2015 State Brackets

The South absolutely choked. Had the top 3 teams in the state for the majority of the year and none can bring home the title. What a comeback by Beavercreek, they looked good yesterday. But with Moe up 2-0 I thought there was no way. Hats off to Coach Bysack and her team. Great win for their program.

DeSales over Bacon in 5. Bacon led 6-1 in 5th set. Big scare for DeSales but great performance by Bacon and great coaching by Adam Goller for getting his guys ready and competing better than anyone had expected

This was the only game I didn't get to see but sounds like it was one of the best of the day. What a crazy tournament thus far.

Alter just took down DeSales in 5 sets 15-12 in Game 5 for the Division 2 State Championship. Back-to-back for the Knights.

Great 1st set. Darby called the two early timeouts and was able to go on a run to make it 13-12. From there neither team led by more than 2 with several ties and lead changes. Darby finishes it off 27-25 after Beavercreek fought off 2 set points.

2nd set not as back and forth, Darby jumps out 9-3 forces an early TO. Beavercreek kept chipping away and finally was able to come even at 15. Beavers took the lead 18-16 and never looked back 25-20. Several hitting errors by Darby was the difference as Beavercreek took strong, aggressive swings but kept the ball in play.

Darby comes from behind to take set 4. Beavers led all the way until 20-19, Darby tied it at 20 and didn't look back. 25-21.

Hilliard Darby wins the 2015 Division I State Title 15-12 over Beavercreek. Beavers led to the halfway point but Darby caught them, went even and pushed a couple more points ahead. Beavercreek had a couple bad rotations and couldn't get a good swing on a ball.

Hilliard Darby wins the 2015 Division I State Title 15-12 over Beavercreek. Beavers led to the halfway point but Darby caught them, went even and pushed a couple more points ahead. Beavercreek had a couple bad rotations and couldn't get a good swing on a ball.

Awesome! Congrats Hilliard Darby Panthers!!! Great job by Beavercreek as well!

Alter vs. DeSales was fantastic. Vandenbrock and Feltz were phenomenal. Alters all around experience and passing proved the difference. They were able to get more sets to their middles down the stretch.

To VB experts - how big of a deal is it to play two matches the same day; like they did today for the D1 teams. Is it very exhausting ? I know there's a chance it could go just three sets. Or are the boys not worried about being tired cuz it's the Finals ?

To VB experts - how big of a deal is it to play two matches the same day; like they did today for the D1 teams. Is it very exhausting ? I know there's a chance it could go just three sets. Or are the boys not worried about being tired cuz it's the Finals ?

Personally, I am not a fan of having 2 matches in a day. I agree that it is exhausting to the players to have to perform at such high levels almost back to back. I would like to even see a 1 day break in between the final four and the finals. I would propose that they move the season up a week or so and have the tournament around the memorial weekend so the matches could even be played on that Monday.

Playing 2 matches in a day isn't a big deal IMO. Teams typically play in 1-2 tournaments and/or several tri/quad matches during the regular season. This helps you prepare for 2 matches in a day. Most of the guys at this level are playing club and you're constantly playing multiple matches in a day. Is it tiring? Sure. But both teams in the D1 final had to do it.

This year Beavercreek went to 5, but had more time to rest than Darby after the semifinals.

Guess that means this title has an asterisk next to it. :stirthepot:
Perhaps it's a sign of things to come? :stirthepot:

I am somewhat serious about that. Perhaps the Beavercreeks and the Centervilles can continue to improve enough to consistently take a spot or two that the GCL has been able to take for granted?

I am somewhat serious about that. Perhaps the Beavercreeks and the Centervilles can continue to improve enough to consistently take a spot or two that the GCL has been able to take for granted?
Touche' FW. The rest of the state is definitely catching up to the GCL. The last 6 state champions have been 3 GCL and 3 non-GCL. Far cry from the 2000s.

2010 - Elder
2011 - St Edward
2012 - Moeller
2013 - Darby
2014 - Elder
2015 - Darby

I wouldn't be surprised at this at all. Year after year, the amount of players that come out for volleyball are dwindling. There are less and less players playing volleyball and more of them playing lacrosse (which is getting huge in the south). I know back in my day of playing, there were probably 30+ players that were trying out for the freshman team. Now there is no cutting any players... That's a big difference in just 5-10 years ago.

Looks like we are going to see how well the coaches in the south can develop their players now more than ever!

TheDude,

So it sounds like what you're saying is that the catholic schools actually will have to coach since they have numbers closer to that of public schools(still way more numbers but closer). For catholic coaches in the south they will NEVER experience the same that any public school in the state will experience numbers wise. They've never had to develop players like public school coaches have to and never will. Darby had 23 players on their whole roster according to their website. Moeller and schools in the south have 23 freshman tryout. There are players on the State Champion Darby Roster this year, that would have been cut by all of the big three.

Which might explain why Alter has dominated the D2 world.
They are one of the only D2 schools that consistently has a freshman team.

Guess that means this title has an asterisk next to it. :stirthepot:

I'm only kidding, congrats to the young guns from Darby, I'm sure they'll be back next year.

They should be... The nice thing is it looks like there is some good talent going all they way back to and including the middle school team. No reason that Darby's program shouldn't be able to maintain their standing. And they do have three teams (V/JV/Fr), but it looks like there are several swing players. Not the numbers of Moe/X/Elder, but enough to get the job done.

adselder90... As a casual fan, I appreciate your insight and knowledge of the game. Always enjoy reading your boys VB posts.

And I would like to extend my congrats to the guys around the block... Hilliard Davidson had a great year.

Last edited:
Which might explain why Alter has dominated the D2 world.
They are one of the only D2 schools that consistently has a freshman team.

Alter also has a very weak lacrosse team. Any correlation? Personally I was suprised to see no Cincinnati team represented in D2 or D1 state finals. Cincinnati Attack and Columbus Vanguard are usually much stronger than Dayton Air City yet 2 Dayton teams were represented. Is Dayton's volleyball in general going to improve??