seen increased growth in the sport and capable of producing competitive teams.

I'd like to see some sort of "super district" seeding for the teams in the Brooklyn and Kent districts, comprised almost exclusively of teams in the greater Cleveland area. My motivation being that Ignatius and Ed's would be afforded the opportunity to avoid each other in a district final when they may be the two best teams up north or in the state.

I do think they should equalize the districts, 20 schools each. Move 6 from Brooklyn:
Avon
Avon Lake
Amherst Steele
Elyria Catholic
Grafton Midview
Olmsted Falls

and 4 from Columbus:
Olentangy
Olentangy Orange
Olentangy Liberty
Troy

Then shift a couple from Kent to Brooklyn to balance things out.

I don't think it's really necessary to try to balance the numbers in the districts. The competitive balance is what's most important. Sylvania may only have 10 teams but two of them are in the top five in the state rankings.

Moving all of these teams around would just create long drives to play district games and wouldn't likely have an effect on the outcome of the district. If a district had significantly worse teams at the top then I would say it's time for a change.

The competitive balance is what's most important. Sylvania may only have 10 teams but two of them are in the top five in the state rankings.

Bowling Green in the top 5? Really? Who'd they beat that would put them in the top 5? Looks like they beat Padua and Lake Catholic from the Cleveland area...two down teams. Were they voted into the top 5 by someone?

I guess you could make an argument for #5, but it also looks like the top 4 are quite a bit ahead of everyone else (St. Francis, Ed's, Ignatius, US).

I guess you could make an argument for #5, but it also looks like the top 4 are quite a bit ahead of everyone else (St. Francis, Ed's, Ignatius, US).

Not my opinion, state poll...

http://ohsaa.org/Portals/0/Sports/Ice-Hockey/2016-17/StatePolls/IHStatePoll9FINAL.pdf

BG is a solid team. Played St. Francis tough in the two games they played. Beat the teams you mentioned and Shaker. Didn't get a chance to play Eds, Ignatius or US.

Either way, my point still remains that moving teams into the district isn't going to make a big difference.

I'm shocked -- SHOCKED, I say -- that Ignatius will be meeting Ed's in the Brooklyn final. Who could have seen that coming? How many years in a row has this happened?

I'm shocked -- SHOCKED, I say -- that Ignatius will be meeting Ed's in the Brooklyn final. Who could have seen that coming? How many years in a row has this happened?

It happens frequently, and may seem like every year, but you only have to go back to 2014 when Ignatius and Holy Name met in the final, and 2013 when it was a Rocky River/Holy Name final.

All of the 1 and 2 seeds advance to the final 8.

Favorite?

Assuming that Ed's, Ignatius, TSF and US are the class of the field, TSF may need to beat only one of the other three to win, so they're the favorite. US would probably need to beat two. Ignatius/Ed's would probably need to beat all three.

That's assuming all goes as predicted...it has so far.

Ed's raced out to a 2-0 lead early in the game but now trails 5-2 midway through the second.

Ignatius has split with US and TSF...2-2.
US is 2-1...split with Ignatius and a win over TSF.
TSF is 1-2 against Ignatius and US.

Looks like OL lost close to Ed's, beat Padua 2x, beat Holy Name.

Can anyone confirm? I don't think OL has played any of the other three.

Last edited: